Author Topic: Everything Fixed Is Killed  (Read 5028 times)

Offline crankingamps

Everything Fixed Is Killed
« on: November 20, 2005, 09:47:50 PM »
Mick Harvey and band played Everything Fixed Is Killed at The Palais in Hepburn Springs (100 miles out of Melbourne) on Friday night 18/11, a very nice rendition that evoked fond memories of costar. This would have to be my favourite unreleased David McComb song. Unfortunately he/they didn't repeat it the following night at the Athenaeum Theatre in Melbourne. Both shows were Tex Don & Charlie headliners.

Offline LAMF

Re: Everything Fixed Is Killed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:55:10 AM »
If you check out Mick Harvey's MySpace Page you can download his version of this song now.

http://www.myspace.com/mickharvey
In the realm of the senseless....

Offline Gazza

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:14:13 AM »
Cheers LAMF. Just noticed that he has a couple of dates coming up at the Adelaide Cabaret Festival, too.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

glee

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »
One of Mick's videos is Anita Lane doing Jesus Almost Got Me which has me on pedal steel. I'd never seen that before. I really like the song.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:09:56 PM »
your imprimatur(spell check?) is all over that track glee.Don`t take this personally but I`m pretty pleased that Anita gets the glory in the video.Lovely song,distracting clip.
Look George,partridges

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:49:55 PM »
That song and video are excellent. Not heard or seen either before. The song is like Threw It All Away goes Gainsbourg and Anita Lane's Birkinish posh husky sexiness and the gently cascading guitar sounds give it a real boost.

I see the Harley Davidson vid is also on there as well (Do you suppose Jasper Carrot's Moped song was inspired by it? I'd not made the link before now). I've lavished adorational praise on that before now and thoroughly recommend it. There are a load more too that I've not seen before.

Thanks for pointing out the vids section, which I never check out as a rule.

The link to Loene Carmen's site presented an opportunity to enjoy Nashville High again, but still no firm release info for Rock'n'Roll Tears. Another song from the new record has been added though (a bit New Estate/Schoenish vocals-wise) and it sounds like it's gonna be good when it lands.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:21:39 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
Is "everything fixed is killed" another way of saying "everything certain is lost"? And if that is Jesus' message from prison, it's not the "glad tidings" you might have been raised to expect.

An alternative meaning in the range available is something along the lines of "everything settled is dead", which also carries some weight of uncomfortable truth. I'm fascinated by this lyric, and mystified, as you can probably tell. Anyone else got any thoughts or favoured interpretations of the meaning of the song? Does a song have to have one meaning to be brilliant? Or is ambiguity, literal and moral, better?

Offline KrieB

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 06:34:01 AM »
 :o I just listened to another version of Everything is Fixed!

It's by Family of God from their 1996 debut (double) cd

I mentioned Adam Peters and his (current) band Neulander in the Syd Barrett topic Before that there was The Family of God and I don't recall when I first heard about them, but I think one song of them was on a DMcC compilation cassette. I only own an FofG EP cd from which I liked the song Atomic Little Thing the most (and the rest maybe a bit less, but I was nevertheless curious to check out more.)

And so now I came across their version of Everything is Fixed... ( :-[ via digital unpecuniary way - I'm getting myself in debts lately :-[) I have not yet listened to the rest of the double album - I was just browsing and got alerted by the track title. This Everything is Fixed is a slow dreamlike version with whispering sounds in the background and it's a perfect ending track (it's the last of the 2nd cd) I have no background info or details about credits or contributors... so as far as I know nothing, even a bit of DMcC whispering could be possible...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:44:15 AM by KrieB »
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:28:04 AM »
I came across this today (thanks to this blog on the subject from Heck of A Guy) and it got me wondering whether Everything Fixed Is Killed might have found its launching pad from this song?

Leonard Cohen - Passing Through (live 1985)

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:38 AM »
We did that song in the Red Ponies, it was one of Dave's favourites. A little borrowing perhaps.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
That's interesting. I've not consciously been aware of the song before tonight, but when I read the lyrics it reminded me, in terms of the  narrated conversation with a Jesus figure about his view of things, of Dave's song (though Everything Fixed is more psycholigically & ethically complex and fitter for our modern jaundiced times). Does the RP version exist in a recorded version? However poor quality, it can't be much worse than that Cohen one anyway (though the guitar playing and slide on there seems pretty neat, so it shouldn't surprise me you'd be drawn to it) :) Do you think it was an influence on Cohen's own "The Captain" too? Sounds like it from the Washington verse onwards.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:48:49 AM by Urpal »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »
I do have some live versions somewhere...will try to drag them out.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »
That'd be good. I'm quite taken with it myself. What a song.