Author Topic: One soul less on your fiery list  (Read 12842 times)

Offline lynsey

• My myspace
One soul less on your fiery list
« on: October 02, 2005, 08:28:34 AM »
One soul less on your fiery list...This has to be my fave Triffids song so far from what i have heard. I just think its catchy, can't really explain why i like it i just do ;)
There is a light that never goes out.

Offline lonesomesquare

Re: One soul less on your fiery list
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 08:49:27 AM »
One soul less on your fiery list...This has to be my fave Triffids song so far from what i have heard. I just think its catchy, can't really explain why i like it i just do.

You should really try the whole album (In The Pines, released in 1986 and recorded in a woolshed!) when you can get your - without a shadow of a doubt very gracious - hands on it, lynsey! ;)

Sleep tight and so will I now, says lonesomesquare
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline lynsey

• My myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 11:14:55 PM »
I have got the album but haven't listened to all the songs on there yet, but from what i have listened to its great! I also like "Once a day"  and " Only one life"i am going to go listen to the rest of it now:-] goodnight!!:-]

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 01:02:13 AM »
One soul less on your fiery list...This has to be my fave Triffids song so far from what i have heard. I just think its catchy, can't really explain why i like it i just do ;)

It's strange you should choose this song as your fave (great song though it is) in the week when there is one soul less on this fiery list. Let's hope that ain't catchy as well.

How was your late night listening experience?
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline lynsey

• My myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 01:23:32 AM »
Its not late night for me its 4pm in the afternoon right now. And i know what you mean, probably a funny choice of song but it just stands out. Very good album! do you recomend anymore for me to listen to? :)

Offline kuba

• The Show!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 01:29:41 AM »
Hey Lynsey, knowing you like Nick Cave, you really need to check out a song called "Jerdacuttup Man". And then, of course, the rest of the songs by this fantastic band.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 02:48:00 AM »
Lynsey, if you're impressed by In The Pines then you can't really go wrong with any of the other records -  as an out of studio experiment in back woodsmanship, that's their least accessible album.

Offline lynsey

• My myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 03:09:18 AM »
Great i'll definetley be checking out more of the other records! for certain :)and also the song, Jerdacuttup Man. Thanks!
I have just done one of my first recordings for a band i am playing bass for at the moment. We recorded it over 2 nights using a 16 track recorder and i'm really proud of it, it sounds great. We are just ready to copy it to cd now and hopefully i'll get it online so everyone can have a listen and see what they think!? i would like to hear of what you think of it!  :)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 04:01:43 AM »
What's the name of your band? Where are you based? Who else is in the band and what instruments do they play? Done any gigs etc?

I'm sure if you put your recordings online, we'll give them a listen and an honest appraisal.

Offline lynsey

• My myspace
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 04:27:54 AM »
The name of the band is "10 Green Bottles"it is taken from the song ;D and we also added our own little meaning to it, its to do with generations passing by.
We are all from Yorkshire (a small town near York). My brother Mark is a singer, Tim plays guitar and keyboards and i play bass. We are still looking for a drummer though.
We don't have enough songs yet to do any gigs but we are hopeing to soon, really looking forward to it.
There are quite a lot of bands on the scene at the moment round here, my uncle was in a well known band from round here too for a while and they were really popular, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get gigs. As soon as i get some music online i will let you know i'd love to hear what you all think! :)

Offline The Appila Kid

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 10:02:41 PM »
Now, forgive me all, I'm brand new to this forum and I will freely admit to being a very recent convert to the Triffids.  A few months ago I bought Australian Melodrama, mostly out of curiousity, and loved the whole thing.  Today I picked up Calenture (hoping to get In The Pines before the end of the week) and read the lyrics to Hometown Farewell Kiss with interest.  Now, as I said - forgive me, I don't know much about the Triffids history at all, except that they originally came from Perth and were tragically overlooked in this country and were seemingly more loved in Britain.  So, is this song basically taking a swipe at Perth?  Or am I looking at it too simplistically?  I'm not the world's best analyst of lyrics, but if my suspicion is right I'm a touch surprised and wonder if it didn't kick up much of a fuss in Perth at the time of release?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 10:28:30 PM »
Welcome, The Appila Kid. I assume that Perth must have been part of the song's inspiration from the name and the fact that it was where Dave was from, but who hasn't left a home town behind with some cheer in waving goodbye to all that baggage mixed with the nostalgic regret of departure. I don't think Perth should be up in arms or offended. I don't suppose Dave was proposing a literal torching of the place, but maybe the erasure of memory.

Are you from Perth?

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 10:46:52 PM »
Are you from Perth?

And if so, how do you call an inhabitant of Perth? I'd guess the obvious name for a dirty person from Perth would be a Perverth ;D, but what's the normal name for a Perth person (M/F) I wonder.
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 10:59:09 PM »
Now, as I said - forgive me, I don't know much about the Triffids history at all, except that they originally came from Perth and were tragically overlooked in this country and were seemingly more loved in Britain.

That's okay TAK, welcome to the club! But I'd like to add some basic Triffidsology knowledge here for you: if The Triffids were huge in one specific country, it must have been in the small (30,000 kmē) country of Belgium, Europe! :D

Cheers, lonesomesquare... from Belgium

TowerOfSong

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 08:47:44 AM »
In Australia, people from Perth are usually referred to as "sandgropers", I haven't been to Perth (yet) but apparently it's all built on a sandy bed ( like Paris is built on a bed of Plaster of Paris ;) )...the gardens are all sandy etc, which must be quite wierd for trying to grow much...I also read recently that in 20 odd years Perth might be be no longer inhabited, as they are running out of water. Imagine...a huge ghost city on the edge of a desert!- sounds like something DM might write a song about.
Like Urpal, I doubt the song intends any offence to Perth, DM usually referred to it in terms of fondness.