Author Topic: Poetry volume soon to be released  (Read 5078 times)

Offline glee

• Administrator
Poetry volume soon to be released
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Fremantle Press are soon to release a collection of Dave's poetry.
Details HERE.
Also (not sure if this has been posted here earlier) the collection of writings about Dave, Vagabond Holes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:26:30 PM by glee »

Offline genkboy

Re: Poetry volume soon to be released
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »
Great !
Any idea how now soon will be ?
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »
Fab. Looking forward to them. Hopefully the "soon" will be a similar date for both of them and I can get both in the same order.

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »
Now THIS I wanna own...

(PS-333 posts for me- half a satanic number !!)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:42:24 AM by winston smersch »

Offline KrieB

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »
Oooooh! and wow!
96 pages of beautiful waste and 384 pages of vagabond holes.
Looking forward to each of them.
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »
Exciting stuff. A stellar line-up of contributors to the book. Anyone taking bets that Graham's will be the shortest piece*?

The Penguin Australia website indicates a target publication date of 31 August, and includes a handy downloadable "high res" of the cover of the essays compilation for anyone who wants to print and wrap it around a copy of Dan Brown's latest thriller to arouse the curiosity of other passengers on the tube, bus or whatever.

On the subject of the book cover painting, is it me or does it seem a little "Brideshead Revisited" stylistically? I'm not sure that's an issue as such (as its a good and immediately recognisable likeness of Dave and, as the Belgian exhibition and others have pointed out, he was an "everyman" easily placeable in earlier eras), although, and I worry about myself in suggesting this, the abstraction of a left hand might be regarded as a bit on the phallically ambiguous side. Anyway, that's more of an immediate observation in the absence of anything much else to talk about than a criticism.

I notice that there's no "add to shopping basket" button on the Freemantle Press website yet and look forward to the day. Will it be orderable directly from the publisher or should one look elsewhere (i.e. all good bookshops and the usual online product facilitators)?

*An observation on his Capote-like brevity of writing style rather than his physical stature.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline matsrep

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:02:12 AM »
That's plenty of good news in one day!

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:46:42 AM »
Naked DmC poetry: I just can't wait!
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:21 AM »
Excellent! Really looking forward to this.

What do we know about Freemantle - and will they reach the dark distant outskirts, i.e. Scandinavia?

Offline praxeas

• Andrew's Version
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 01:43:41 PM »
Bro,

I'm guessing that when it is released you'll find it easiest to order on-line. Fremantle Press (formerly Fremantle Arts Centre Press) are a good independent local publisher. A few of their titles have been marketed overseas (like Sally Morgan, My Place), or picked up by bigger publishers (like A. B. Facey, A Fortunate Life), but I suspect this one isn't going to make it to the shelves of Borders (or the Scandinavian equivalent...)
It is a far, far better thing that I do now, than that other thing I did before that didn't go very well at all.

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »
Bro- regarding Fremantle (only ONE e- though their are two alternative pronunciations- most popular being "FREE-mantle" the other being "Fre-MANTLE"- don't hear the second one much these days, though an Architecture Lecturer of mine used to insist that "Fre-MANTLE" was the way that the folks SOUTH of the Swan River (eg- those FROM Fremantle !!) pronounced it.

All this trivia aside- Fremantle Arts Press is a VERY small printer- and you would almost DEFINITELY have to mail order a book like McComb's when it is published.

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
Bro- regarding Fremantle (only ONE e- though their are two alternative pronunciations- most popular being "FREE-mantle" the other being "Fre-MANTLE"- don't hear the second one much these days, though an Architecture Lecturer of mine used to insist that "Fre-MANTLE" was the way that the folks SOUTH of the Swan River (eg- those FROM Fremantle !!) pronounced it.

All this trivia aside- Fremantle Arts Press is a VERY small printer- and you would almost DEFINITELY have to mail order a book like McComb's when it is published.

Thanks, Winston, that's GOOD information. ALL of it.

Offline double_dutch

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »
@ Bro: mail-order/online won't be the only option ... given that Penguin Books is involved at the distribution end. I believe it's an international operation - like, the Island Records of book distribution?

Not sure about the poetry book though; these invariably tend to be small print runs. Hardly anybody reads the stuff these days - as Dave himself was, no doubt, keenly aware.

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 06:33:37 AM »
@ Bro: mail-order/online won't be the only option ... given that Penguin Books is involved at the distribution end. I believe it's an international operation - like, the Island Records of book distribution?

Not sure about the poetry book though; these invariably tend to be small print runs. Hardly anybody reads the stuff these days - as Dave himself was, no doubt, keenly aware.

Thanks for the update, DD. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's interested in how to get one's hands on these gems.