Author Topic: Marketing the reissues  (Read 19182 times)

Adam

Marketing the reissues
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »
Here's something that came up in coversation today.  Who is around today that has the attention of da yoot and who are likely to be Triffids fans?  How might we drag them into marketing the reissues?

I noticed that when Domino relreleased the Neutral Milk Hotel classic 'In the aeroplane over he sea' last year, the packaging was coated with enthusiastic quotes by people from bands du jour.  One of Franz Ferdinand was quoted saying it was the only thing he played in his car for a year etc etc.  I clearly don't need to tell anyone at Domino how to do their job, and I don't doubt for a minute that this anecdote is entirely true, but might it be useful if Domino could distribute advace copies around their roster and solicit some helpful quotes from popular whippersnappers?  Even if they hadn't heard it before, it wouldn't be dishonest if they actually liked it would it?  And how could they not?

Failing that, how about approaching people we know are fans for some smart quotes that could be used to put on the promotional material?  Nick 'n' Warren can open any door in the music industry at th emoment it seems, or how about The Tindersticks?  Maybe McCullough?  Has Chris Martin ever expressed an interest?   ;)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Marketing the reissues
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
Has Chris Martin ever expressed an interest?   ;)

Has Jamie Oliver for that matter? ;D That's the sort of interest you need to hold at arms length and give a good slapping.

I've also read the Franz Ferdinand quote about the NMH album, but only cos it's on the wrapper of the CD. That's not bad marketing, but you have to see the CD in the shop and be at least curious enough to pick it up in the first place.

Mentions like the one Warren Ellis gave in Wire only positioned in a less "niche to the point of unobtainable and barely readable" publication (aka trainspotterish) would be more successful on the marketing front.

I'm sure a lot of people do acquire new musical interests by enthusiastic reference from existing ones so the strategy seems good.

On the subject of Domino, Piccadilly Records seem to be doing a Domino back catalogue promotion at the moment for anyone who fancies acquiring a slice of their back catalogue:

http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/index.php?url=http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/ver2//genreFeature.php&&ftcode=319&genre=0&pageno=1

Does the "Chain With No Name" thing still operate? If so, Rough Trade & other independent shops may be up to something similar.

Mind you, it's always worth checking out Domino's online store as the prices there seem keen enough already.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline bdroop

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:23:39 AM »

Hello,

My name is John Dyer.
I am working with Graham to arrange the reissues ex Australia.
You can ask me stuff about progress and planning.

we've got some rather smart metal badges underway - based on the tree design Marty created. ( anyone seen that design ? ) if you don't abuse me too much ( or confuse me ) then i'll happily distribute them when i get them -to folks on the site.

i'll leave some info in the i tunes bit as well.
not used to navigating this site too well so tell me off if i'm not in the right place. j

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 12:35:50 AM »

we've got some rather smart metal badges underway - based on the tree design Marty created. ( anyone seen that design ? ) if you don't abuse me too much ( or confuse me ) then i'll happily distribute them when i get them -to folks on the site.

Hi John and welcome. I haven't seen the tree design, or at least it doesn't immediately spring to mind. Put me down for everything - even if it costs money :o

Don't worry about anyone being offensive. My guess is that you're more likely to be put upon and over-flattered than abused.

Offline vps

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:46:04 AM »
Yes welcome. Abuse surely not, confuse ... well I'm not naming names but that's been known to happen  ;), half the time I don't even know what we're on about.
Let me know oif there is anything I can do to assist the marketing effort up here in Finland though I suppose Domino has their own established marketing channels. I might however pester radio stations & such if need be ... 
Or provide addresses & e-mail adresses, etc. should you want to pester them officially. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:59:40 AM by vpsaarinen »
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »
I might however pester radio stations & such if need be ... 

Good point. I've not pestered a DJ for a while (and it had at one time become one of my new found pasttimes as a result of this forum) thinking it's probably easier to accede to a request when you don't have to bring your own vinyl copy into the studio.

Is there some sort of "conspiracy of silence" in the media by just about never playing Triffids stuff (however nicely you ask) or do they either not know who the bloody hell you're talking about or just think no one wants to hear the stuff? I have to assume the latter, but the extent of absence/erasure of The Triffids from official music history in the past decade makes the former not seem so paranoid as it first seems.

It may be down to me having an exaggerated sense of The Triffids impact and importance as against most of the rest of the world.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
we've got some rather smart metal badges underway - based on the tree design Marty created. ( anyone seen that design ? )

Any chance of posting a picture of that here John. I don't recollect it either.

[EDIT - Oh, and welcome by the way - pardon my rudeness for not thinking to say that in the first place]

Looking forward to a nice badge though. I have one of Wire's Pink Flag which came with one of their recent live albums and it always gets comments - a bit "you know how I know you're gay" to quote another thread, I guess - so a different one would ring the changes nicely.

I've sent my email to The Word asking for The Seabirds (or Wide Open Road if that's a bit too outrageous) to be included on a cover mounted CD sometime soon. Haven't heard anything back though. Also it might be time to start hanging around the Mojo forum - I understand that's where they make up their chart of what their readers are currently listening to.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:01:43 PM by Eke »

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:29:44 AM »
Badges??! We don't need no stinking...actually, I do. Would love one. And welcome John.

[ I've not pestered a DJ for a while

Good to see the restraining order's worked Urpal.  ;)

I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 01:43:22 AM »
Not so much a restraining order as a muzzle and leash ;D.

Offline genkboy

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 02:09:59 AM »
It must have been ages since I wore a badge, but would of course wear a triffids badge.

I received a pin with the latest xtc apple box, but didn't wear it yet. am using the free xtc ringtone that came with that box. maybe an idea for the triffids re-issues.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Adam

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 05:02:27 AM »

Hello,

My name is John Dyer.

Hello John.  Is it too early to ask about the sleeve notes of the reissues?  Are there going to be any essays commissioned or similar?

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 05:13:51 AM »

Hello,

My name is John Dyer.

Hello John.  Is it too early to ask about the sleeve notes of the reissues?  Are there going to be any essays commissioned or similar?

You touting yerself? How much do you charge per word?  ;)

But, yes, any scraps, crumbs, tidbits, bitesize chunks from the sumptuous feast you're preparing would be great, John. Sleeve note info especially and, dare I ask, those extra tracks...
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline mark t

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:23:49 AM »
Welcome John!
You've brought us sharply back into focus, for a while anyway.

Would that be the design with the tree growing out of the jacket in the spot where you'd normally expect the head to be?

And is there a prize for guessing;)? Getting sick of elephant stamps.

glee

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 10:24:32 AM »
Good to have John along - I'm not sure which design has been chosen (there were half a dozen or so variations on a theme) but it's along the lines of the attached.
Gazza has the tree but it might be a bit fiddly for our plaque.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:26:42 AM by glee »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 10:31:27 AM »
Marty seems to have been inspired by William P Morris ;D

I recently got hold of a copy of bad timing and it has to have one of the most attractive Triffids cover designs, again by Sir Marty. It has a distinct Pre-Raphaelite/Art Deco blend too.

Anyway I'd happily plant a tree in my lapel and see how it grows - as long as the roots don't add to the existing subsidence problem ;D.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:36:44 AM by Urpal »