Author Topic: Keep Your Eyes On The Hole  (Read 24814 times)

Offline Cassiel

Re: Keep Your Eyes On The Hole
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 10:53:47 PM »
Jill is a must. But singing what? She can't better those that she did sing, so maybe she'll have to have a crack at one of the others. Now, that will give us something to think about: which song previously sung by David would you like to hear sung by Jill?

Red Pony perhaps? Warren Ellis on violin? Bad Seeds rattling away in the background? That would be worth hearing...
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005, 11:00:30 PM »
Urpal, what are the other band members up to then (Graham aside obviously)? I hope they're unbelievably rich and happy whatever they're now doing.

Offline Prkl

• rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005, 11:04:26 PM »
Jill is a must. But singing what?

Open For You would be an obvious (and good) choice, since she wrote that song!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2005, 11:32:06 PM »
Glee could give you the lowdown, Cassiel, but my understanding is:

Jill - architect
Alsy - lawyer
Rob - teacher
Glee - musical genius (IMHO)
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 12:24:50 AM »
Well, from that, the only one who's going to be rich is Alsy... Though I'd like to think he's one of those well-meaning, public-spirited kind of lawyers...the sort I've yet to meet.

robweb

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2005, 05:50:42 AM »
my money's on ambulance chaser................

glee

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »
Jill and Alsy have kids, so does Rob. Alsy is a public spirited lawyer, as you hoped. Still does the best Fat Elvis and Lou Reed impersonations I've seen but possibly not in court. 

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2005, 09:36:05 PM »
What an image...

'Sorry, your honour, my client was not to blame; he has urges he can't control; he's just a....(rips off suit to reveal white, rhinestone studded jumpsuit and a medallion the size of Blackburn, and throws a few karate moves) a hunka, hunka, hunka burnin' love.'

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2005, 06:34:50 AM »
Nice one, Cassiel. The visions of a greased back jet black wig bobbing and thrusting before the more traditional crusty wig of the disapproving judiciary have had me in stitches.

Graham, my sister in law was delighted to hear about Alsy and Jill's marriage and asked for details of the various band member's children - names, age, height, shoesize. You know, the usual stuff.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 06:36:57 AM by Urpal »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »
If LC could be convinced to come out of semi-retirement then "Personal Things" might well be the song for him. The only question in my mind is whether he'd want to end it on a major or diminished chord.

TowerOfSong

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2005, 08:11:19 AM »
As far as international profile artists covering McComb songs to raise Triffids awareness, why not go for broke and picture Bono/U2 belting out some of these tunes? I had him down for 'Personal Things', myself. I can hear U2 doing good  justice to much of BSD, in fact. If only.
I seem to remember hearing some story around the time 'Trick of the Light' was released as a single, that both Bob Geldof and Boy George were interested in covering it, wonder why they didn't?
Meanwhile, it's quite heartening to hear of someone in the BrianJonestown Massacre discovering the Triffids/McComb, as the BJM have a reasonable profile in Australia and elsewhere. It sure couldn't hurt if Mr Ricky wears the T-shirt. In fact, I think he should recieve one free, for the endorsement value ;)

glee

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2005, 09:14:39 AM »
Never heard that Geldof, O'Dowd rumour before. Strangely enough I have made certain overtures on the U2 front as the band are well aware of the Triffids. One of our allies at Island records went on to work for U2 and we went to a few gigs, had the odd bevie together. No real success but it's not out of the question entirely. Very difficult to realise but not impossible.

Offline weasel

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2005, 11:15:03 AM »
Gotta say, like your style Moonface. Glad to see someone knows the Lanky Yank.

glee

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2005, 11:53:24 AM »
Couldn't resist it.
We actually went on the Don Lane show once. And I've been on Bert's morning show a couple of times. And Ernie and Denise. And Kerrie Anne (when she did Midday). 

Offline weasel

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »
And don't forget that talent show you did with John Kennedy - was it Star Search with Greg Evans? I remember you got through a couple of rounds.