Author Topic: Bible Studies  (Read 16643 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Bible Studies
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 07:45:34 PM »
Just hope that the same book also quotes the research which found that church-going Christians are significantly more likely to electrocute their fellow humans just because someone in a white coat asks them to.

I can believe that, as religious belief requires a "giving of oneself" unquestioningly into the hands of a reputed higher authority. White coat, white beard: barely distinguishable in peripheral vision.

It always strikes me as odd, in this context, that in the US the same often outlandish religious beliefs that propagate the "sanctity of life" argument in the abortion debate will also be marching with "fry and die" banners when a serial killer is directed to the chair. Statistically the odd unborn child or two could have ended up a serial killer. An interview with David Attenborough I read the other day made the same point in the naturalist context. He observed that he always found it unsurprising that the "god squad" he heard from in correspondence always located god's presence in the butterfly or the hummingbird, but never in the tiny insects that infest children's eyes in the third world and make them blind. I guess this tendency to only see the good in all things (or, more accurately turn a blind eye to the bad and "accentuate the positive") might make the "believer" more resistant in the face of personal adversity.

Reading the book, I get the impression the author is not "selling" religion (I doubt, but don't know for sure, that he is a "believer" himself), but recounting his observations from interviews with a cross-section of people around the globe and adding some background study evidence from elsewhere which supports his own findings in classic "investigative study" style. The section quoted from the book is a short passage of diversion from the main thrust of the narrative.

Interestingly, his next case study (a bright woman raised by a "child of a mother" in a disjointed "on the road" upbringing who still ended up relatively contented) substitutes his expectation that she would have a need for "religion" in her life with yoga and meditiation, which she suggests "does the job" for her in keeping the "black dog" from the door.

I would finally add that I find the song "Leaning" a deeply moving and meaningful song even though I'm not confident the author was nor that I am.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:13:02 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline fuel

• In the pines
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006/feb/20/environment.broadcasting for the Attenborough interview.

Karen Armstrong's A History of God and A Short History of Myth are well worth reading.

Was it Ricky Gervais who said something like: "There is no god, so be nice to each other". ;)

Offline fuel

• In the pines
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:45 PM »
Thanks for at least reminding me it was David not Dickie I meant to refer to :-[, now corrected.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline fuel

• In the pines
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 05:59:08 AM »
I hadn't noticed.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/21/bbc.television2 should have the quote.