Author Topic: Marketing the reissues  (Read 19181 times)

Offline Cassiel

Re: Marketing the reissues
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 08:37:35 AM »
You're a talented man Gaz. Good stuff.
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 11:15:49 PM »
I received a copy of Archie Bronson's new vinyl single, Dart For My Sweetheart, from Domino directly in today's post. This is the second order I've received directly and again comes with a little envelope of complimentary stickers, postcards, badges and assorted bits and pieces for that band and other stable mates.

Apart from that, the vinyl itself is a heavyweight slab - I'm wondering whether my record player will require extra suspension to carry it ;D I assume this is the audiophile weight that has become de rigeur in the vinyl junkie world (180 gram?).

What formats are being considered for the re-releases to cover expectations of the olde and new world orders? Are any single releases or limited promotional runs of this type planned?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:17:25 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 10:56:10 AM »
After finally watching the Mick Harvey episode of Rockwiz the other day (thanks for the tip-off, Geoff) a few things occured to me…

Graham (or another Triffid) should be on the show to tie in with the BSD re-release. Better still would be to have Graham leading one team, and Rob McComb or Marty (representing the Bad Seeds as well as The Triffids) leading the other. The ex-band mates clash angle should make the idea even easier to sell to SBS, and with an ex-Red Pony (Peter Luscombe) already infiltrated in the Rockwiz Orchestra, it would hopefully be reasonably easy to make the necessary contacts.

Best of all, the musician guests get to join the house band for the last number of the show, so we'd even have a mini Triffids reunion on our hands. ;D ;D ;D

One last idea to throw in: perhaps Paul Kelly (or Rob Snarski or Stephen Cummings) could lurk in the wings, ready to take the mic and leave Glee to concentrate on some serious pedal steel. (Not because I don't want to hear you sing on national tv Glee, but because the steel is such a huge part of BSD and given the fairly limited rehearsals they seem to have for Rockwiz it might be easier for you to just do that. A 'name' singer might help publicity-wise too. I can see the tv previews now: all-Australian supergroup tackles great Australian songbook.)

Not sure how much longer this series lasts, but I think I've heard that it's on until June…

Any chance?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:13:38 AM by Gazza64 »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
Good idea Gazza.  Glee - can you use your connections to pursue??  My best friend's partner was recently asked to do it (it may have been for spicks and specks - can't remember which one).  She had the audition but ultimately turned them down.  As a classical musician she isn't very good on music trivia.  This all happened last week - so I could ask her for her contacts if it helps.

Offline mark t

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 12:19:43 PM »
great idea gazza,  more rockwiz than spicks and specks  (former= good, latter= bad).

Did anyone see Robert Forster on rockwiz, he aquitted himself fairly well but failed to guess the name or source of a GoB song!

glee

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »
I've got connections for both. Don't know if a show with me and Rob would be riveting TV but something might be sorted that could work. 

Offline Gazza

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »
I can imagine Rockwiz going really well, especially when they have such a shit-hot studio band and you've already worked with the drummer to such great effect.

Which has the larger audience of potential Triffids fans, do you think? Doing both would be great, but the second show might be a bit sniffy about appearing to copy the first.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 03:22:59 PM »
I like the rough and ready nature of the duets they do at the end eg Martha Wainright and Dan Kelly a few months ago.Now theres a thought.Marthas back next month for the Blues and Roots.Glee and Martha duetting on Dark End of the Street.I can hear Adam salivating from here
Look George,partridges

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »
Would someone explain the format of Rockwiz and Spicks & Specks for the benefit of us placed outside the jurisdiction? They're some sort of music based game shows? What happens?

How was Mick Harvey's appearance and what did it entail?

Offline geoffm

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »
they are both  music quiz shows with 2 teams answering various music questions.The main difference is that Rockwiz is a music-comedy format and spicks and specks a comedy- music  format. So if you are interested in popular music Rockwiz is the better option.However to date the only Triffids reference I have seen is on Spicks and Specks.Rockwiz is also handicapped by being on at 9.15 on Sat night when all keen music fans without young kids are at gigs.
I missed Mick Harvey due to an early dinner at friends "overrunning".Gazza?
Look George,partridges

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »
Thanks geoffm. How does Pete Luscombe come into it then? Is there an in-studio band of the Mrs Merton/Peter Hook, Frank Skinner/old codgers variety or something?

Offline geoffm

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 10:13:38 PM »
3 on each team.2 are picked from the audience .Its done live at the Espy in Melbourne.The 3rd is a musical celebrity.Each celebrity sings a tune at the start.There is an inhouse band of bass,drums and guitar/keyboards.They back the celebrity at the start ,provide backing during the show,including belting out song riffs that the panellists must guess,then back the celebrities who duet at the end.Its recorded live,but edited.The musos are good.They are all old codgers(with apologies)Julian Wu is an advisor to the show and was a panellist on the very first episode.It works very well
Look George,partridges

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 10:26:01 PM »
It sounds like it should be syndicated. I'd probably tune in, especially if the band were a bunch of "vets" of the music scene having a larf.

Never Mind The Buzzcocks seems to me to have outlived it's usefulness a series or two ago so a decent music/comedy game show wouldn't go amiss (no pun intended ;D).

Offline Gazza

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 12:28:37 AM »
I missed Mick Harvey due to an early dinner at friends "overrunning". Gazza?

It's not really one of those shows you remember a great deal about. More one to enjoy and forget, but I do remember enjoying it. Mick Harvey came across as a decent enough bloke: significantly less debauched and a tad more conventional than you might expect of a long-term Bad Seed. You could probably even say that he was rather earnest, but with an amusing side to his character. The musical bits of the show were good but not great.

Incidentally, having see Stephen Cummings for the first time tonight (at the rather unrocking hour of 6:30) I'm less inclined to suggest that he should be singing Triffids songs. He's got a good, powerful voice (and some very well-written songs) but I can't really imagine him pulling off anything much that's on BSD.

It's been another hot day in Adelaide and the venue was baking. Highlight came when he announced that because it was so hot they were going to play a very special song that they hadn't done before and had only just learnt because it went so well with the weather. As many a Triffids fan might, I assumed that he was about to launch into Too Hot To Move. Instead we got a really good cover of Bowie's Rebel Rebel.

After that the best bit was probably a long and involved story about leaving Melbourne because it was too hot, going to Alaska, building an igloo with a veranda and befriending a young polar bear only to be snubbed when it reached its teens. Which prompts a question: has anyone read any of his novels?

Offline bdroop

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »

Don't be too horrified by this next question.

I want to increase the amount of traffic and people using and accessing this Triffids site. Ahead of BSD

I'd be interested in hearing back from all concerned on what interesting and culturally acceptable activities we should all conduct, to do so.

The simple stuff like including in all the marketing this web site address to send more people here is a given.
Driving people to the site type ideas and...having got people here..
I'd also like to hear what everyone thinks about "moves" Graham and I should be making with co operation between the Domino web site and the Triffids site to capture the interest of a new fan discovering the band for the first time and arriving at the Triffids web site.
( I haven't discussed this with Graham yet btw )

Should we get a bit more visual ? I can create specific stuff on the Domino web site and hold a lot of "bandwidth" if there are ideas coming from yourselves that require us to do.

My riff is that we have a two year period coming that could radically alter the cultural significance of the band and we need to think through the angles of attracting and keeping new fans onboard for the future. The aim here is to make The Triffids a much better known and celebrated musical entity.
You lot ( and to a degree myself ) are all Triffids obsessives, we need to get a few part timers turning into obsessives and to make that an easy a process as possible within the site.
Take Care
Thanks
John