Poll

Your favourite Bob Dylan album (not necessarily 'best')

The Freewheelin'Bob Dylan
The Times They Are A-Changing
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
Blood on the Tracks
The Basement Tapes
Desire
Street Legal
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
Love and Theft
Other
Dylan Hears A Who (an affectionate tribute to the perennial linguistic inventiveness of Dylan & Dr Seuss you must hear if you haven't)

Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 13852 times)

torch

Re: Bob Dylan
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 07:50:36 AM »
I truly sympathise with those who dont love Dylan, but it's only
pricks who write for Music papers who rate Self Portrait so
poorly. I've never met a Dylan fan who didn,t love it. I saw the
1979 tour for Street Legal but I thought it was his first 2nd rater. That Patti Smith likes it figures. She has a real flair for
self promotion but as Bukowski once said: Hell, I could eat
alphabet soup and shit better poetry. Speaking of genius for
self promotion , Any word on Phil Spector's trial?( He hit me &
it felt like a 9mm).Did anyone see phil's adopted son on the
NBC today show? Can you imagine any responsable country
allowing Phil Spector to adopt twin boys in the mid 60s?

torch

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:32 PM »
This must be one of the few polls I have yet to vote in. I saw the No Direction Home film for the first time last night (it's four hours long as one sitting so it must have been good - sorry Kuba). The following thoughts occur:

1. Why isn't Tom Wilson rather than Phil Spector regarded as the definitive producer of the sixties?
2. Even if you aren't an ardent follower Dylan's songs carve themselves on your memory in a way that you find yourself mentally singing along
3. Although I'm still not convinced his talent is proportionate to his extreme popularity, the adulation seems justified by other factors beyond the music (personality, singleness of vision and purpose etc).
4. Whilst his lack of self-doubt is not something that suits most people, he has managed to make a virtue of it.
5. How did Dylan manage to become younger with the passing years between 1960 and 1967?
6. As far as I can make out Al Kooper seems to be Tim Robbins in a bewigged disguise.
We all have our croissants to bear

robweb

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 08:16:09 PM »
I've never really been a fan. But someone bought me Chronicles - the first part of his autobiography - for Christmas. It is a really great book. I particularly lime the way Dylan sets about destroying his image and throwing off the unwanted yoke of messiah.

I may even buy copies of the LPs that were recorded during the periods the book covers.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 08:30:55 PM »
My wife was given a copy of Chronicles for Christmas and I found a little time over the break to read the first fifty pages or so. It is written in a novelistic way and with an unquantifiable flair that holds your attention regardless of your lack of initial enthusiasm for the subject. Unfortunately other distractions have meant I have yet to make further inroads into the book. I must have about half a library on the go at the moment in a similar position (including Francis Wheen's Marx biog, Toole's Confederacy Of Dunces, Cope's Head On, Collections of Rilke/Neruda/Lorca poetry etc). So it isn't just records on which this forum eats away at your hours and pockets. I don't know about you but I'm starting to feel like a butterfly - resting briefly on one flower then another but rarely sticking around long enough to take in the full glory of the scenery.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »
I've just been lent a copy and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

The repeat on BBC4 of No Direction Home last night reminded me that I never quite got round to watching the second part. I shall have to rectify that soon.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2006, 04:58:19 AM »
Anyone interested in a Bob Dylan radio show? Here are some links I came across to copies of the first three shows....

THE FIRST ONE (WEATHER):
http://rapidshare.de/files/18731455/BobDylanShow.mp3.html

another link to it:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fvk5l6

THE SECOND ONE (MOTHER):
http://rapidshare.de/files/20210454/bdxm2.mp3

THE THIRD ONE (DRINK):
http://rapidshare.de/files/20697780/Theme_Time_Radio_Hour_3.mp3

another link :
http://ww.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=03520A6630CFA25F
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 07:12:57 PM by Eke »

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 09:03:43 PM »
BASEBALL this time... I'm not sure if there's any interest for these shows but, if my word as a non-Dylan-fan's worth anything, I thoroughly recommend them.

link one:

http://rapidshare.de/files/21144594/06_05_24_-_Baseball_-_BobDylanShow_hi.wma

link two:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4mjoj8

link three:

http://rapidshare.de/files/21153931/theme_time_4.mp3

Offline Dave

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 10:03:20 PM »
Brilliant songwriter, i just can't stand listening to him. ONLY two sings i love are Lay Lady Lay & Watching The River Flow. Must be others of course, but there's no way i'll ever be buying any CDs unfortunately. Manfred Manns Earthband did a brilliant version of Father Of Day, Father Of Night, about 10 minutes long, apparently Bobs is about 2.
Stone me, what a life !!!

Offline LAMF

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 11:20:03 PM »
The first night (I'm sure I've told this before) we did Lonesome Hobo but neglected to include our current single. After reprimand from Michael Gudinski who was in front row we played it the next night, but I can't remember which song it was. Most disappointed not to see Dylan side stage but he was busy I'm sure.

If my memory serves me.... (since it was 20 years ago). I remember Dave's introduction to Lonesome Hobo as "We'd like to play a song by an up and coming young songwriter... We figure he could use the royalites".
In the realm of the senseless....

Offline KrieB

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2006, 09:25:44 AM »
 :) ... hopefully the up and coming young songwriter got that supporting message  :)

... cause the "assessment of Dylan in those years" that 25-year old DMcC as hardcore fan gave in this Sounds interview (October 1987) rings a rather bleak bell.

(One more of those marvellous meaty DMcC interviews available on pherron's site)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:27:21 AM by KrieB »
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 06:28:29 PM »
Anyone interested in a Bob Dylan radio show?

I'll keep plugging these as they're really rather good. The first of five daily repeats airs on BBC Radio 2 on December 23rd and they should remain available for a week afterwards on the BBC website.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 02:15:56 AM »
I still haven't voted in this poll, but think I may have just found
my favourite Dylan album

glee

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »
I'll have to try that one out on Kosmo. He knows/likes both. Very funny.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D - reminds me of the 60's pisstake (can't remember by who but its on the Pebbles series) called "Like a Dribbling Fram".  I'm very very fond of Bob - but he's ripe for satire.
K

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »
He knows/likes both. Very funny.

Yeah, me too....said Thing 1 to Thing 2 ;)

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble there. The sleeve artwork is cool and authentic looking and the music and vocals almost sound genuine.