Author Topic: Make you cry, so moving boo hoo  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Mint

Make you cry, so moving boo hoo
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:15:05 AM »
Hello i'm new to the forum, so another big hello to everyone!
I was wondering whether there are any Triffids songs that can get the water works working for you, or is it just me?
'Save what you can' is a prime candidate for me, can induce a tear or two. But the main culprit is 'New Years Greetings', I just find this song so emotional and moving it's untrue, I can sit in a darkened room with my headphones on and tears will be streaming down my face, the imagery it conjures up is heartbreaking and the music sublime.
Mint x

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Make you cry, so moving boo hoo
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:27:29 AM »
Mint, it would seem that even the Triffids' management was reduced to tears. Here's a quote from Triffids' manager Sally Collins (you can read more on the main webside under "The List"):

"Dave's songs made me cry - a reaction I have always loved in music. In fact at the time Alsy had a couple of beautiful tear jerkers too. But Dave, though shy, gangly and seemingly naive (something I learned later to be a winning affectation he used to suit) had awesome charm and power."

My personal tearjerking highpoints go to Stolen Property, Save What You Can, Wide Open Road and I Want To Conquer You. Probably a few others, but it wouldn't be manly to admit to shedding too many tears.

Welcome.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:29:10 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:39:28 AM »
For some reason it tends to be the stuff on Love Of Will that's most likely to get to me.

Not that I'm admitting anything, you understand.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:52:31 AM by Gazza64 »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 01:44:50 AM »
But the main culprit is 'New Years Greetings', I just find this song so emotional and moving it's untrue, I can sit in a darkened room with my headphones on and tears will be streaming down my face, the imagery it conjures up is heartbreaking and the music sublime.

I have to admit I've never found New Years Greetings quite that moving, but I love the bit where the skyline is split in two. The music shifts gear somehow to create an atmosphere which matches the vision perfectly. I find that quite an arresting moment.

Offline kuba

• The Show!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:23:57 AM »
Anything from BSD, especially side two.

Plus the final three on "Calenture".

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »
Definitely Save What You Can for me, too.
Stoelen Property is also great, but is more HOTBOTN-material for me
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

Offline Sando

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
New Years Greetings. Definitely. Urpal hit the nail on the head with his description of the part where the music seems to get quieter yet expands at the same time. Good trick that. But the entire song does it for me. Eh, I mean....it.....eh..doesn't make me cry or anything...just...ahem, get a slight twitch in the muscles around my eyes. (Do we have muscles around the eyes? I guess we do).

Leaning is probably my top tearjerker though. Beautiful song.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 09:15:22 AM »
I imagine Leaning must be a difficult song to deliver live convincingly without getting quite emotional yourself. I've just been singing it over in my head and it has a plaintive quality (like Danny Boy, Negro Spirituals etc) that sucks you under. Full of self-doubt and questions whilst reaching out longingly for an elusive enfolding and protecting state of grace. Well, that's what it means to me. You could read the lyrics as a statment of conviction and spiritual certainty but they seem to express doubt and uncertainty to me. There's the rub. Thanks for reminding me of that one Sando.

Offline mark t

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »
Hey Mint!

New Years Greetings does it for me, so does Stolen Property.

mtrain

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 03:31:36 AM »
I went wandering..this probably interests only me but what the hell.                    "Leaning"

the original- (arrgghh, midi gives me the willies)
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:1s3SEwjxgTwJ:www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/lotearms.htm+leaning&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8

sung in the movie- (haven't had the pleasure of seeing this one)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6301969065/qid=1144948841/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-2388017-5803204?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=404272

the book-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440339332/sr=8-1/qid=1144948942/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2388017-5803204?%5Fencoding=UTF8

saroyan-
The writer is a spiritual anarchist, as in the depth of his soul every man is. He is discontented with everything and everybody. The writer is everybody's best friend and only true enemy - the good and great enemy. He neither walks with the multitude nor cheers with them. The writer who is a writer is a rebel who never stops."

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 04:45:56 AM »
Thanks for that, mtrain. I'd say Dave improved the lyrics a bit on the original hymn.

It's a pretty jolly tune in it's original hymn form isn't it? You can imagine the Salvation Army swinging into town on that ditty or a Victorian churchful bellowing it out over a pumping organ.

Way back yonder somewhere we've covered the use of the melody whistled by  Robert Mitchum as the preacher in the 1955 film Night Of The Hunter. It's quite haunting and threatening there - the gaiety of the tune signalling the looming presence of a fella with somewhat less cheerful and uplifting thoughts on his mind than it suggests.

The earlier film link is interesting. I suppose an online hymnal website writer might not feel best place to advertise the hymns other association with a film about a murdering unscrupulous wolf in priest's clothing.

Offline pandzer

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 07:37:04 PM »
Until very recently, I would have just shrugged my shoulders at this question.

However, only yesterday I got the BSD re-issue tracks from iTunes and started listening to them. I intended to continue working while doing so and couldn't.

The Seabirds has always been a special track for me, and yesterday it was just too much, especially hearing it again after what seemed like a very long time. I bawled like a six year old. First time that ever happened.

Offline vps

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »
It is amazing how powerful the songs still are. I think the fact that Graham has done such a great job in remastering the album just brings out emotional portent of the songs all the more clearly. It's like hearing them with fresh ears even though they have been with you for twenty years. "The Seabirds" is definitely one of the songs really pull at heartstrings. The thing that makes the album so special to me is that it is just so full of recognisable emotions, emotions that ring true, not mere playacting as often is the case with popular music.
Don't worry, I cried as well when I heard the remaster, as much for the beauty of the music and lyrics as for the fact that I got to see the day when Dave's music received the attention it deserves and of which it had been deprived for so long.
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »
Happens all the time for me.
Love of Will because it was the last....
any of the earlier stuff because of fond personal memories...
songs in between, just because...
and BSD re-release because of all that's happened so many miles away these last two weeks...

Offline prew

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »
Likewise for me . . . the early songs because of the memories . . . the songs on 'The Black Swan' because they evoke a particularly wonderful Perth summer and 'Song Of No Return'  - especially the verse that begins "It was perfect at that moment . . . "