Author Topic: Everybody needs a stamp, or do they?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
Everybody needs a stamp, or do they?
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »
Found this referenced on FB this morning, and naturally, nooooooobody at all came to mind: http://www.mix.com.au/music/news/aussie-music-legends-make-it-onto-our-postage-stamps/

Of course, without knocking the contributions of the named bands and musicians, what exactly ARE the criteria for being chosen? And is this, perhaps, one of those projects hinted at by glee before?  8)
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Everybody needs a stamp, or do they?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
I want Olivia Newton John - or maybe that should read "did want"? ;)

Might she have been the original "Sandy" before a storm blew up?

There are more details of the "Legends" stamps here:

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/legends-of-australian-music-on-stamps.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:08:11 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:44:16 PM »
Australia Post Legend status is bestowed upon only the most inspirational Australians. These are individuals and groups that not only amass substantial bodies of work, but are inspirational and exemplify perseverance, devotion, integrity and compassion. Hm. My point exactly. I honestly still don't get it, though. That article, while certainly written in a... shall we say... rallying manner (and somehow, I have Bill Pullman in my head. 'This will be... our INDEPENDENCE DAY! And you ALL get stamps!!'), the selection process still seems kind of nebulous.

Thanks for the link, Urpal!  :)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:45:46 AM »
I may be showing my Eurocentricity here (maybe that should be better described as Anglo-USentricity?), but I wouldn't know Ian "Molly" Meldrum if he wandered up and kicked me up the backside, which, judging by the pic on his stamp, he'd probably be wont to do.

Mind you, the same could have been said of Paul Kelly and Cold Chisel before I became at least partly culturally educated about Australian music as a consequence of joining this forum.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:49:09 AM by Urpal »

Offline stevenl

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
I may be showing my Eurocentricity here (maybe that should be better described as Anglo-USentricity?), but I wouldn't know Ian "Molly" Meldrum if he wandered up and kicked me up the backside, which, judging by the pic on his stamp, he'd probably be wont to do.

Paul, it would be good to tell you that Molly was the Australian John Peel, unfortunately I he's not.
He's more the guy who hosted our version of Top Of The Pops but to anyone growing up in Australia in the 70s and 80s, his show Countdown was compulsory viewing - even if it was just in the hope of glimpsing of something interesting.

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
Ah, like Casey Kasem! Or for my generation of Germans, Dieter Thomas Heck, maybe.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:12:27 PM »
Ah, like Casey Kasem! Or for my generation of Germans, Dieter Thomas Heck, maybe.

The fact I don't know these names either suggests to me that DJs/TV pop music personalities with a high profile nationally don't translate in quite the same way as pop stars themselves do across borders. If that's right then names like Alan "Fluff" Freeman*, Jimmy Saville, Kenny Everett etc will presumably mean little to any but the more well travelled of our non-UK members.

Paul, it would be good to tell you that Molly was the Australian John Peel, unfortunately he's not.

John Peel might be an exception to that rule, although the Lou Reed/Hal Wilner exchange about him on one of their radio shows I heard recently suggests his absence is probably more keenly felt here than elsewhere.

* Wow, A quick google tells me that Freeman was Australian! :-[ I'd never have guessed thatfrom his mid-Atlantic accent and personality. Maybe the Australian Post should consider putting his face on one of those stamps? You wouldn't like to claim Saville as one of your own as well would you? ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:21:22 PM by Urpal »

Offline mark t

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »
....... Ian "Molly" Meldrum if he wandered up and kicked me up the backside,

something like that

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Everybody needs a stamp, or do they?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:55:52 AM »
Yeah, I've since read his wiki entry and realised I've become the unwitting butt of a joke in that unfortunate turn of phrase. Roger and out.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:57:40 AM by Urpal »