Author Topic: "so High....."  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
"so High....."
« on: February 21, 2004, 08:35:49 PM »
"Well .....
There's a spot on a map, its just a tiny dot
That's where my sweetie lives, you know that means a lot....
Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham
Guide me back to the bosom of Abraham
So high you can't get over it, so low you can't get under it,
So wide you can't get around it,
Oh Jericho.............Oh Jericho"

A startling end to a haunting journey. The final section is "lifted" from somewhere. A negro spiritual? Something that's been recorded by Nina Simone I can't quite put a name to. Just goes to show that giving something new context and meaning can be as important as creating it in the first place.
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

"so High....."
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 12:28:13 PM »
Dave often borrowed  bits and pieces. Leaning is largely based on a song sung(?!) by Robert Mitchum in a film (don't know which film). Bury Me Deep has lines from The Bells by the Browns. He also quoted from various poets, other songwriters Randy Newman, John Prine etc but they quoted from all sorts of others and on and on it goes.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
"so High....."
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 01:36:53 AM »
Maybe it was from Mitchum's "Night Of The Hunter". I'm sure that spooky preacherman con sings stuff around the film - it's sort of a theme which presages the onscreen presence of the human monster Mitchum portrayed so brilliantly. I believe Nick Cave also found this film inspirational and Mitchum's "Love/Hate" tattoos were probably instrumental in this particularly attribute of the character going to The Chair in "The Mercy Seat".

glee

"so High....."
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:56:16 AM »
You're right about the film. I must get it out of the video shop.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
"so High....."
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 11:36:16 PM »
Night Of The Hunter is one of the few old black and white hollywood movies that I've seen which has "modern" themes and hasn't lost its power with the passage of time - Psycho, To Kill A Mocking Bird, It's A Wonderful Life and Cape Fear being the only other monochromes which immediately spring to mind (and Mitchum and Gregory Peck played leading roles in at least three of them) though I've no doubt there are many others.

The film was the only directorial work of English actor (and, no doubt, "luvvie") Charles Laughton, more famous for playing the Lunchpack Of Notre Dame in the original pre-Disney hollywood verion.

Offline sardines86

Re: "so High....."
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 03:39:03 AM »
Thanks - I have never seen that before :)
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline JanesAffection

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
Dave often borrowed  bits and pieces. Leaning is largely based on a song sung(?!) by Robert Mitchum in a film (don't know which film). Bury Me Deep has lines from The Bells by the Browns. He also quoted from various poets, other songwriters Randy Newman, John Prine etc but they quoted from all sorts of others and on and on it goes.

When did David quote Newman and Prine? I never noticed it, and would love to see how he managed to work in their work in his own.