Author Topic: Raining Pleasure  (Read 15605 times)

Offline Mike_M

• Manic Pop Thrills
Re: Raining Pleasure
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »
Oh and I found this quote (full interview here

It does come over as lonely, stark music, does the geography of Australia affect you?
M: I think it can definitely.
Mat: I think something that we weren't necessarily aware of in the beginning, but we can really see now that there's some sort of connection between it. Other bands like the Trickets, the Dirty Three, and I'm not very sure what it is, but there is an Australian sound of music.

The Trickets??? Was Allan Border involved??

Offline mark t

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »
The Paradise Motel have partially resurfaced, paired with some of Soda Stream (who don't do it for me) as Small Sips with an album called The Morning Ripples. Heard one song yesterday, sounds promising.

http://www.amo.org.au/release.asp?id=7816

Offline Bish

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 10:28:43 PM »
Really fond of Chuck Jenkins' take on Raining Pleasure on his City Gates album, a simple & straightforward reading that really works i think. Saw him perform it acoustic at an instore last year in Basement Discs in Melbourne, very special it was.

Also saw Mick Thomas (Weddings Parties Anything) perform Wide Open Road last year onstage with Dan Warner and Craig Pilkington...from memory they switched from Comes a Time to WOR with no hiccups, great encore it was!

Offline prew

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
On his latest tour to promote Stolen Apples, Paul Kelly has been performing an encore of 'Raining Pleasure' as a duet with Sally Seltmann from tour guests New Buffalo. I heard from a number of friends that the Horsham performance was particularly moving.

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 08:26:14 PM »
thanks prew. I could see (hear) Ms Seltmann's voice doing justice to the song. Pity I missed the Perth PK show...

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 11:11:21 PM »
On his latest tour to promote Stolen Apples, Paul Kelly has been performing an encore of 'Raining Pleasure' as a duet with Sally Seltmann from tour guests New Buffalo.
I hope he doesn't forget to list it on his APRA returns!  ;D

It seems that it's actually been covered a few times - I recall hearing an electronic version around 1996, if you can believe that.

Speaking of Triffids covers, Alsy told me that he and Dave were briefly in Iceland - presumably to play a show, although I haven't checked the gigography to confirm a date in Iceland - and that they went into a bar where the band was playing 'My Baby Thinks She's A Train.' It made me think of the stories of John Lennon going into bars and restaurants and finding the pianist striking up 'Yesterday.' Well, at least Dave DID write 'My Baby,' or most of it anyway.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:12:57 PM by jimjamtwo »
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline mark t

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »
Saw it on Saturday night - great version I thought- given an epic treatment- and played as the last song of the set. The woman who accompanied Sally played cello (Melanie I think her name was).

PK introduced it with something like 'we'd like to finish the show with a song by the great australian composer David McComb'.

The whole show was fucking great!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 03:38:58 PM by mark t »

Offline Peter Azzopardi

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 06:58:20 PM »
Couldn't get tickets for the Geelong or Melbourne shows so I was forced to go to Kelly's Ballarat show last night, and he closed the set with "Raining Pleasure" there again. Came as a great surprise, and it was terrific. I really noticed the great difference in songwriting voice between the two with the cover: Kelly could never have written anything as dark and poetic. I love Kelly as a songwriter (and it was one of the best gigs I've been to, despite the venue) but even his "down" songs are personable. "Raining Pleasure" was almost too spooky in the context of the Ballarat gig and several did make for the exit.

Offline jimjamtwo

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »
Does he repeat 'I believe it's raining pleasure' like poor Jill had to, over and over again?

BTW I told a friend that Kelly was doing Raining Pleasure and he wrote back:

Does remind me of an anecdote involving him and covers...apparently in the mid 90s he took a shine to playing Foreigner's I've been Waiting For a Girl Like You at shows, and Mushroom was so concerned at this that one of their staffers would go to  shows and yell loudly "Play Cold as Ice!" every time he did the Foreigner cover....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:26:52 PM by jimjamtwo »

glee

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »

Offline mark t

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
thanks Graham,  for reminding me what a great moment that was

Offline jimjamtwo

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
I'm thrilled to bits by this version. Sally sings it beautifully, retaining the 'little girl' quality Dave wanted, and there are lots of nice little original touches, including the soaring female vocal in the instrumental section. S/he actually changed my tune, although I'd say, for the better. I always thought the bit I contributed ('I believe it's raining pleasure') was a bit boring and dirgy, but they've fixed that by going up on the syllable 'rain,' which makes it more melodic. Such minor details might seem lost on most people, but to me it's very exciting that what I thought of as the song's weakest moment has at last been 'fixed.'
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:21:25 PM by jimjamtwo »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
I like that version too. Who is the guitarist on stage left? It looks a little bit like Dan Luscombe but I imagine he's too busy Droning these days.

Sally reminds me of Uma Thurman and has a singing voice I'd usually associate with an English middle class lass with a penchant for olde folke singing. I'm not complaining about either quality :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:54:35 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
Very nice, thanks Graham....(I do prefer Jill though!)

Offline mark t

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 06:48:59 AM »
I like that version too. Who is the guitarist on stage left? It looks a little bit like Dan Luscombe but I imagine he's too busy Droning these days.

that's Dan Kelly (paul's nephew) the other guitarist is Ashley Naylor (pass it on to the Dame please - he's that nice chap from Even),  Dan's (Luscombe) brother Pete is on drums, Bill McDonald from 4 hours sleep is on bass and Cameron Bruce (MFC) on keyboard.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:29:40 PM by mark t »