Author Topic: Sydney Festival 2008  (Read 14689 times)

glee

Sydney Festival 2008
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:11:12 AM »
Just opening this up as a topic for your thoughts - my only promise being to read and consider.

Offline mark t

Re: Sydney Festival 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 11:52:59 AM »
Since you've asked Glee, I'd be happy to hear Nick Cave do Lonely Stretch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:23:40 PM by mark t »

Offline Peter Azzopardi

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:12:57 PM »
So should I pencil in 18, 19, 20 of January or can I carve that in stone? I couldn't bare to miss out on this.

My wish list (since you asked):

Spanish Blue
Region Unknown
Bottle of Love

glee

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »
You can scratch it with a sharp object. I really don't think it will change as week before would probably be too early as far as rehearsing goes and week after is Australia Day. So not quite iron clad but very close.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
Guest singers, or guest musicians/bands? If it's the latter, then I'd love to see someone like The Drones or Snowman take on Lonely Stretch, Darling Downs take on their choice of song from In The Pines, and GB3 take on something like The Spinning Top Song.

With the last of those, it's not so much that it strikes me as Glenn's sort of lyric, but that he gets that wonderful hypnotic thing going more to do with how he arranges things. Perhaps it would be possible to get him involved in that sort of thing without necessarily changing bands.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:30:09 PM by Gazza »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

glee

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »
Probably not whole bands, thinking more of a manageable list of guest singers to cover the various styles and the band will be augmented by other players. 

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:40:34 PM »
I want Jimmy Barnes doing Lonely Stretch.
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »
Probably not whole bands, thinking more of a manageable list of guest singers to cover the various styles and the band will be augmented by other players. 

Darling Downs should still work then, given that there's just the two of them. They were seriously good when they joined up with The Drones.

If you're after someone young and hip to get the kids interested Karina Utomo of Young And Restless just might fit the bill. She's reasonably conventional on record, but when it comes to their live shows she's got real prescence and one of the most incredible screams I've ever heard. Might work on Field Of Glass, so long as you didn't mind going for a full out noise overload and (probably) losing the humour.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »
Actually, scratch that idea. :-\

I want Jimmy Barnes doing Lonely Stretch.

Have a horrible suspicion that Weasel's dead body will get in the way if this one ever takes off.

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:25:17 PM »
OK, Too Hot To Move then!
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline weasel

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I could go for Barnesy doing Goodbye Little Boy (in a medley with Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)). But I never want to hear that sheila from Young And Restless sing anything ever again.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 11:42:11 PM »
When did you see them Weasel? If it was the second night of the tour back in early June, she probably wasn't at her best. Heard that she screamed herself out on the opening night, which was the one in Adelaide. But singing certainly isn't the word for what we got.  Came to a fairly abrupt end after about thirty minutes, which would have been about when she ran out of lungs, rather than when they ran out of material.

There's a review of the show over here, if anyone's interested. I'll be going again. Incredible stuff.

Are you hoping that Barnesy will take the 'Goodbye' to heart?

Offline HVanherf

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 12:01:26 AM »
Sydney ?
Festival ?
The Triffids ?
?????

Glee,

As your steady soundengineer for al the Triffids  concerts the last 15 years, could it be that you forgot to book me for this ?  ;)

Hope to hear from you soon,

Harald Vanherf
Soundengineer The Triffids 2006  :)

glee

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 10:54:34 PM »
Harald - I thought you were busy with the Rolling Stones.

Offline mark t

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 11:40:56 AM »
When did you see them Weasel?

Supporting Magic Dirt. Yes, she screamed, and then she screamed some more. Not sure about Weasel but 3 songs was enough for me (although I stayed the distance).

Reminds me, I've worked out what ROKYS ROOM is: 'loveless' with the musical bits removed. I  bought it out of home town loyality as much as anything, but strangely I've been playing it fairly often. My tip is to skip the first 3 tracks and let the rest of it tell a story, any story.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:54:49 AM by mark t »