Author Topic: Crying In The Wilderness  (Read 29240 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Crying In The Wilderness
« on: February 03, 2005, 05:01:35 AM »
I'm not expecting this new forum to be flooded with posts. We're few in number, separated by distance and have other commitments in already busy lives.

But if you've got any ideas or are organising events that other members might be interested in then here's a dedicated place to put them and discuss - maybe even co-ordinate.

The "blue plaque" concept is one potentially achievable short term objective.

mich was suggesting a radio requests campaign, which would probably be most effective if targeted at the radio stations most likely to be receptive (indie type without fixed quotas) and co-ordinated so that requests are in multiples rather than one offs and without seeming pre-planned (if you know what I mean).

The "tribute record" idea is already a "live" topic and needs moving over here.

This all may be "pipe dreaming", but where's the harm in that?

Dream away and maybe the World will look better in the morning.
We all have our croissants to bear

mtrain

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
since we're pipe dreaming I will dream large- a "pilgrimage" so to speak to the holy land (one woolshed) to enjoy many frosty beverages and listen to the complete triffids/mccomb catalog- and if we are lucky a live rendition of "once a day" from our intrepid host....now if we could somehow kidnap van morrison and have him record a cover of "stolen property" at the woolshed.....he seems like an ornery little bastard though,  might be tough to subdue..

Offline sean

• Global Moderator
Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 11:40:13 AM »
Sounds like a heavenly dream, mtrain!  I'm there....I'm there.... Man I missed a costar show in Melbourne by about two weeks.  I'll never get over that.

You're from North Carolina, right?  That's a hell of a coincidence that we're all of an hour or so apart.  Just a couple more members and we'd have ourselves the potential of a pretty good get together.

I'm not superstitious. But I am a littlestitious

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 04:27:59 PM »
Why don't you invite Eugene Chadbourne to your inaugural meeting and ask him to bring his rake? He certainly seems to have a thing about Country Music from South East Australia. I expect he'd work up a fine version of Once A Day for you. He's also a potential lead into a whole host of NY connections. Have you seen the contributors to the recent Gordon Gano LP?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 04:46:26 PM by Urpal »

Offline Cassiel

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 11:04:41 PM »
If you can coincide this meeting with the next time England's mighty cricket team come a-gathering Ashes, then I'm there. Last time I was in Oz, a year or so ago, I went round expecting everyone to be a Triffids fan, and half of the bleeders had never heard of them or Dave. Once ended up singing the first few bars of Bury me Deep in a bar to try and jig a couple of beer-fuddled memories. Very dispiriting. Don't know why, but I'd developed this romantic image that all Aussie music fans knew of The Triffids and The Go-Betweens.

Now, had I mentioned Mondo Rock...
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 02:09:52 AM »
I'm surprised to see that the mentioning of this site on BBC6  has not led to a great increase of members, unfortunately.
I'd be more than willing to support any radio requests campaign, but it'd be so much better if there were more of us. Until now there are only 71 members, of which only 10 are active regulary. To increase the number of members we could all start mentioning this site on other artists' message boards, like Urpal did on the Nick Cave site.
There must be so many old Triffids fans out there who don't know that this site exists.
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

mtrain

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 03:41:34 AM »
I don't know crap about cricket Cassiel but I love that Paul Kelly song "Bradman"- I guess Bradman was roughly equivalent to Babe Ruth in baseball- minus the booze, hotdogs and floozies?

Offline Cassiel

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 03:53:02 AM »
Good idea Johann. I am off straight off to mention this site on the Go-Betweens site. The Triffids regularly crop up there.

And mtrain, as a pom I would not presume to comment on Bradman. The Aussies hold his memory very dear and would not wish me to say that although he was the greatest batsman ever, he looked like a gnome. Sort of Babe Ruth after six weeks on the Cabbage Soup diet...

Offline Cassiel

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:03:29 AM »
'Tis done...

http://go-betweens.org.uk/cgi-bin/chatroom/discus.cgi

Hope no one minds my choice of words, it came straight from the heart and I just went splurge. Hopefully get a few more across here; there are some decent people on there so shouldn't be too barbarians at the firewall...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 04:33:15 AM »
Great work, Cassiel. You are an angel after all.

Sorry if my ambiguous welcome caused any offence. The username seemed to have a "grand entrance" significance in the context of some of the discussions going on elsewhere in the forum at the time, which suggested a possible need to "approach with caution".

Great name. It sets the bar pretty high though. Wings Of Desire is my all time favourite film.

"When I was a child.....etc" Do you have the full translation to hand?

Johan and others might try Smiths/Morrissey related forums.

I'll put something out on the Cohen and Glide forums if I may.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:37:12 AM by Urpal »

Offline Cassiel

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 04:58:29 AM »
It caused no offence whatsoever, Urpal. As I mentioned earlier, I sort of thought I'd replied in jest but the post went missing or I had problems with the forum interface or whatever.

And unfortunately, I guest on no other forums, unless you count the mighty Liverpool FC. And not sure there are many Triffid fans there. Now, the La's, The Coral, Space and The Zukons, we might be talking. Even Gerry and the Pacemakers...

And, yes, Wings is a favourite (obviously). Though I do like the remake with Meg Ryan and Nicolas Cage... Er, I would use one of those smilies over there to the left, but I'm not sure which one is 'Yeah. Right.'

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 05:16:56 AM »
Hollywood made a bit of a balls of that one - an American Dream re-take on something a bit more substantial.

Falk plays the part of a lifetime in the original - unadultarated class. And the themes of the film are awe-inspiring and potentially life changing. As big a Biscuit Boost as Capra's Wonderful Life.

It's a shame, but the sequel was a disappointment. Maybe the fall of the Berlin Wall played some part in that.  

Offline Cassiel

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 05:22:20 AM »
I agree about the sequel. Though it did bring us/inspire the very wonderful Cassiel's Song by Nick Cave (which is what inspires the name really; that song kills me.)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 05:29:24 AM »
Are you a Liverpool based correspondent?

How did you come to stop by here in the first place? The Cave connection or coincidental?

How many members here guest on other forums to post something on?

So we can get some co-ordination here, members better identify their own chosen zone of responsibility.

Offline Cassiel

Crying In The Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 06:38:24 AM »
No, London by way of Leeds. LIverpool FC an early affliction I haven't been able to shake.

Not really a Cave forum user; had a bad experience with the mailing list a few years ago and too scared to go back...I avoid mailing lists as a rule now.

I got here through a weird route: I posted on the w-minc site a couple times 18 months or so back, maybe longer. But then had a kid, and put Triffids to the back of my mind. A few weeks back I got the urge, as you do, so dug out Treeless Plain, BSD, Calenture, The Black Swan and gave them a spin. Best thing I'd heard any ages: those albums never, ever date. In fact, among current crop they sound better and better and better. I bored my missus to tears about them, about David's genius.  I decided to go to the w-minc site again to see if there was any recent news on a tribute album, and lo and behold, here was this site. Made my week, month, year, decade. And here I am. Often. I have one convert already: the wife. Loves Calenture, just loves it. Not as much as she loves her Billy Joel  :o but I'm working on that...

Anyway, here I am, ready and willing to spread the message...