Author Topic: Marketing the reissues  (Read 19180 times)

Offline mark t

Re: Marketing the reissues
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »
back to the elephant stamps.

I was thinking of the design on the cover of Tape two but thats too early for Marty.  But I like this one.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 11:24:34 AM »
Nice of you to drop in John, especially when you arrive with the promise of gifts!

Haven't had the chance to play around with the plaque and the tree just yet, but I'll be fairly surprised if I can make it work particularly well in this particular setting. (Which isn't to say that I won't be giving it a damn good go – I think it's a beautiful design and will work brilliantly as a motif through the new packaging.)

The two possibilities that initially spring to mind are using it instead of "It's a Wide Open Road… " and using it as a background to the design. With the former it would end up being fairly small and with the latter it might just end up making the plaque look very cluttered. The second idea might well be impossible to reproduce properly anyway – I'm not sure that enamel lends itself to layered art. I'll have a quick look around and see what I can find out, and I'll have a bit of a play later on.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »
Okay, I've surprised myself. This is a basically a bodge job, which I don't intend to leave here for very long. The colours are all over the place and the tree is very lo-res but it gives the general idea. If you've got any comments, get them in fast because I need to be getting quotes and confirming the deadlines and so on in the next few days.

Graham, if we're going to go down this route – and I definitely think that it has potential, subject to manufacturing constraints – then I'll need vector artwork that I can open in Illustrator 7 just about immediately. (This probably won't be too much of a problem, as I'm sure that Domino must have converted the tree into something more manageable than that tiff by now.)

Edit: Image removed. New one over in the Britton Street Plaque Design thread as soon as it's ready.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 01:12:00 PM by Gazza64 »

Offline geoffm

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 02:08:22 PM »
. If you've got any comments, get them in fast .

.)
Plain no longer treeless!
otherwise quite lovely
Look George,partridges

Offline Gazza

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »
Hmm. After spending an age selecting the original green, I'm starting to think I might prefer the one I stumbled across this morning.

Offline vps

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 06:18:19 PM »
That looks great Gazza!
The tree motif is new to me but I'd wear it proudly on my lapel (not too hot on iron crosses, me).
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 06:20:11 PM »
Beautiful, just beautiful.

I would never have thought of layering a design behind the lettering but it gives it all a really classy look. As you say, whether that's reproducible is another matter.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »
I think it's looking very promising too, gazza, though we need to bear in mind that the planning approval is by reference to the design submitted and any drift too far from this puts my neck on the block as the applicant if the local authority get wind and don't like it. Unlikely as long as it's only a "marginal" change, which is what this appears to be.

I'm reminded a little of the National Trust logo http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/ Whether that's a good or bad thing is difficult to say - I'm a fan but it might be regarded as projecting a "conservative" image. Might the motif be squeezed in as just that at a smaller scale but higher contrast level?

Either way, I'm happy. It's a splendid design and I'd be happy to see it incorporated if that's possible.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:32:28 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 07:39:06 PM »
Urpal, when you talk about the NT logo, I'm assuming that you mean this:

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »
That's the one.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 08:12:41 PM »
Good. As I see it, there are a number of problems that I'd run into if we were to go for a high contrast design that was much smaller, as you suggest.

First, though you certainly can't see it on the very rough mock up that I posted earlier, the tree is actually a very intricate piece of work. Reproduced too small, especially when seen from a distance, the result would probably be that it appears as nothing much more than a blob, as it does in my earlier post. (Having seen Marty's original artwork, I can tell you that the effect should be even more detailed than that seen in the badge design posted yesterday by Graham.)

Second, if we're going to use yellow for the logo and white for the type, we need a dark background. To get a high contrast we would therefore need to have the tree a very light colour. The only way to present it would be to drop the quote, which is probably more likely to create problems with the council than the current change.

To be honest, I don't really see that the council are going to be too concerned about the details of the design. We're certainly not planning anything offensive, and if we stick with something close to this, fundamentally all that we're talking about here is a fairly small variation across the background colour.

Now that I've seen it with the tree I'm extremely reluctant to go back to what we had before. The earlier design looks very plain, even boring, in comparison – but if that's all the council will allow, so be it.

I take the point that that the overall design is fairly conservative, but that's the whole point, really. The plaque is meant to say that The Triffids were never just a flash in the pan, but created something worth remembering years after the event. Something more outlandish would simply be inappropriate on a plaque that might well outlast all of us. To my mind the question is whether or not the plaque taps into something real about the band and their music, and I'd like to think it passes that test fairly well.

Incidentally, the earlier design, whether in green or blue, was never meant to be considered final. I've said all along that at the very least the fonts would change, and so far I've not really paid very much attention to a border.

What's your gut feeling on how the council would react to this?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:27:38 PM by Gazza64 »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 08:43:17 PM »
Gazza, I feel you should now finalise a design your happy with and which can be delivered in a circa 12 week time frame. I'm confident you'll squeeze the best out of the available material.

I'll decide whether to seek a formal council elephant stamp on the revised design drawing once it's clear whether the difference leaves a big enough footprint it might cause a rumble in the jungle if I didn't.

I agree that the background tree design seems an uncontroversial change of "nuance" and improves the aesthetic appeal of the plaque. The alternative of a "motif" would probably amount to the same, but I can see it might well be too squinty small to be more than a blot on the landscape.

Oh, and my wife thinks the latest design is fab and she's got a good eye when it comes to most things visual except when it comes to choosing fellas :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 08:56:05 PM by Urpal »

glee

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »
John D is looking into vector version of tree for you gazza. It does look good behind there. Not sure that it should be much more intricate than the badge version.   

Offline syd hancock

• Pimp my crib
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 09:04:10 PM »
Two thumbs up for the tree design on the plaque there Gazza.
How did you turn out to be so lightweight?

Offline mark t

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 08:27:51 AM »
from me too Gazz, beautifully balanced!