New Skin for the Old Ceremony
Death of a Ladies' Man
Recent Songs
Various Positions
I'm Your Man
The Future
Ten New Songs
Dear Heather

Author Topic: Leonard Cohen  (Read 60694 times)

glee

Leonard Cohen
« on: November 05, 2004, 09:14:15 AM »
Hey Urpal or anyone else - have you heard the new LC record and what's it like? I've only heard one track on radio, kind of spoken word thing that sounded very impressive and seemed to indicate the whole thing might be pretty good.  

Offline Prkl

• rateyourmusic.com
Leonard Cohen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 09:45:16 PM »
I've heard it, but I really don't like it that much.  :(
The lyrics & "singing" are pretty much good old Leonard, but the music is just awfully tired lounge-jazz, and those horrid backup singers are back again (think of Ten New Songs, only worse)...
But I've heard some people like it anyway, so don't take my word for it...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Leonard Cohen
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 12:21:18 AM »
It's a good record, but takes a few listens to get into. It's a mixed bag of spoken word and harmony stuff. It might be described as a bit of an experimental record for Leonard.

The "proper songs" - Go No More A-Roving,The Letters, On That Day, There For You, Nightingale, The Faith - are all excellent. "Dear Heather" is quite a catchy and charming little ditty, but you have to hear it to get an idea of how "left of field" it is. The other tracks add another dimension to the record but won't be released as singles anytime soon.

Country music lovers like "Evil" should buy the record for the live version of "Tennessee Waltz" (with extra verse penned by LC) which closes the record alone.  
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Leonard Cohen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 09:33:51 AM »
Cohenite viewers here in the UK had a televisual treat tonight with the half hour documentary on BBC4 entitled "What Leonard Cohen Did For Me". The programme is a homage to LC featuring various other artists singing his praises - literally as well as metaphorically - and the principal contributors are Nick Cave and Ian McCullough of Echo & The Bunnymen.

The programme features snippets of The Bad Seeds version of "Tower Of Song" and the Pixies covering "I Can't Forget" live. Ian McCullough performs a specially recorded rendition of "Suzanne" and Kathryn Williams does an emotionally poised version of "Hallelujah".

The programme will be aired again on BBC4 on 19th November and 20th November for anyone interested locally who missed it first time around.

A heroes hero and this programme explains why for the uninitiated or unconvinced.  

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Leonard Cohen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 08:29:17 PM »
Anyone got any further comments, adverse or otherwise, on the "Dear Heather" album? I think its an album you have to listen to a few times to get the hang of - a bit of a grower. I've come to enjoy it's beautiful simplicity, but at the same time understand why some fans might find it disappointing (perhaps feeling LC's own contributions are not prominent enough and too many of them are spoken rather than sung and the lyrics are not always as erudite/complex as we've come to expect from the master).  

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Leonard Cohen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 06:31:40 AM »
There is a quite good radio documentary about Leonard Cohen available to listen to online at the moment at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/inthearc....shtml?focuswin

Its presented by Leonard himself and dates back to just before he disappeared into the Zen Monestary after recording The Future LP.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Re: Leonard Cohen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 12:03:13 AM »
I'm revising my view in an upward direction every time I listen to this CD.

The song The Faith is one of Cohen's most significant statements crossing the personal and political divide and as much a love song to the human race as a condemnation on a scale only Cohen seems capable of without seeming trite.

I even forgive the fact that his near invisibility on the record implies a "passing of the baton".

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 05:26:42 PM »
Save me some time.....Who is A M Klein?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 11:44:07 PM »
That was a genuine question. I don't know whether anyone else has done so, but I have just got round to it and the word "penitent" plagues my mind.

What an extraordinary Ukrainian/Canadian Jewish poet lawyer this new to me discovery makes. No wonder Cohen's dedication to him has such a strong and resonant lyric.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:23:40 AM by Urpal »

Offline junkmale

• It's a long way down as the crow flies...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »
It's a bit like 10 Songs, but as Urpal says, more experimental. I like it for that.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 02:51:07 AM »
Thanks for the reminder - large doses of Mac le Canife and Nick le Cave expounding lovingly over the master songster/poet laureate of the heart combined with a neat version of Hallelujah and various snippets of the boss. Not to mention comic interludes from Grumpy Old Git Arfur Smith and the usual "rent an intellectual" claptrap from Frankie's man/JD's indicipherable biographer - actually that last bit is a little unkind cos Morley quite often talks more than his fair share of sense and does so eloquently on this occasion.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 04:30:31 AM by Urpal »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »
Wednesday is a great day of the week, Glee. here's the news from the Leonard Cohen Files I've come across today whilst seeking out some lyrics to post:

"New Manager and upcoming projects including World Tour
Leonard Cohen has joined the prestigious artistsí roster at Macklam/Feldman Management, Inc., signing for worldwide management representation.

Cohen's upcoming projects include a book, television special, DVD, CD album and extensive worldwide touring. He recently wrote and produced an album (Blue Alert) for former-background singer and jazz chanteuse Anjani. The Blue Alert project and Anjani are to be repped by Macklam/Feldman Management, as well.

Vancouver-based Macklam/Feldman Management represents a variety of internationally acclaimed artists, including Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Elvis Costello, The Tragically Hip, The Chieftains, and Ry Cooder.

Join the discussion about this knockout news on The Leonard Cohen Forum"

As I've said before, I want to be the second person to know about tour dates and book my passage - I'm prepared to go just about anywhere to see Leonard and will be crying into my beer for years if I miss this opportunity. You have been warned ;D.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 08:33:01 PM »
Here's a beautiful gem of an article I've just come across:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1178-1579434,00.html

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »
The godlike Mr Cohen has just made public a video of "Because Of" from his latest LP produced by his daughter, Lorca. Still sexy at 70, if I may say so, and I wish I could still emanate that cool sophistication at such senior years - or even at 40 for that matter.

You're unlikely to see the video broadcast on mainstream TV (it's not exactly MTV or TOTP material) so here's a link to it:

http://www.leonardcohen.com/DearHeather/index.cgi?section=media

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 02:25:08 AM »
Any of our London based members who likes Cohen and is twiddling thumbs this Sunday might be interested in this posted today on the Cohen forum:

"sunday at nambucca is completely dedicated to leonard cohen.
I'm going to cover the wall in his poetry and there's going to be loads of artists covering his songs.
Alex cox (from vincent vincent and the villains) with jay Beans on Toast will be singing Everybody knows.
Kid Harpoon will be singing first we take manhattan.
Captain black are covering the future.
The eraserheads are doing sing another song boys.
Miss T and the Japanese tourists are singing suzanne and waiting for the miracle.
Endre (from Mad Dogs'n'Glory) will be covering So Long Marianne with special guest backing vocals.
Nemi will be covering Hallelujah.
Frank Turner (from Million Dead) should be singing Bird on the Wire, but I'm still awaiting confirmation.
Anders (from the Delanies) will be singing Seems So Long ago Nancy.
Simon (from Fanfarlo) doing the sisters of mercy.
I think there are more that I've forgotten.

If you can see a song here that's not being covered and you'd like to come down and cover it then you're more than welcome. anyone wanting to cover The Stranger Song or Famous Blue Raincoat will be especially welcome.

We've got Weekend Steve, Becky Better than Badges and Laura High Five all djing as well.

It starts at 6, finishes at midnight, the food is delicious, the sambucca is cheap and entrance is completely free so BE THERE.

p.s nambucca is 596 holloway road, the 17, 43 and 271 go to right outside and the 29 and 253 go to just down the road."