Author Topic: Eels  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Eels
« on: May 03, 2005, 04:34:28 AM »
Not a big fan (in fact I don't own a record - my wife has got one of their singles somewhere), but I have always admired them a little from afar.

I've heard their new single(?) a couple of times on the radio in the last few days though and it's an uplifting ditty that could tempt me recordshopward.

Here's a link to Hey Man (Now You're Really Living) for your listening pleasure:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A3929240

They're new album's also BBC6 Music album of the day and you can listen to it on their website.

Go on, live a little.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline bodajmac

Re: Eels
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:01:38 AM »
i'd highly recommend this lot - almost all of their stuff is worth a listen although the character of the various albums does seem to change a lot over time depending on who main man E's collaborating with.   'novocaine for the soul' was a fairly big indie hit a few years back from the beautiful freak album, second album electro-shock blues is a fantastically raw record written and recorded in the shadow of the death of E's mother and suicide of his sister with lots of tom waits-y touches and top notch songcraft.  daisies of the galaxy features peter buck quite heavily and is a little more straightforward musically but probably their best record with a knack for immensely affecting lyrics with a side order of quirk.  next album souljacker features E collaborating with Polly Harvey sidekick john parish and is a bit more raw and rocky although patchy in terms of quality still well worth a listen.  shootenanny! was next, i liked it but seemed to be missing something...which brings us right up to date with new double album blinking lights and other revelations - this features tracks recorded over an 8 year period across a whole range of styles and has been getting fantastic reviews.  the whole album's available in streamed format at http://www.nme.com/features/112117.htm - give it a go why dontcha?

look out for a couple of eels postings in lyrics forum soon, just for an indication of range...

Adam

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:12:06 AM »
I'm wild about 'electro-shock blues' - a record as bleak in outlook as 'Berlin', imagine that - and also 'daisies of the galaxy' - but i find he has a formula and he sticks to it, or has done since 'daisies' anyway, and I thought it was getting a bit thin until the new one which is more of the same but somehow more so.  I don't know why yet but it feels like a return to form.     

EDIT - oh, it's the 8 year timespan isn't it?  I probably like it cos at least some of it dates from the same time as the stuff i really like already.  Hmmm.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:54:41 PM by Adam »

Offline mich

• kawada
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 06:56:18 AM »
I was lucky enough to win the new Eels album on Studio Brussel last week and received it last friday....
I like it a lot. E's lyrics are rather depressing, but there's also a optimistic feeling you got after listening to the album.
Tom Waits and Pete Buck are some of the guests on it.

Worth listening to it!

Adam

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:34:23 AM »
eels now added to Patti Smith Meltdown for those in the area

http://www.rfh.org.uk/main/series/202.html?section=contemporary&file=&month=&week=

robweb

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:47:19 PM »
Saw them at the O2 festival in Leeds yesterday. They were awesome. The band were dressed in USAF flying suits and accompanied by "The Security Guard" who kung-fu kicked his way through the set, when he wan't bashing a tambourine, playing hammond or pulling stunts. The set came over like an indie ZZ Top with lyrics by Lawrence, aside from a very beautiful song about E's newborn child played on Hammond. The big finish was "I put a Spell on You" and "That's Life". Brilliant!

Adam

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »
Saw them at the O2 festival in Leeds yesterday. They were awesome. The band were dressed in USAF flying suits and accompanied by "The Security Guard" who kung-fu kicked his way through the set, when he wan't bashing a tambourine, playing hammond or pulling stunts. The set came over like an indie ZZ Top with lyrics by Lawrence, aside from a very beautiful song about E's newborn child played on Hammond. The big finish was "I put a Spell on You" and "That's Life". Brilliant!

Saw them last night and can only concur.  My colleague for the evening, who does not frequent these pages, also mentioned ZZ Top but I was thinking more of the Chocolate Watchband or someone like that.   They were brilliant.  I was thinking, Mark T, you said you'd seen them before but I guess you haven't seen them like this - the tour is called 'no strings attached' and it marks a kicking against the gentle subtle sound of recent years.  It's full on garage rock madness.  I'd suggest you go if they're coming to a town near you.

And I know this is an odd question but....was that Peter Buck on the other guitar?  Bear in mind he was in a boiler suit, sunglasses, hat and beard - but there was something very familiar about him.

Offline mark t

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »
Love to Adam, but I've opted for Sonic Youth. I saw them in 'zz top mode :)', the tour before the strings, so that helps a bit I suppose.

Adam

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 05:43:14 PM »
ah fair enough  :)  They're playing 2 nights in Melbourne mind you  ;)

http://www.eelstheband.com/tourdates/

Offline Kieren

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 05:54:37 PM »
Yep - I'm off to the Sydney date.  Missed the last tour (with strings) which was listed as one of the best Sydney gigs of year.  I did, however, see the one before that which was loud R'n'R - so maybe the forthcoming gig will be more of the same.

Offline mark t

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 09:30:44 AM »
OK-  thanks Adam!

Thats decided, sold out! >:(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:29:57 PM by mark t »

Offline pandzer

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »
I had seen them play in the Moore in Seattle on the "With Strings" tour - it was a night to remember.
It was my first Eels gig and I would have never imagined E being such a *dead funny* entertainer.

Offline camm

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
Yeah I'd agree that the eels are likely to be likeable for Triffids fans. Songs like-  railroad man, restraining order blues, selective memory, on my feet - have that certain something.