Author Topic: Anniversary  (Read 15620 times)

Offline genkboy

Re: Anniversary
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
I just finished listening to all the audio Graham has put on the website. Of course I always took the chance to listen to the new stuff that was put on the site, but now I listened to everything straight away. This took me a few days.

What a tremendous experience, it's a real treasure grove. Sound quality varies, but never bothers too much. It revitalised my love for the Triffids.

Thanks for all your effort, Graham.

walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »
Thanks for the thanks. More coming.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »
Re Bowie influence, definitely KrieB. Dave (as far as I recall) listened to a lot of earlier stuff especially -  I do remember he wasn't impressed with Young Americans (I'll ignore Pin Ups) but then Low and Heroes got a lot of play. I think after that it was more hit and miss for him to say the least, even thought the Eno connection was part of what he liked about the last two, but Lodger...? Meh. I bought my first Bowie album, which I still have - Ziggy Stardust - after talking about Bowie with him. Oh - and The Man Who Fell to Earth was R-rated, we under 18s had to bluff their way in (four times, apparently). Heroes indeed...

What do people think of the new Bowie album? This is Ian McCulloch's take on it:

ďI was really looking forward to hearing Bowieís new album, but itís bollocks, most of it. Itís Tin Machine shit. Thatís disappointing because when I saw the new single I thought heíd found it again. That dignified, beautiful thing. But itís just him farting around again with all those musos Ė some weird horrible jazzy thing. So thatís him back in his box.Ē

When I read this, I initially thought it was perhaps a bit too dismissive but not a totally unfair comment based on my own first impressions. Having played the album a bit I think it's a strong one - and it seems to me that Bowie has rarely released an album across his career which is wall to wall classics (which, I might add, is in contrast with David McComb's less recognised achievement). There are quite a few songs on the Next Day (such as Valentine's Day and The Stars Are Out Tonight) which should definitely appeal to Ziggyists. It's certainly entertaining me enough at the moment to keep the record on rotation in the car.

These may seem bizarre verging on ridiculous questions out of the blue but a curious train of thought triggered by listening to "The Stars Are Out Tonight" this morning lead me to it. Did David McComb have a serious bout of chicken pox when he was a kid? And might this have played at least a subconscious part in the writing of Chicken Killer?

The train of thought went something like this: Celebrity culture (I mean by this the culture of celebrity worship which now dominates our lives and which the song simultaneously celebrates and satirises) - Am I a participant through what I do here? No, David McComb/The Triffids aren't really celebrities, and besides the glossy mags probably wouldn't have suited them much etc
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:53:58 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
I can probably find out for you regarding the chicken pox that is. Most kids at that time would have had a bout of cp.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2013, 01:19:53 AM »
Yeah, I remember having a bout myself. It was how come I definitively found out Father Christmas was my dad! Before that, it had just been a vicious rumour.

Offline genkboy

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:29 AM »
I heard the next day the other day, and it was much better than expected.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Anniversary
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
I suggest that you play it the next day, and the next then, genkboy ;)

Thinking of Bowie just now on the drive back from another deafening assault by the Swans, the following list occurred to me of the defining songs of the 80s:

Let's Dance
China Girl
Blue Monday
Same As It Ever Was
Love Cats

Not necessarily the best songs of the era (qualitative issues don't enter the room for this list), but the ones that seemed so ubiquitous at the time that when I abstractly try to recall that time now they go with the flow/occupy that mental territory (if you see what I mean). I guess what I mean is that they are the soundtrack of the movie of my 80s memory palace and I suspect that I might not be alone in this particular cinematic experience.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:44:19 AM by Urpal »

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2013, 04:07:56 AM »
Good list. let me add Prince: Kiss. Always been song of the decade for me.