Author Topic: Triffids tribute - Triffbute, if you will  (Read 15403 times)

Offline JasonW69

Triffids tribute - Triffbute, if you will
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:03:23 AM »
I've been thinking about doing a Triffids tribute show in Sydney, getting a few bands, singers etc together for a two-hour gig and maybe assemble a backing band for it as well (I call pedal steel!!!). Since it's the 20 year anniversary of Born Sandy..., maybe that could be the thrust of the show?
Any Sydneysider Triffids fans on the board interested in something like this?
I have charts for all of the songs off Calenture, BSD, Raining Pleasure etc...
I'll put the word around...
Jason

Offline weasel

Re: Triffids tribute - Triffbute, if you will
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:13:22 PM »
Call Raoul Graf!!

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:19:58 PM »
Actually, I was kinda hoping to do it sans Raoul at the Manning Bar at Sydney Uni. Might be a good venue for it - I know the Triffids played there at least once, though not in the current band room. Nothing personal against Raoul though!

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »
Sorry, but I think there is actually a law that says Raoul has to be involved in these things now.

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 02:38:57 PM »
Mmm. I believe it's been passed into law. By the minister for roads and transport of NSW, if I'm not mistaken. No awkward backpedalling for me!
Of course, I could just break the law and go ahead and do it without permission or any involvement from RG. Is it a fine now, or just a slap on the wrist jail sentence?
Would Damien Lovelock want to be involved?
 ;D

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »
I hope you manage to get this together....er, with or without abiding by the Raouls.

Keep us posted.
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 12:42:22 AM »
Hey, wait 'til we're back in the country won't you?

Offline Gazza

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 01:08:07 AM »
Is that some sort of hint of a whiff of a sign of a possibility, Graham?
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 01:16:06 PM »
Steve Kilbey might be into it. And don't forget Archie Roach!
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
If Steve Kilbey's into it then yeah, why not!
And Archie Roach would be worth the price of admission alone!
Still not sure how much that will be yet... Any other suggestions for names we could include in a Triffids tribute? I'd put up Pete Fenton for one, and the Snarski brothers, Kath Wemyss of course, Kenny Davis... any other names?

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
Mr Graham Lee,
If you wanted to come along, be involved, get others involved then I'll wait for as long as it takes to pull it together. Or perhaps I should just butt out now while I have some semblance of 'credibility' (or should that be 'credulity'?) left? Not saying that I had any to start with, but I do love me Triffids and I've organised a few of these sort of shows. Actually, someone (not Raoul Graf funnily enough) organised a tribute to Gram Parsons at the Globe in Newtown in 1999, the very same week that David passed away, and Peter Fenton got up to perform his songs and we ended up closing the show with Return of the Grievous Angel then encored with "Wide Open Road" and Fenton paid a very nice tribute to David. It was a perfect ending to that show, and I got to play pedal steel on it! (Young and excitable I was in them days with me PSG)... Sorry, I'm rambling now.

glee

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 04:31:47 PM »
Just start talking something up, we are mostly due back at beginning of July but would be highly unlikely anyone from the West would be able to come over here for a while. The names you're mentioning are good ones. Don't forget Chris Abrahams.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
Jason, it's funny you should mention Peter Fenton for this, as the first time I saw him perform with Crow in Melbourne, I was struck by some sort of uncanny resemblance to David McComb - not so much his appearance or singing as in his manner. (Plus I think he was wearing a waistcoat :). I may have been pretty trashed on this occasion, but I do remember I had to keep kicking myself to remind me it wasn't DM.
But then, the next time I saw him perform, I thought I must have imagined the whole thing :-[ 

As for Raoul Graf, all I know about him is he once had a major crush on a friend of mine and pestered her endlessly for a while, much to her chagrin.  :-\
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 05:23:23 PM »
I always thought that Fenton bore a strong resemblance to DMc in exactly that way - his mannerisms. I doubt there was anything deliberate about it... I wrote an obit here in Sydney for DMc in 1999 and Fenton gave me a great quote about David. I'll try and find the obit that I wrote and see if I can't post it up or something. Is that something anyone would be interested in reading do you think?
As for Raoul Graf, well he's not the monster I've heard him made out to be but among certain musicians I've heard him refered to as "Crime" (because crime doesn't pay)... but he's paid me on occasion. And I certainly bear him no ill will because he's a nice bloke.

Offline JasonW69

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 05:25:51 PM »
Graham,
I'll definitely run it by Chris A the first opportunity I get. Anyone else have some suggestions about who else we could get to guest? I was thinking Toby Martin from Youth Group - he's a bit of a Triffids fan too I believe. Will ask around...
All suggestions welcomed. And Steve Kilbey is a cracking idea!