Author Topic: Make you cry, so moving boo hoo  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Annie

Re: Make you cry, so moving boo hoo
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 05:29:15 AM »
Yeah Prew - I remember that summer. Now I'm in London and I think Too Hot to Move... gets me because it makes me homesick, or maybe just sick for those times...

:'(
Hold the newsreader's nose squarely waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Offline babelogue

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 09:12:51 PM »
The Black Swan has great resonance for me too. While it might not be the best, it's probably my favourite Triffids album. I remember the long hot summer of '89, when I was in France, looking for a job but catching a nasty virus, wandering about Aix en Provence and Nice, with a touch of "calenture".

'Good Fortune Rose' particularly appealed to my feelings of homesickness. Its wistful, dreamy quality and Jill's lovely voice really got me welling up.

And more obviously perhaps, 'Estuary Bed' and 'Stolen Property'. 'Estuary Bed is a gorgeous, perfect song - the beautiful pedal steel lead-in, the first chorus when organ coming in ('and lie together on the estuary bed'), and Dave's multi-tracked vocal at the end ('sleep is dead, for the old skin is shed...').

And 'Stolen Property' has always been a real tearjerker for me. The lines "you are not moving any mountains....just an aphorism for every occasion" being particularly affecting. Apparently, as Dave told me when I was privileged enough to meet him after an amazing show in Glasgow, it was Rob McComb who had an aphorism for every occasion. Perhaps someone who met him at the plaque unveiling can confirm this!?

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »
Too Hot To Move seems about right in London at the moment eh Annie? Bit bored already of lying in bed sweating like a swamp donkey, barely able to breathe never mind sleep.

China Cat, Rob McComb seemed the epitome of humility and charm when I met him. Can't think of an any aphorisms for that particular occasion, though as i mentioned in the plaque thread he spoke movingly about his kids seeing the plaque and hopefully learning it was possible to make great art and have an impact, rather than it all being about commerce.
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »
Randy Rob McComb & Handsome Steve Miller both said some things to me at the plaque unveiling that were deeply moving which I'll pass on when I summon up the blood - er, and the memory after such a precise recollection blurring afternoon.

As has been mentioned here before the relationship between Rob and Dave was not sibling rivalry free, and it would have been surprising were it so. A big brother must have a certain humility to carry around his kid brother's genius at such close and all encompassing proximity for so many years.

As mentioned elsewhere, the "aphorism" segment of Stolen Property seems to me even closer to home than that - a scathing self-criticism of the limitations of a songwriter's craft as if Dave were chastising himself from a parental perspective - and I was surprised to find that confirmed in Dave's notes reproduced in the limited BSD booklet. We do tend though to recognise traits in ourselves we find unappealing reflected back most sharply in the behaviour of close family*.

*mmm, does that constitute an aphorism for this particular occasion? ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:03:45 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Annie

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
 :D yeah, except I've just been out in a hail storm - wicked!
Too Hot To Move seems about right in London at the moment eh Annie? Bit bored already of lying in bed sweating like a swamp donkey, barely able to breathe never mind sleep.
Hold the newsreader's nose squarely waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

robweb

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 05:12:01 AM »
As has been mentioned here before the relationship between Rob and Dave was not sibling rivalry free, and it would have been surprising were it so. A big brother must have a certain humility to carry around his kid brother's genius at such close and all encompassing proximity for so many years.

Agree with the Rob McComb views. Probably the last thing I remember was talking to him about what it was like to lose a younger brother - something we both share. We were on the same emotional plane.

Though he was probably much less pissed than I [as were the dossers down the Embankment]. :P

Offline Brocktoon

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »
Jerdacuttup Man just hit me in such a way a few minutes ago.

:'(