Author Topic: Triffids tribute - Triffbute, if you will  (Read 15402 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Triffids tribute - Triffbute, if you will
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 06:41:53 PM »
I wrote an obit here in Sydney for DMc in 1999 and Fenton gave me a great quote about David. I'll try and find the obit that I wrote and see if I can't post it up or something. Is that something anyone would be interested in reading do you think?

Of course...everyone here would be interested for sure. Please post it when you get a moment, Jason.
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 09:57:15 PM »
Melanie Oxley, any Oxley actually. Dave Mason.

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 01:15:17 AM »
Yet more great suggestions.
I will begin work on it soon - I've got a project right now that will take at least six weeks to finish, then I think a Triffids tribute show in Sydney (and possibly Melbourne) would be well in order.
Graham, I just read the review of BSD in Uncut - great review, good to see Andrew Mueller's still on the case. Wonderful stuff. Good luck with the Belgium shows too - I really wish I could be there to see it. And I have an idea where I might find Melanie Oxley too... Dave Mason is yet another great idea. He periodically plays shows in Sydney - not sure where he resides these days - but he shouldn't be too hard to find.
It's shaping up nicely...
Thanks to all who've given me their suggestions - a bunch of lookers they are too!

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »
Fenton gave me a great quote about David. I'll try and find the obit that I wrote and see if I can't post it up or something.

Is this the one you mean?

It's been in the 'files' section of the Triffids group on Yahoo since forever, courtesy of yours truly ;D

Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline Kieren

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 12:11:18 PM »
Jason

Great idea - I was thinking along the same lines.  It would be great to do the whole BSD album to link it to the anniversary and the re-release - and then to pick and choose other songs from all the other albums/EPs etc to fill out the show (if you are aiming for two hours).

Re: possible artisit - last time I heard Kathy Wemyss was in the Northern Territory - so unless she's back in town then she might be a 'no'.  Cindy Ryan and Genevieve Maynard are my next door neighbours and they are in touch with Kathy so I could ask them if you like (and indeed they might be possibilities too??)  Re: the Oxley's - I see that Peter is back playing bass as he did some recent gigs with Ed Kueppper - so he's a possibility.  I know it was a joke but the last time I say Damien Lovelock has was out the front of Angus and Robertsons signing his recent book on the world cup - but no one was buying.

Any Sydneysider Triffids fans on the board interested in something like this?
I have charts for all of the songs off Calenture, BSD, Raining Pleasure etc...

I'd be happy to help out on guitar if you want to go with the backing band approach and you need someone.  Send me a PM when things start getting clearer. 

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
Wonder what happened to Margaret Labi? She was a backing singer for the Triffids around that time- at least I think that's who this woman (dark, curly hair) was.
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

glee

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »
I think Margaret is in Sydney, saw her about five or six years ago. If she's lurking perhaps she'll say hi...

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 12:24:27 AM »
Hi guys,
Thanks for the further informative posts - TowerOfSong, Margaret Labi is definitely still around Sydney, I saw her not so long ago doing a show with John Kennedy, who I played with for a time (as did the estimable Mr Graham Lee), though my steel guitar licks were never up to snuff in that (or any) capacity. I wasn't aware of the yahoo group, or was I? That's lovely to see that obit made it into the files - thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to go over and join up tonight... I know Cindy and Genevieve's work and they would be perfect too. Plus having Peter Oxley on board would be an added thrill. It's been a while since I've had the chance to see him play live. I think we have the makings of one damn fine tribute here! I've just spent a very pleasant evening at home playing the guitar along to BSD and Calenture and enjoyed myself immeasurably. The little pleasures of life, eh? Kieren, if you wanted to play some guitar that would great! I'm happy to catch up with you at some point soon and we could go through some song choices etc etc. I live in Bronte and I guess you're in Sydney(?). And one board member's diligent work has one Mr Peter Fenton very interested in performing too. Well done, that person in NZ!
Right, I'm about to sit down and make some notes and maybe tomorrow I can start making some phonecalls as well. Graham, when you have time (I know you must be rather busy right now...), I would love to get some ideas from you as to whether any Aus-based Triffids would be interested in participating, though I know that even here in Australia, there's still the matter of distance...
Sorry to be so damn...chatty all the time but thetriffids.com is my er, home away from homepage these cold winter evenings. It's not raining, but it's um, raining pleasure where I am. Now, I'm going to sit down and watch Dead Flowers.
Jason

Offline Kieren

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 02:02:56 PM »
Hi Jason

Great - I've sent you a PM with my details.
K

Offline Gazza

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »
This seems so obvious now that I can't imagine why I didn't think of it before: if you can't get The Triffids, why not start with The Red Ponies as the nucleus? It's easy enough to think of them as The Triffids in Melbourne anyway, and they were fantastic live, as I think I've mentioned once or twice.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 11:34:10 AM »
Steve Kilbey might be into it. And don't forget Archie Roach!

oh-oh, I just realised I meant to say don't forget Jimmy Little  (no offence to Archie Roach) :-[
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline Kieren

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »
Hi all - and I spoke to Cindy Ryan tonight who says she loves the Triffids and to count her in for the Triffibute.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 08:38:54 AM »
PS - forgot to say that Kathy W is still living on Thursday Island and has just had a baby girl.  So I'd imagine she is 'no'.

Offline Padders

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 09:01:09 AM »
If this actually comes off, and I really hope it does, is their any chance of an mp3 or mpeg on here ?

Otherwise i'm shelling out 800 on an air ticket from england, and will probably lose my wife in the process !!

Good luck !!!!!

Offline Kieren

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »
Hmmm ... if it comes off and it sounds good - I can't see why not.