Poll

Your favourite Bob Dylan album (not necessarily 'best')

The Freewheelin'Bob Dylan
The Times They Are A-Changing
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
Blood on the Tracks
The Basement Tapes
Desire
Street Legal
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
Love and Theft
Other
Dylan Hears A Who (an affectionate tribute to the perennial linguistic inventiveness of Dylan & Dr Seuss you must hear if you haven't)

Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 13851 times)

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
Bob Dylan
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:09:17 PM »
Just to remind everyone of Scorsese's  Dylan-documentary that will be aired tommorrow and Tuesday evening on BBC 2. "The most important rock documentary of the last 20 years", or so they say. Can't hardly wait:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/09_september/09/dylan_arena_overview.shtml

Just to get you all in the mood, what is your favourite Dylan album?
It took me some time to decide, but I go for Desire anyway, although Bringing It All Back Home and Blood on the Tracks come close.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:13:46 PM by Johan de Witt »
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

Adam

Re: Bob Dylan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:37:58 PM »
Gone for JWH but needed several votes here really - 'Time out of mind' is a particular favourite as well.

As are most of those really.  At risk of raking over old ground, since this has been discussed to some extent elsewhere and a number of people have already stated their position, Ill still say it again - there aren't many people in this game, or the arts in general, that might yet make their best work 45 years in but Dylan might.  He is peerless.

You risk missing out some other winners there Johan but necessarily so I guess.  A friend of mine, much more serious about Dylan than I am, says that 'Street legal' (1978) is a genuine classic and, looking at that feature in Mojo last month, it seems that no less an authority than Patti Smith for one agrees but I haven't even heard it.  I've temporarily stalled at about 20 albums of his but the joy of Dylan is that there is always more - more to hear for the first time and more to hear differently in what you already know.

robweb

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
Voted for "Other" = ie Self Portrait. A singular work of genius by the boy with the blackboard nail scrape vocal.

glee

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »
Voted for Nashville Skyline, because it's the Dylan record that first hauled me in when I bought it from a record club. I tend to think Blonde on Blonde is the best record but this is the one that stirs up feelings  for me.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:55:06 PM »
I went for "Times ..." - though frankly I love a lot of them!

Offline genkboy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 04:31:03 PM »
Hard to choose between several masterpieces, but I went for "blonde on blonde".
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 10:24:38 PM »
You risk missing out some other winners there Johan but necessarily so I guess.

Well, i didn't feel like including (typing) all of his 57 or so albums, so I made a selection of records I own and love. I've included Street Legal now though and also Oh Mercy, which got me into his music in the first place in 1989.
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

Offline gsalmon

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:23:17 AM »
I voted BOB, Blonde on blonde, arguably the best double album in history.  But no home should be without Blood on the tracks, Bringing it all back home & Highway 61 revisited neither of course

Adam

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 08:49:03 AM »
Just in from tonight's Dylan show at Brixton.  He played 2 hours, has a very good band that had to accomodate a lot of improv, and we got lots of oldies.  Off the top of my head, we got Maggies farm, Stuck inside of mobile etc, Most likely you'll go your way, Shelter from the storm, All along the watchtower, Like a rolling stone, Hattie Carrol, a hard rain's a gonna fall,  She belongs to me, and perhaps half a dozen more with a couple from 'Love & theft'.  They came out and played a slab of 'Rumble' by Link Wray which was a nice touch.  The voice was slow to warm up but he was in complete control long before the end. 

It occurred to me that all the complaints about having to guess the song are really misplaced.  He has rearranged most of them, true enough, but he has done largely so in the style of the last album so that the set flows and the songs breathe.  It seems like a reason to like and admire him, rather than to knock him, that he keeps the catalogue fresh this way.  It was a good night.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 09:19:57 AM »
Adam - have you read 'Chronicles' yet?  Its got quite a long section on how he reconnected with doing live performances again and its directly connected to your observation about allowing the set to 'flow and breathe'.

He also talks about the tour he did with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his backing band as being the absolute low point before he regained his sense of 'self' in live performance again.  I remember this show when he played Sydney and you could tell he was still trying to find a way back into his songs.  I can't recall if this was also the same tour where the Triffids supported him.   

glee

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 10:42:33 AM »
The Heartbreakers tour was the tour we did two support spots on and, yes, it was bad. He reminded me of a puppet and one with a pissed puppeteer at that. Have seen him since in intimate venue and big hall and it was great both times.

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 10:49:21 AM »
I got given one of the thousands of free tickets for the second(?) Entertainment Centre show. They had to fill the place because they were filming it. Dylan was hardly there and it was actually a relief when Tom Petty did a song. There was a great atmosphere there as I think most of the audience got freebies and it was more like a school outing than attending a serious concert.

It was great to see The Triffids on the big stage, they belonged there. I think they only played for about 20 minutes though.

glee

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 10:53:30 AM »
The first night (I'm sure I've told this before) we did Lonesome Hobo but neglected to include our current single. After reprimand from Michael Gudinski who was in front row we played it the next night, but I can't remember which song it was. Most disappointed not to see Dylan side stage but he was busy I'm sure.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 11:31:01 AM »
Thanks Glee for confirming it was the one and the same gig.  As I've said before, my memory isn't really great when it comes to the specifics.

Like Weasel, I was there for both nights as well.  On the first night as a paying customer and on the second as a freebie - they hadn't sold many seats and a radio station was advertising a deal that you would be let in for free if you came as one of the characters in Dylan's song.  Not being much of a fancy dress man I came with a pencil in my hand and was let in!

I was also working for one of the entertainment industry unions at the time and I had to go to the venue for work earlier in the evening of the first night.  I was there when Dylan was sound-checking - he was playing some really bad keyboards while the band played on.  Now I'm sure Glee doesn't remember this at all but when I was at the backstage loading in/out door I ran into both Rob and Glee.  I knew Rob a little bit as he was keen on a girl I was sharing a house with at the time and he used to come over to visit - so we chatted a bit about the impending gig & about how Dylan had 'lost it'.

I remember feeling sorry for the Triffids that night - its really difficult being a support band at these large venues when people are drifting in and out, the PA system seems to be set at half strength and the lighting system is largely turned off and set to one colour.  From my seat in the audience the Triffids didn't seem to be in awe of being on the same bill as Dylan - rather I got the sense there was a feeling that it was all a bit ridiculous.

glee

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 12:52:06 PM »

I was also working for one of the entertainment industry unions at the time and I had to go to the venue for work earlier in the evening of the first night.  I was there when Dylan was sound-checking - he was playing some really bad keyboards while the band played on.  Now I'm sure Glee doesn't remember this at all but when I was at the backstage loading in/out door I ran into both Rob and Glee. 
I remember feeling sorry for the Triffids that night - its really difficult being a support band at these large venues when people are drifting in and out, the PA system seems to be set at half strength and the lighting system is largely turned off and set to one colour.  From my seat in the audience the Triffids didn't seem to be in awe of being on the same bill as Dylan - rather I got the sense there was a feeling that it was all a bit ridiculous.

While it's always a bit frustrating to be supporting for the reasons you suggest, we would never have turned those gigs down. And, bad as he was, Dylan is always interesting even if in a perverse sort of way. I can remember the soundcheck, the bad keyboard playing, but I can't remember Kieren.