Author Topic: Forthcoming book on David McComb and The Triffids  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Forthcoming book on David McComb and The Triffids
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »
Here are John Peel's not entirely flattering comments on Patti Smith:

"in return, we have been offered two American Messiahs, have partially accepted one and will, in all probability, accept the other.

"The one is Bruce Springsteen, who was hailed by the usually responsible Rolling Stone as "the future of rock'n'roll". In truth, Springsteen offers us an enjoyable supper-club pastiche of rock's brief history, served up in West Side Story-styled tat. The other is Patti Smith, poetess. Two of her public statements should give you a fair guide to the woman, in addition to qualifying her for membership in perpetuity of "Pseud's Corner" - 1. "Rimbaud would have made a great lead guitarist". 2. "I didn't like white music. But then Jagger came along. All of a sudden I knew what to do...drop my pants".

"Third Bore [of the year] was Bruce Springsteen. Now, Bruce has certainly had more than his fair share of press in the past twelve-month, but I did get to see him in action in London and he really wasn't all that bad. Certainly nowhere near as awful as artfully down and out Tom Waits (and if you haven't heard of him then I very much fear that you will soon) and Patti Smith, who must be worth a quid of anyone's money as Bore of 1976. Try an each way bet on her for 1977 while you're at it"

"..the year got off to a bright start when the American poseuse, Patti Smith, broke her neck (not too seriously)...."

Not a fan then, John? :) I guess this demonstrates that even a "cultural catalyst" like John made the odd snap judgement that the tides of time make seem a little hasty in retrospect.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:11:38 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
Again- quite a lot to assimilate there Urpal...I think we all make snap judgments from time to time, and Dave was no exception to this (although he may have been being deliberately contrarian) when he once told me "I can't STAND Captain Beefheart !!"  I felt like I'd been slapped in the face...-Knowing how glee feels about Don Van Vliet, there may have been some KING  HELL arguments about this on the road.

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »
"Certainly nowhere near as awful as artfully down and out Tom Waits (and if you haven't heard of him then I very much fear that you will soon)"- I regard this as a particularly BAD CALL by Mr Peel. I think he settled into the role of "grumpy old curmudgeon" well before his time, and perhaps he was simply trying to get more exposure for what (he probably felt) were more deserving English and British and Irish bands of the time...Still, then "punk" happened and he seemed to have got all enthused again. I dunno- anyway Urpal, sounds like the book is a "cracking read", if a more measured and reasoned takedown of the music of the day than say, for example Burchill and Parsons' "The Boy Looked at Johnny".

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 09:17:24 PM »
"Certainly nowhere near as awful as artfully down and out Tom Waits (and if you haven't heard of him then I very much fear that you will soon)"- I regard this as a particularly BAD CALL by Mr Peel.

Not so sure... If he wrote that before Small Change was released he might have had a point.

But as for Patti, I'm astonished to see that he described her like that after Piss Factory (and possibly Horses) had come out.

Offline double_dutch

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »
So ... does John Peel write much about The Triffids in his book?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
nothing at all by John about the Triffids. The articles are concentrated around Seventies articles for Sounds & Disc and Nineties & Noughties for Radio Times & The Observer. Don't let that put you off though.

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »
Of course, Mr John Peel would have PLENTY to say about "Dave and his Merry Minstrels" in the mid-eighties- and check out the Peel Sessions for evidence of this.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
Its difficult to sort your memory after this amount of time but all The Triffs 3  Peel sessions pre dated BSD didn't they? That's how I remember it anyway. That must be a pretty rare statistic.