Author Topic: One soul less on your fiery list  (Read 12840 times)

Adam

Re: One soul less on your fiery list
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 04:48:35 PM »
Could I just break the thread to say how much I admire yout posting style ToS? 
Usually confined to once comment per visit, often shedding light on something, and often culminating in either a  :) or a  8).  I like your style.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 05:25:46 PM »
keep up that flirting with our female members Adam and your wife will kill you.
On another tangent, this site seems to be going through an adolescent  growth spurt at present.Seems like only yesterday we sat on about 98 members for ages.Now looks to be more every day.Importantly, some of the new members  come from different age groups to us sad old middle age bastards[yes,I am speaking for myself] ,come from interesting places  and  want to contribute.Its all very pleasing to see*

*I think I caught something in my eye 
Look George,partridges

Offline vps

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 05:35:18 PM »
On another tangent, this site seems to be going through an adolescent  growth spurt at present.Seems like only yesterday we sat on about 98 members for ages.Now looks to be more every day.Importantly, some of the new members  come from different age groups to us sad old middle age bastards[yes,I am speaking for myself] ,come from interesting places  and  want to contribute.Its all very pleasing to see*

*I think I caught something in my eye 
Too true. It seems as if there is a real chance of the good word getting around in younger circles as well. Triffids has been overlooked for so many years that is all very heartening to hear about younger generations finding the music. Good news for the reissues as well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 05:37:02 PM by vpsaarinen »
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline The Appila Kid

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 09:38:47 PM »
Reissues?  Please tell me more....now that I've bought Calenture.....

Thankyou, lonesomesquare, I know consider myself a much wiser person!  I'll never underestimate the Triffids popularity in Belgium again!

(If anyone is wondering, a South Australian is known casually as a Croweater, in response to the Western Australian Sandgroper discussion)  And I don't think Perth is the only place with water concerns.  I think a few places have got a lot to worry about.....

Urpal, thanks to your response to my original post - I'm from Adelaide, by the way.  You're quite right - I'll be very happy if I never go back to the town where I went to high school.  However, it just seems a bit more public when you record a song that basically says I wanna see my home town burn down.  I know there's artistic license involved and so forth, but it seems a very angry lyric to me.  But I'm very happy to rest with the opinion of the experts.

Cheers

BJ

Offline vps

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 09:46:09 PM »
To cut along story short, the rights to the Triffids material have reverted back to the band & Graham has been hard at work negotiating distribution etc. for the re-release of all the albums + extra material. "Born Sandy Devotional" is going to start off the re-releases in March, I think it was.   
There actually is a bit of an update by Graham on the topic. The return of the Triffids:
http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php/topic,291.msg7826.html#msg7826
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:55:18 PM by vpsaarinen »
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 10:09:50 PM »
But I'm very happy to rest with the opinion of the experts.

With the exception of glee, there are no experts, only speculators. Envisioning your home town burning down in a not particularly regretful tone could as easily be interpreted in the way you have as my idle speculation.

There are enough non-literal images in the song though to suggest that there is more to it than an exercise in imagined gloating over a lost city, such as:

"Higher, let the flames grow higher
Erase my name from your lips as we kiss"

and

"one soul less on your fiery list"

In fact, you might be given to wonder whether it is the observer or the observed which is dissolving/departing.
We all have our croissants to bear

robweb

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2005, 07:14:03 PM »
I have been to Perth. It reminded me very much of my birthplace - Barrow-in-Furness [aka "the longest cul-de-sac in the world" - on a much grander scale. I always empathised with the protaganist of Hometown Farewell Kiss "I just came back to watch the people in their houses burn". I often felt the only good thing for Barrow would have been to burn the fucker down.

Now I'm older.

Hey ho.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 08:33:06 PM »
Hey Appila, where are you now? Just interested because I'm a pom (sorry, a pommie bastard) who ended up in Adelaide…
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 10:19:43 PM »
I have been to Perth. It reminded me very much of my birthplace - Barrow-in-Furness [aka "the longest cul-de-sac in the world" - on a much grander scale. I always empathised with the protaganist of Hometown Farewell Kiss "I just came back to watch the people in their houses burn". I often felt the only good thing for Barrow would have been to burn the fucker down.

Now I'm older.

Hey ho.

Barrow In Furnace? With a name like that, it's asking for trouble.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 10:23:16 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

robweb

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 01:30:23 AM »
And there are plenty listening judging by the amount of trouble.......

Offline The Appila Kid

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 08:13:26 PM »
Hey Appila, where are you now? Just interested because I'm a pom (sorry, a pommie bastard) who ended up in Adelaide…

Living in Adelaide's north east suburbs - Windsor Gardens to be precise.  Was in the metropolis of Appila yesterday, if that's interesting at all (i.e. - my user name here!).  Just returned from a month in England - what part of England were you from originally?

Offline The Appila Kid

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2005, 10:08:40 PM »
To cut along story short, the rights to the Triffids material have reverted back to the band & Graham has been hard at work negotiating distribution etc. for the re-release of all the albums + extra material. "Born Sandy Devotional" is going to start off the re-releases in March, I think it was.   

What is our advice - should I buy the $10 copy of In The Pines that I can pick up tomorrow quite easily, or should I hold out for the re-issue?

glee

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 10:13:09 PM »
$10 seems reasonable enough. The reissue will have extra tracks but it won't be out before August next year.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 10:49:46 PM »
Appila? I used to think that my geography was pretty good, but I can't say that I've ever heard of it.

I'm originally from Wallsend, but I've moved around a lot…
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline The Appila Kid

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 09:43:11 PM »
Appila? I used to think that my geography was pretty good, but I can't say that I've ever heard of it.

Gazza 64 - Appila is in the mid north of the state.  There's a reason you've never heard of it - when I grew up there, the population never reached 45.  But I tell you, the area around has never looked as beautiful as it does right now.