Author Topic: David Mc Combsī Favourites  (Read 6650 times)

thokei

David Mc Combsī Favourites
« on: March 14, 2004, 06:00:33 AM »
In 1991, David was in a swedish Radio show, where he discussed 10 of his alltime faves..maybe its interesting for you..here they are:

Ellie Greenwich- You dont know
Tom Waits- Broken Bicycle
The Reels-Quasimodos dream
LL Cool J- Goinīback to Cali
The Beatles- Yer Blues
Leonard Cohen- Everybody knows
Bob Dylan- Belle Isle & Moonshiner
V.U.- Some kind of love
Television- Venus
Chet Baker- Deep in a dream

Ines

David Mc Combsī Favourites
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 11:19:12 AM »
Laura Nyro's 'Gonna Take a Miracle' was also cited in a print interview by DM as 'the greatest album ever made' , which has made me check it out, and it is a real grower.  

Offline weasel

Re: David Mc Combsī Favourites
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 10:46:23 AM »
Pulled out my Dungeon Tape today to transfer and found a set list. From around 1983 I would guess cod they do 3 tracks from Bad Timing and Treeless Plain. Anyway, made me remember that they used to do The Doors Spy In The House Of Love, and i reckon they were a bit of an influence though i don't think the band ever said so.  Field Of Glass? - more Doors than The Big Music perhaps?

glee

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 10:59:54 AM »
The short answer is no at least not consciously. I can't recall ever hearing a Doors track on the tour bus, nor did Alsy ever do a Morrison impersonation (and only seminal influences got one of those). Dave was, of course, aware of the Doors and we did have an organ, and Dave did have a deeply resonant voice but that's about it.
You remind me of the question Dave was asked on Belgian TV - so you are the new Jim Morrison - how do you wish to die?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 12:28:08 PM »
As I first read this the Talking Heads "Once In A Lifetime" was playing on the Night Train show, which seemed kinda appropriate.

"Spy" is one of The Doors finest unrecognised LP moments - that guitar phrase is simple but highly effective. I can see how it might have had a part to play in the pre-Evil sound of The Triffids. By the mid to late 80s The Doors were fading from fashion again after a resurgent peak in the late 70s/early 80s. I distinctly remember Peel playing either Land Ho! or Roadhouse Blues one time and saying how he loved them back in the 60s but - whichever track it was - was about the only one he thought had stood the test of time. I was quite irritated by the comment at the time but can see that The Doors might not appeal to the taste of people whose heads are not transfixed by the 60s.

I don't personally see a correlation between The Triffids and The Doors beyond the general "wave" nature and duration of Field of Glass. That first Peel Session seems to me to stand in a separate compartment from the Triffids sounds produced before and afterwards and is to that extent unrepresentative anyway. Why someone should see Dave McComb as the new Jim Morrison is odd - but maybe you see closer proximity of sound when the vocals are not in your first language.

I heard Bowie's Space Oddity in a version sung by him in German recently and it struck me for the first time how much the piano lead intro before "sonic lift off" sounds like a Brel impersonation.
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:55:56 PM »
I'm not saying the Doors music isn't great here. Just that Dave wasn't a rabid fan and there were other influences at play, though it was a point of pride to not make them too obvious except for the hiphop stuff which was there partly to outrage I'm sure. Interesting you should mention Talking Heads because Little Creatures was a record that Dave really liked and so did I. I'm sure there are more similarities between that record and the Triffids sound than, say, the Doors. 

Offline Sando

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 06:13:51 PM »
I wouldn't immediately hear a Talking Heads influence in The Triffids Graham, although the pedal steel in City Of Dreams from the True Stories album is rather delightful.
On the other hand, David Byrne's solo material would have more in common sonically with some of The Triffids stuff for me.
By the way Urpal, have you heard the Talking Heads track, 'The Overload' from their Remain In Light album? It is a dead ringer for Joy Division, and Byrne apparently wrote it in response to some reviews he had read about Joy Division without ever actually hearing them. The result is eerily accurate.

robweb

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 07:42:20 PM »
Ahh the Doors. Duke McCool aka Ian McCulloch was a big fan, the Bunnymen influence on the Triffids is limited to Beautiful Waste [a superior facsimile]. Tenuous link anyone?

Urpal - I think Spy is also great. As is the whole of Morrison Hotel.

Having not listened to the Doors for years, I got a DVD of "The Sound Stage Performances" in Morrissons [synchronicity eh?] for Ģ5 a couple of weeks ago. It's got three TV gigs an interview and performances from The Soft Parade on it. I have never seen any tracks form the SP live before and it is brilliant stuff. The title track is fantastic.

During the interview, conducted by a bad hippy against a badder psychedelic backdrop of swirls and rainbows [like Rainbow with Bungle and Zippy] Jim starts talking about how in the future bands won't exist, only singers surrounded by machines....he may have been a bad, boozy bore most of the time but he was also a bit of a genius.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 08:34:29 PM »
What can I say - Remain In Light is my fave Talking Heads and beyond doubt a classic and you only need to see Jim's dazed and semi-conscious to the point of catatonic witty showing on Granada TVs Doors Are Open to realise that Jim Morrison had a spark of genius that even excessive drink and drugs couldn't diminish completely.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 08:59:18 PM »
A Morrison phrase which has been associating in my mind in the last few days with some of my memories of journeys around the Ukraine in the late 80s and early 90s is this:

"Out here there are no stars
Out here we are stone(d?), immaculate"

There were some truly extraordinary moments captured in my mind over there - I'm sure we all have them in various places - and surprisingly most of them were experienced whilst sober (or at least only intoxicated by the combination of motion, light, nicotine, environment, quiet company and inner calm).

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 01:59:38 AM »
I'm not saying the Doors music isn't great here. Just that Dave wasn't a rabid fan and there were other influences at play, though it was a point of pride to not make them too obvious except for the hiphop stuff which was there partly to outrage I'm sure. Interesting you should mention Talking Heads because Little Creatures was a record that Dave really liked and so did I. I'm sure there are more similarities between that record and the Triffids sound than, say, the Doors. 
Re the Doors. When I first visited Dave and Alsy at Marlborough St. in 1982/83, the Doors were constantly on the stereo. I think Waiting for the Sun was the main one that got played. However, I don't know whose choice this was. It could have been one of the other people living in the house, of whom there were two or three.
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 03:26:31 AM »
Funnily enough, Jim (great inheritance in that name by the way ;)) I've just got The Doors 40th Anniversary triple CD "Live In Boston 1970" through the post from the USA in the last couple of days and its been on the CD player getting a spin today and yesterday.

The recollections of the surviving band members in the sleevenotes more or less revolve exclusively around the fact that Jim Morrison was pissed and rampant on the night in question, but in a good and entertaining way rather than the more widely publicised damaging one.

You can tell Morrison is operating outside the bounds of sobriety from the first moans on stage. Its amusing to hear and generates a feeling of that "live" unpredictability for a listener even now. The musical perfromance of the band is also less polished and more "fluffy" than usual, enhancing the liveness of the experience. I'm liking it.

I spent about a summer once revising for exams listening exclusively to cassettes of The Doors' Absolutely Live and Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine (as was) and have never quite recovered :). That would have been late 70s/early 80s.

Whether The Doors influenced The Triffids is less significant to me than the fact that both bands had barnstormingly great chops live and a notably charismatic and vigorously intelligent wordsmith of a leadsinger.

Dave was obviously more the "gentleman" (in the classless sense of the term) and Jim a "player" (in the sportless sense of the term ;)).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:35:52 AM by Urpal »

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
....and they both liked a drink...

Anyway, I was listening to Broadway by the Clash last week when I was struck by a very strong similarity between the latter half of the song and Lonesome Hobo. Anyone else hear it?

It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline branded

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »
im very happy to see venus from television on that list.

that was my first love of theirs, and is still the one i go back to the most.

beautiful melodies, and great lyrics.