Poll

Their best album?

Crocodiles
Heaven Up Here
Porcupine
Ocean Rain
Echo and the Bunnymen
Evergreen
What Are You Going To Do With Your Life?
Flowers
Siberia
I don't know any of their albums
I don't like Echo nor the Bunnymen

Author Topic: Echo and the Bunnymen  (Read 8024 times)

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
Echo and the Bunnymen
« on: August 28, 2005, 06:41:13 PM »
I thought Urpal wrote about them here, as he did on The Smiths, but I can't find either of them...
Anyway, they have a new album out in a week or two, which according to Chris Martin is the best they've ever done (I shouldn't have said that).
They remain one of my favourite ever bands.
There's an interview with Mac about the new album here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tvandfilm/theticket/music/tm_objectid=15896346%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=in%2dfrom%2dthe%2dcold-name_page.html
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

robweb

Re: Echo and the Bunnymen
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:35:05 PM »
Right, here we go.

I voted for Crocodiles. It's the only one of their LPs I can still listen to. It might be because at that stage they had stolen all of their ideas [and look - if you believe Cope] from the Teardrops and a bit of the magic had rubbed off them.

The rest contain nuggets of greatness but Mac's lyrics are cringeworthy and huge swathes of the music are just dull. I think the Bunnymen have dated very badly compared with say Magazine, the Teardrops, Gang of Four, the Cure, the Smiths, Orange Juice, early The The etc. De Freitas' drumming is great though.

Sorry.

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 08:34:49 PM »
Ocean Rain it is for me. Too bad you can't vote for the new album already, Johan :D
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »
You can now, for those who have the patience to wait a couple of weeks or who have the album already, like Chris Martin.

Offline genkboy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 04:54:37 AM »
Crocodiles is fantastic. Maybe because it's very short.  ;)

I have a tendency of liking debut albums. Treeless plain also is my favorite Triffids one.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:38:33 AM »
You can listen to samples of the Bunnymen's forthcoming LP Siberia from the "Exclusive" link at the Bunnymen.com website at the moment. The snippets suggest it's probably more of the recent same rather than a classic, but it's difficult to tell from the 30 seconds or so available.

I saw 'em live at Leeds on Friday night and they were as good live as ever, though Will's guitar work was a bit smooth toned on the occasion for my tastes. They stuck mostly to the Bunnymen songbook, but played one new song: it was the same one they debuted last year at the Liverpool pre-Christmas gig. It's a strong song, so I suppose that is more promising news.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline vps

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 05:38:27 AM »
Quite like the way they sound on the "Live in Liverpool" cd from 2001, so it would be nice to see them up here as well, not much hope of that I suppose. But in general it would have to be "Ocean Rain", which really is a classic worthy of any top 50 albums ever list. 
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 07:45:36 AM »
"Ocean Rain" was, of course, advertised at the time as the Greatest Album Ever Made through Bill Drummond's unusual promotional efforts. Mac still regularly introduces the closing track which gives it the name as the best song ever written - and as a lie set closer it certainly feels pretty fine in the moment.

I was at one of the LIPA gigs at which the Live In Liverpool LP was recorded. It was a small and unusual venue. Suitably theatrical on an intimate scale but the gold embossed and velvet backed furnishings made the atmosphere a bit stiff and stultifying for the audience. For some reason I haven't yet got round to buying the CD or DVD of the event.

If Bill were still managing the band I would have thought Finland might well be on the touring agenda - the islands of the Outer Hebrides in Scotland were and remain pretty unusual and anti-commercial touring locations. The Bunnymen are doing a World Tour to promote the album, but seem to be sticking to the mainstream venues:

26th - 28th August Carling Festival

10th September Fiera Della Musica

22nd October Nottingham Rescue Rooms

24th October Sheffield Leadmill

27th October Manchetser Academy

30th October Birmingham Academy

31st October Portsmouth Pyamid Rooms

1st November London Shepherds Bush Empire

3rd November Cologne - Prime Club

4th November Hamburg - Grunspan

6th November Berlin - Columbia Club

7th November Copenhagen - Vega Jnr

8th November Amsterdam - Paradiso - On Sale 19/8/05

10 th November Antwerp - Hof Der Lo - On Sale 17/8/05

18th November Washington DC 'Black Cat'

19th November Boston MA 'Axis'

20nd November New York NY 'Irving Plaza'

22nd November Philadelphia PA 'Theater Of The Living Arts'

23rd November Toronto ON 'The Carlu'

25th November Chicago IL 'Metro - Smart Bar'

26th Novembe Minneapolis MN 'Fine Line Music Cafe

28th November Denver CO 'Gothic Theatre'

30th November Boise ID 'The Big Easy'

1st December Portland OR 'Wonder Ballroom'

2nd December Vancouver BC 'Richard's on Richard'

3rd December Seattle WA 'Showbox'

5th December San Francisco CA 'The Filmore'

6th December Los Angeles CA 'House Of Blues'

7th December Anaheim CA 'House Of Blues'

9th December San Diego CA 'House Of Blues'

16th December Liverpool Acadamy

robweb

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 06:44:40 PM »
"Ocean Rain" was, of course, advertised at the time as the Greatest Album Ever Made through Bill Drummond's unusual promotional efforts. Mac still regularly introduces the closing track which gives it the name as the best song ever written - and as a lie set closer it certainly feels pretty fine in the moment.

I've got a VHS of them previewing three songs from the LP that I taped off the Tube. Mac is doing a good impression of being off his box and the versions are spikier than on the LP. I recall at the time that we all [big fans then] felt a bit underwhelmed ["c-c-c-cucuumber, c-c-c--cabage"!].

Still, Killing Moon is a fine record - used very well in Donnie Darko.

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »

3rd November Cologne - Prime Club

4th November Hamburg - Grunspan

6th November Berlin - Columbia Club

7th November Copenhagen - Vega Jnr

8th November Amsterdam - Paradiso - On Sale 19/8/05

10 th November Antwerp - Hof Der Lo - On Sale 17/8/05

Yes, I've bought my tickets for the Paradiso already.
"Ocean Rain" was, of course, advertised at the time as the Greatest Album Ever Made through Bill Drummond's unusual promotional efforts.

I think side 2 of that album still stands as one of the best sides of any record, ever. 4 brilliant songs back to back.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 06:51:47 PM by Johan de Witt »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »
Ocean Rain is a great record, but in my view the Bunnymen were always let down by the production of their records which never lived up to the live experience - ironic given that Bill Drummond has gone on to write a book suggesting that anyone can have a hit record if they book a studio and let the techies get on with it and Broudie has had a run of pop hits with the Lightning Seeds largely due to their "big production" sounds. Ocean Rain came closest to working in the studio.

That Tube appearance by the Bunnymen was excellent, robweb, and, as I recall, far more exciting than the LP renditions of the songs.

Adam

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 04:44:04 AM »
Anyway, they have a new album out in a week or two, which according to Chris Martin is the best they've ever done

Like he'd know!  I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Martin was the secretary of the Sting fan club while he was at university.  Stuck in my mind because he went to the same place, and did the same course, as I did.  And because I hate Sting.

Always used to love the Bunnymen, really love them, and had some of the best nights of my life in their company in 84 & 85.  They were off the boil before they split though and I wasn't all that distraught when they did.  I do remember the sense of shock and dismay in the pub when someone came in and said that Pete De Freitas had died though. 

Their solo projects were all, for the most part, rubbish and I didn't mind.  I loved the idea that they were more than the sum of their parts as a group.  All the best bands always are, from the Beatles on.  For this reason, and cos Pete was gone, I really didn't want them to reform but they played their first big comeback show in London on my birthday so I had to go and they were magnificent.   That was where I left it though.  I haven't been back or bought any of the Mk II records after 'evergreen' (which I got for the old Peel sessions giveaway). 

I did buy the reissue of 'Heaven up here' last year, the record I voted for here, because my much-loved vinyl copy is exhausted.  Still sounds great to me.  The tacked-on live tracks were recorded at the Manley Vale Hotel, Sydney, Nov 11th 1981.  Was anyone there?

Offline weasel

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »
HUH was and still is my favourite Bunnymen album, better songs than Crocodiles, much less bombastic than what came sfter. They were great on their 1981 tour of Australia. I saw them at the Capitol Theatre and The Sundowner Inn in Cabramatta (and lived to tell the tale). The Manly Vale gig was broadcast on JJJ and I still have a tape of it which i will transfer some day.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 05:07:04 PM »
Ocean Rain for me. Almost Crocodiles as it was a big part of my yoof but I must have fallen for the "best album ever made" publicity because I love it so.

Offline Rowen

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 02:31:43 AM »
I have to agree that heaven Up Here was probably their most inspired album. Show of Strength and Over the Wall are really among my favourite Bunnymen-tracks.