Author Topic: Born Sandy Devotional  (Read 62676 times)

glee

Re: Born Sandy Devotional
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »
So do I and so did I when he was still around. There are no hard and fast rules except that David is more fitting in official type surrounds.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 11:49:43 PM »
The sleeve that Urpal posted is the one that I saw. Looks even better full size.

Wouldn't be too surprised if that's the street where Mark stays when he's on the island. Certainly looks like it would be one of the more built up areas at the mainland end.

Keep wondering when Graham is going to offer his stash of badges around. Hope he's not planning to head down to the markets on a weekend and flog 'em off there.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

glee

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 11:55:31 PM »
I'll be doing just that soon, stash isn't quite the right word for the numbers I have.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 12:00:15 AM »
So do I and so did I when he was still around. There are no hard and fast rules except that David is more fitting in official type surrounds.

Yeah, but you're entitled to be familiar, glee. You were friends, workmates etc. For some of us, I suppose it's become second nature partly from being in conversation with you and borrowing your familiarity and partly from feeling a degree of closeness with Dave just from listening to his music.

I agree that the correct formalities should be observed for official purposes, so it's unfortunate if the printers have already hit the send button. The slip is understandable though - and might even be regarded as a good sign if it derives from the same feeling of proximity.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:30:13 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline bdroop

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 01:37:34 AM »
what dave bit are we getting anal and referring to here ?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 01:59:27 AM »
"Getting anal" is admittedly a lawyer's stock in trade, but the bit that jumped off the page at me is "All Songs-Dave McComb" since that's presumably a songwriting credit where you expect to see the full monty.

Thinking about it though, Nick Cave uses "Nick Cave" on songwriting credits etc rather than Nicholas Edward Cave, so it's nothing to get over excited about is it.

Do you see James Douglas Morrison on Doors stuff or Jim? I don't think I've ever seen Louis Reed in print on a record sleeve or whatever.

It's a funny one. Maybe it's just that Dave sounds great but David looks better (more rounded at the edges) in print.

Offline bdroop

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2006, 02:13:34 AM »
sanity has re entered the room

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2006, 02:22:17 AM »
Are you sure? I'll gladly admit to being barmy if it helps.

Offline bdroop

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2006, 03:55:51 AM »
I'll tidy up the David's on the commercial copies.
I'm with Graham on this - we'll not stop any references to Dave and where we can on a sleeve we'll say David and to try and create uniformity

Can we go back to everyone praising Mark for the photo on WOR ?

Marty's doing his first phoner for us shortly with a UK mag so he's pulling his weight and joining in the work of Mr G Lee.

I like this teasing and getting things slightly wrong to and fro thing.

best to all
j

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2006, 04:38:25 AM »
You're right to bring the subject back to Mark's photo - it really is gorgeous. Anywhere we can see a decent sized version of it?

Marty's doing his first phoner for us shortly with a UK mag
Shouldn't that be Martyn?;)

What mag is that anyway? Have you got a journo who's already interested or did you have to drum the interest up?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006, 07:35:21 AM »
Sorry for dragging a hint of negativism from an otherwise clear blue azure sky. You're both right.

I've just been admiring the BSD & WOR promo covers together again in a more leisurely time and it's like looking at negative twins with the shape and space filled by the green sea on the original album shot matched almost  exactly in the same dimensions by the curvature of the road in mark t's - the colours of the open land and sea/road reversed.

mark t's photo definitely wasn't taken in Cornwall (or the Steppes for that matter) ;)

I await his topographical survey and geological analysis shortly, but mostly I want to know what all the chicken coop shaped boxes and stuff are cluttered on the edge of dawn's highway bleeding? I'm guessing US style offsite private post boxes of a more DIY hue, but they could as easily be nesting boxes, hives or other country clutter.

What does it say on the sign?

I like the dark framing around the cover pictures and the repeat in the WOR sleeve of the diamonds* that separate the words Born Sandy Devotional on the reverse of BSD. All in all a great job that only the most fiddling meddlesome sort could find fault with :-[.

*Diamonds, as in the playing cards style shapes, got me thinking (very briefly and possibly for the first time ;D) of the  linkage there with the cover of the Black Swan. Isn't the ace of diamonds a lucky charm? Or maybe that's the ace of hearts?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:56:12 AM by Urpal »

Offline pherron

• http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.herron/
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 07:55:51 AM »
It's so exciting to see the covers and feel like it's all going to happen soon. What with this and Hasselt I'm just about in Triffids heaven.

I must admit I haven't listened to BSD for many months and I'm not going to now until I get my hands on the beautiful re-mastered bonus length delight from Domino!

Offline bdroop

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »
no arm twisting on the mags there's real interest coming in from a few different directions.
No it's Marty to me. I used to look after the Bad Seeds marketing - I go back aways.
ithankyewi'mhereallweek.
j
ps just got back in from the ABO gig - they rocked tonight Urpal, my badge hoarding friend
best to all

Offline Gazza

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
I await his topographical survey and geological analysis shortly, but mostly I want to know what all the chicken coop shaped boxes and stuff are cluttered on the edge of dawn's highway bleeding?

Definitely post boxes. When I suggested that the photo is of one of the more built-up areas of KI, I was joking none of it could really be called built up. Even the towns. In reality, we're almost certainly looking from the main road towards a smaller side road. Australia Post isn't quite as tame as the Royal Mail and whenever it can get away without going to your front door, it will (hardly suprising given the distances it has to cover, even in the cities). Those post boxes could well be for properties that are ten or even twenty kilometres away from the junction.

Normally you expect that sort of soil to be much further north than KI, and it's probably most common in the Northern Territory, where you can see whole forests of enormous termite mounds made from the stuff, but the most famous patch of it is a little further south and produces some absolutely sublime red wines.

You'll have to wait for Mark to explain why KI has red earth, because I really don't have a clue.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
I'm putting up my hand to being the Pedant about the "David not Dave" thing.... ;)

but what I really want to say is how BEAAUUUUUUUTIful is that photo of MarkT's  ;D ;D ;D

It couldn't be more perfect - evoking as it does not just that song, but so many others of David's cinematic lyrics

Mark... you are hereby officially declared GOD
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano