Author Topic: Triffids gigography - Master list  (Read 58843 times)

Offline vps

Re: Triffids gigography - Master list
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 10:05:38 PM »
"No fun" by Jill!  :o That must've been a treat!
Don't recall them doing it in any of the shows I saw in Finland. I'm starting to think more and more that a bonus-cd of The Triffids playing covers live would be a great idea.
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

glee

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »
Never heard that one myself. I must ask Jill about that.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
"No fun" by Jill!  :o That must've been a treat!

You're not wrong there, VP - as usual.

I can only imagine a slowed down "Afterhours"-style version with the lyrics changed to "No funny business, young man, no funny business" ;) That would be more fitting of the naive melody style of the era.

Having checked the lyrics of "No Fun" though there is a surprising but slight correlation of sentiments between elements of it and The Long Fidelity:

No Fun

"No fun to be alone
In love with nobody else
Well maybe go out maybe stay home
maybe call Mom on the telephone"

Long Fidelity

"Baby let's go out tonight
It will all turn out all right I'm sure
Don't want to drink at home again tonight
So let's go out
Let's go out tonight"
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline vps

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 11:18:47 PM »
It all makes sense now, Urpal!  ;)
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

glee

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 09:50:50 AM »
I spoke to Jill last night and she sounded a little like the Australian Prime Minister and most of his cabinet members ie she couldn't recall singing the song.

Offline prew

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »
Hi Glee . . . I'm not surprised Jill doesn't remember it . . . it only happened two or three times . . . once was definitely at The Red Parrot in Northbridge . . . it may even have been at the gig to celebrate Dada Records moving from Hay Street to Pier Street . . . The Triffids appeared on the same bill as a ballet company dancing to 'The End' by The Doors as I remember the gig was called "Around The Corner" . . . can't remember the year though>

Prew

glee

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »
Not doubting your report - Jill admitted (and this will be familiar territory for some of my fellow travellers) to being in charge of a mind like a sieve.
Someone I ran into in the street attempted to remind me of a mini Triffids reunion at the North Melbourne Town Hall Hotel in '96 or '97 when Steve Miller remarked to him that they were witnessing a historic moment. Can't remember it at all. Anyone?

Offline prew

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
Alberts Tavern was in Perth and I'm pretty sure that August 20 gig was in 1982 . . . the site is now a charmless 'boutique bar' . . . well,it was five years ago.

Offline Gerooki

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 03:15:04 AM »
A list of the shows performed by the Triffids. 
June 13 Paris
June 30 Sydney, Enmore Theatre

There was a gig with the Triffids, Goodbye MacKenzie and another band at the Town and Country Club in London. I think it was between these 2 (June 20th rings a bell).  The whole evening was recorded and later some of it was broadcast on Thames TV.  I have it on VHS and watched it this afternoon.  There was only 3 and a half songs broadcast by the Triffids, although they played for about 45 mins if I remember correctly.  It was a baking summer's day, and they opened with Hell of a Summer, although this was not broadcast.  The songs on the show are:
Jerdacuttup Man
Legend in my time (sung by a youngish looking Glee ;))
Fairytale Love (complete with bubbles)
How could I help but love you (fade to credits after about 2 mins)

Anybody else there or remember it ?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 03:43:52 AM »
How could I help but love you (fade to credits after about 2 mins)

The credits running over and premature fading out of a song's performance is really irritating on the telly, isn't it? The same thing happened on the Tube as I remember.

This TV broadcast sounds like news to me. I wouldn't have been able to receive a Thames TV area broadcast even if I'd known about it at the time. Thanks for the info, gerooki.
We all have our croissants to bear

Adam

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 07:44:30 AM »
A list of the shows performed by the Triffids. 
June 13 Paris
June 30 Sydney, Enmore Theatre

There was a gig with the Triffids, Goodbye MacKenzie and another band at the Town and Country Club in London. I think it was between these 2 (June 20th rings a bell). 

Thanks Gerooki, welcome aboard the boards.

Glad this thread made its way back to the front - if anyone passing can add anything to the list, please do chip in, thanks

glee

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 10:27:42 AM »
You're sure it was Thames TV? What show? Trying to track down a master of this? Someone told me recently it was broadcast on The Tube.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 11:02:39 AM »
There's a clip exactly as Gerooki describes on The Triffids Video Collection version 1.0, which I'm sure Urpal must have seen and forgotten about. Video quality on the DVD isn't fantastic, and presumably it's a relatively calm segment of the whole gig, but it's still well worth watching. The credits are definitely for Thames TV and it looks as if the show – all 12 and a half minutes of it – was called The Concert. Sound by Fleetwood Mobile and television facilities by Dales Television if that helps any with the search for the masters.

Apparently it was sponsored by McEwens Lager. Did someone turn up at stage door with a few cases of the stuff to add to the rider?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 01:33:25 PM by Gazza64 »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

glee

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 01:23:42 PM »
So
I had the answer all the time. Typical. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Does Thames TV still exist?

Offline Gazza

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »
From what I remember Thames stopped broadcasting in the early nineties but is still making shows like The Bill, so I'm sure that they would get plenty of enquiries about old footage.

Just did a quick search on Dales Television and it seems that the company has morphed into Dales Broadcast, with a website here. It's not much of a site, but it's got a telephone number and an email address for their sales department. Looks like they still do concerts.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.