Author Topic: Raining Pleasure  (Read 15612 times)

Offline martinh

Raining Pleasure
« on: May 27, 2004, 11:37:38 PM »
I occasionally play a few songs here  and there on my own (I used to be in a band or two years ago and my sort of involvement in 1000 violins explains my presence at the Triffids Sheffield Leadmill gig where the violins were support, but another story)

I'm planning to play Raining Pleasure next time I play live.  Partly because it's a good song to play solo and it's also quite easy to play.

Partly I like the ambiguity of the song, as well as the sense of distance, parting and disconnection.

Anyone else here ever play any of the Triffids' songs?

Martin

glee

Raining Pleasure
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 12:03:55 AM »
Be as ambiguous as possible.

Offline Jason Mc

Raining Pleasure
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 03:58:06 PM »
Hi,

I've played Tender Is The Night with a bluegrass band - we arranged it with banjo and mandolin plus two guitars. I've also come close to trying a bluegrass version of Trick of the Light.  

glee

Raining Pleasure
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 04:03:29 PM »
I'm following you around here. Trick Of The Light would be a good candidate for that kind of treatment. Triffids' songs are quite difficult to do. Sometimes they're deceptively simple as in Wide Open Road. I've never heard anyone do a version of that song that came close. All the little parts are necessary it seems and if you ditch any of them, no matter how inconsequential they may seem, you're left with a lesser song.  

Offline Jason Mc

Raining Pleasure
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »
Yes, I think you're totally correct. Trick of The Light nearly worked but not quite, mainly because of the middle section which was difficult to arrange. However, Tender is the Night seemed to work well, with the banjo playing a simple claw hammer thing throughout to keep the rhythm going and a guitar joining and the mandolin playing the melodic lines in the background. The timing of the vocal lines was almost just perfect for a slow bluegrass feel. Anyway, I always loved that song so it was nice that it worked out without ruining it too much.  

Offline genkboy

Re: Raining Pleasure
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 11:46:23 PM »
I've just bought a mini Cd by the Paradise Motel - Some deaths take forever. To my surprise, it contains a cover of Raining pleasure.

It's a largely instrumental, and experimental, version, quite different from the original and by far not as good.

In general the Paradise Motel are well worth a listen though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 11:49:55 PM by genkboy »
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline mark t

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »
Zita swoon, Chuck Jenkins and now Pardise Motel, I didn't know that one either genkboy. Paradise Motel are a tasmanian band, and pretty good too, from what I know of them. Mazzy Star come to mind, but not in an overly derivative way.

glee

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:38:51 AM »
They haven't been a functioning band for a long time but they were/are Triffids fans and Dave saw them play a few times even expressed interest in producing. They were the next big indie thing for a while but it didn't work out.

Offline genkboy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 09:41:13 PM »
I did some investigation on this on internet. Apparently, the Paradise Motel did a great live version of RP with lots of distortion at the end of the song.

The version on the CD is considered as very different and a bit disappointing.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 09:43:35 PM »
Now that sounds more interesting. No live albums I take it.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 02:58:51 AM »
I've heard a version by Paradise Motel of Raining Pleasure which I liked quite a lot as non-Triffs personnel covered Triffids songs go. I'm not sure off hand whether it's the live or studio version, but it fits an experimental with instrumental extension at the end description.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Mike_M

• Manic Pop Thrills
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 05:24:08 AM »
(Delurks) I'd meant to mention Paradise Motel's cover of RP when I first joined, but never quite got round to it. Haven't heard the recorded version but I saw them play it live.

I saw them as a support a few years back at the Garage in Glasgow, so the chances are it was with Mercury Rev in early '99. They were pretty decent live, their singer was this tall angular bloke who careered about a seriously limited stage amazingly without hitting any of his bandmates. The last number was an extended noise fest which built and built until I suddenly thought, 'Wait a minute, I know those words!". Definitely have the impression that it was attached onto the back of one of their own songs. It was pretty much unrecognisable from the Triffids' version.

I actually saw the singer afterwards and did consider going up and saying, 'The Triffids, eh?' or something but I'm not really that sort of guy. Wish I was, sometimes.

I was impressed enough to get their LP (Flight Paths), which had a bonus CD of remixes by the likes of Lee Ranaldo, Mark Eitzel and Mogwai, and in a way the main LP reminds me of the Triffids in that, like the early Triffids LPs, it doesn't catch the ferocity of the live shows. Haven't listened to it in ages but probably will again now.

Always wondered what happened to them.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 06:19:42 AM »
Strange you saying the singer's a bloke, Mike_M. From the version of RP I've listened to by Paradise Motel the singer sounds distinctly like a woman. It's possible that was a special edition and the male vocalist took a break from duty. It's certainly a version that builds from sultry to strident. Not so much a light shower as a torrential downpour. The climax is good except that the repeated "in your arms it's raining pleasure" gets overdone a bit. The vocal should probably have been cut or the intonation varied a little: unless it is intended to be irritating, which is quite possible as the edge to the delivery of the line is distinctly sinister rather than sensual.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 06:23:42 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
Two singers.

Offline Mike_M

• Manic Pop Thrills
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 07:20:44 PM »
It was definitely the guy who sang it live but I did have a notion that there was a female singer in the band as well. Like I say it's been a while  since I listened to the record!

The song live certainly finished with a mantra of "in your arms it's raining pleasure".