Author Topic: 3 Favourite Songs From Each Album  (Read 29760 times)

Offline Prkl

• rateyourmusic.com
3 Favourite Songs From Each Album
« on: February 04, 2004, 06:56:25 PM »
Treeless Plain:

1. Red Pony (maybe the first Triffids song I ever heard, and loved it instantly)
2. Hell of a Summer (obvious choice really, should/could have been a massive worldwide hit  :D )
3. Hanging Shed (gotta love the saw noises in the beginning)

Born Sandy Devotional:

1. The Seabirds
2. Tarrilup Bridge (Jill's voice....)
3. Lonely Stretch

In The Pines:

1. Born Sandy Devotional (Even if it is unfinished, it's still a great song!)
2. Just Might Fade Away (Is this the first/last country/industrial song ever?  :D  )
3. In The Pines (Although I like the version on Australian Melodrama compilation better)

Calenture:

1. Kelly's Blues
2. Jerdacuttup Man
3. Vagabond Holes

The Black Swan

1. The Clown Prince (Actually I hated this song at first...  :o )
2. Goodbye Little Boy (The best Jill-sung Triffid song IMHO, just lovely)
3. Falling Over You (This sounds like a Beck-song to me for some reason...  :huh: )

Offline Prkl

• rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 11:58:54 AM »
top 3 non-album tracks:

1. Field of Glass
2. Beautiful Waste
3. Love the Fever
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:25:23 AM by Prkl »

Offline juha

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 09:07:06 AM »
I'm kind of bored, so I follow Prkl's lead..

Treeless Plain:

1. Red Pony (Obvious choice... but really, it's an amazing song)
2. Madeline (Personal favourite...)
3. Branded (It's the lyrics.. There's hardly no one who isn't branded for life, I think.. Sad but true)

Raining Pleasure:

(This is the only lp by the Triffids that I don't own, so I can only list the songs I've heard)

1. Raining Pleasure
2. Property is Condemned

Born Sandy Devotional:

1. Wide Open Road (It has to be this.. the first Triffids song I ever heard.. it's absolutely beautiful how lyrics and music go together in this song)
2. Personal Things ( This is pure pop perfection.. and like always great lyrics)
3. the Seabirds (Perfect first song of the record in a same as Sunday Morning, Suzanne or, oh well, Red Pony are. and that line "are you drinking to get maudlin or drinking to get numb" gets me every time..)

In the Pines:

1. Kathy Knows (Just great)
2. Better of This Way
3. In the PInes ( I love the allusion of the original, which Dave didn't heard before writing this song, right?)

Calenture:

1. Hometown Farewell Kiss ( I don't know which version I like the best, but this version usually just blows me away.. great song and great lyrics.. )
2. Jerdacuttup Man (I played Calenture to my best friend and this almost made her cry... a kind of strange lyrics, but so so so sad ones.. makes me go "I just got something stuck on my eye"  ;)  )
3. Bury Me Deep In Love ( I suprised myself for picking this one, but I've allways felt that it's kind of a twin sister of Wide Open Road or something.. If that makes any sense...)

the Black Swan:

1. Fairytale Love (This song may not have the best name, but it's the most beautiful triffids song in my opinion)
2. the Clown Prince (the title always makes me think of Prince and how great his music is, also it's musically a great piece... full of ambition)
3. American Sailors (Some might say this is pretty pointless song, but it is a great song.. if someone calls it an interlude, I reply that it is a center piece of the album)

That was tough..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:12:53 AM by juha »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 10:13:14 AM »
Tough, but a worthy effort. I'd have traded "In The Pines" (despite a certain emotional resonance this now holds) for "25 to 5" (short but sweet).

As for "Raining Pleasure", you should seek it out (literally:)). The first LP I bought by the Triffs and it therefore has a very special place in my record collection and the old memory palace.  All the tracks are fine and it's difficult to choose between them. No-one's done "St James Infirmary" better (as far as I know) and "Jesus Calling" kick starts an interestingly ambiguous religious trail that runs right through to "Love Of Will". Did Dave once have a girlfriend who rejected him for the convent (or was this (his or) my imagination running overtime)? Interestingly, I was reading a Valentine's day feature in last weeks Independent On Sunday magazine where a grey haired cultural figure here in the UK (I can't remember who at the moment but I've an idea he is a well known writer of Irish origin or descent) recounted this having happened to him with his "first love" in his childhood. In emotional impact, I would have thought that must be like dating someone in earnest and ardour for several months and then finding out he or she is gay (and I've known one or two people who have encountered that turn of events). Love is a many splendoured thing.

It's difficult to make these selection lists because it requires a certain obsessive sifting and implicit rejection. This is partly a subjective problem for me (3 is never enough) but also carries the danger of leading into the "cookieism" mentality of modern populist marketing strategy. Without wishing to sound like a cultural elitist, it seems to me that this need for corporates to encourage us to compile lists and be entertained by them has for years now set a "lowest common denominator" factor into our culture. It is partly this development which lead to the writing of bands like The Triffids from the history books and the ascendency of Westlife and their ilk in the first place. Everything is good, everything is groovy. Some things are just more groovy than others:) Many of the things which are grooviest operate outside the standard deviation and maybe always will.

Having got off my hobby horse again (in readiness for another intake of nicotine), I say party on with the lists. Better to set out your preferences and compare notes than sit on the fence in silence.

We all have our croissants to bear

Offline junkmale

• It's a long way down as the crow flies...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 06:06:28 AM »
Treeless Plain:

1. Red Pony
2. Hell of a Summer
3. Lonesome Hobo

Born Sandy Devotional:

1. The Seabirds
2. Tender is the Night
3. Lonely Stretch

In The Pines:

1. One Soul Less on Your Fiery List
2. Suntrapper
3. In The Pines

Calenture:

1. Trick of the Light
2. Jerdacuttup Man
3. Unmade Love

The Black Swan

1. Too Hot To Think
2. New Year's Greeting
3. Good Fortune Rose

enough said...

Ronan Q

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 05:35:36 AM »
right...here we go so....

treeless plain:
red pony
plaything
hell of a summer

raining pleasure:
jesus calling
raining pleasure
embedded

born sandy devotional:
wide open road
estuary bed
stolen property

in the pines:
one soul less
in the pines
suntrapper

calenture:
bury me deep in love
trick of the light
blinder by the hour

the black swan:
falling over you
new years greetings
too hot to move...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 09:35:19 AM »
I'm gonna have to take this by instalments - too much fine wine can make you unwell.

1. Calenture

Save What You Can (a lyric sad and mature beyond it's writers years)
Blinder By The Hour (a great take on the warmth and duality of romantic love)
Hometown Farewell Kiss (a soul classic from a surprising source)

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 07:55:31 PM »
First of all the albums that I own, in the order that I like them.
1) Calenture
2) Born Sandy Devotional
3) In The Pines
4) The Black Swan
5) Treeless Plain.

Calenture:
1) Trick of the Light
2) Save What You Can
3) Blinder By The Hour

BSD:
1) Stolen Property
2) Estuary Bed
3) Personal Things

ITP:
1) Better Off This Way
2) Love And Affection
3) 25 to 5

TBS:
1) New Year's Greetings
2) Too Hot to Move...
3) Fairytale Love

TP:
1) Hell of a Summer
2) Plaything
3) Place In The Sun
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 07:19:49 AM »
It was quite interesting to me to note that of the contributions made to this list so far there is quite a wide range of selected faves - for instance, the selections made from Calenture between the various contributors cover more or less every song on the record.

This seems to prove that The Triffids songs were generally of consistent high quality.

It occurs to me that it might be less difficult (and more controversial) to work this selection process in reverse and to choose instead Triffids songs you could personally live without - those songs that when listening to a Triffids album you can comfortably hit the "skip" button on or which present a suitable opportunity to go and make the tea or relieve your bladder.

I can only think of one or two songs to start off the debate.

I've never thought that much of "Chicken Killer". Maybe it should have been strangled at birth?

"Farmers Never Visit Nightclubs" has a certain novelty record quality to it that probably limits its appeal to the sort of nightclubs farmers might visit - sandwiched somewhere between the Oki Kokey (if that's how you spell it?) and The Birdy Song.

Anyone feel a strong allegiance to these songs or wish to nominate any other candidiates for demolition/debate?

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 09:17:16 PM »
I love "Chicken Killer". It is not the best track on BSD but BSD is one of the best albums of the 1980s and, like Calenture, doesn't have a weak track on it, imho.
For weak Triffids-tracks you have to look at Treeless Plain and The Black Swan instead. I could live without  "Spinning Top Song" for instance, it really ruins the album for me in a way.
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 08:45:43 AM »
I agree BSD is a great record, but Chicken Killer doesn't strike me as a great song and IMHO the album would not be less of a classic were the (arguably) straggler song lost.

Having just reminded myself by reference to the lyrics page of this site of the content of Chicken Killer beyond the mildly irritating "here he comes, the chicken killer again etc" chorus line, perhaps I'm being a bit unfair to its value in the round.

Personally though, I'd still give you 10 chicken killers for one spinning top. The Spinning Top Song has challenge, energy and dynamism in spades and was one of the highlights of the Triffids Black Swan era live sets. A disorientatingly swirling aural landscape.

So it looks like only "Farmers" goes into Room 101 so far unless there are more nominations or votes to be lodged out there?

Offline Prkl

• rateyourmusic.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 10:53:16 AM »
Ok, here's some of my least favourite album tracks

Treeless Plain
-Nothing Can Take Your Place (Sorry Alsy....)

BSD
-Chicken Killer (Well, it's not that bad, but it's a bit too silly)

In The Pines
-Do You Want Me Near You? (Seriously Alsy, it's nothing personal!  :o )
-Once a Day (Well, it's fun to hear Graham singing too, but he does a lot better covering PSB's Rent, than this, IMO  :))

Calenture

The Black Swan
-No sub-par tracks here either!

glee

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 10:37:08 PM »
I must agree on Once A Day. I think it's a good song in a generic, one idea country song sort of way but our version of it was fun to play live and only really worked in a live context. Even then it became something of an albatross around my neck when groups of drunken men would call out for that song all night. Surely they'd rather hear Stolen Property, I know I would.
Chicken Killer was inspired by Flannery O'Connor I think and meant to be a southern gothic thing. I think it's quite good lyrically but not one of my favourites.
There's a lot of disposable stuff from the very early years but Dave was only 16, 17 years old. There's great stuff too.
One song that never really gelled as a recording, and never had a sufficiently good arrangement is Shell Of The (a?) Man. Dave hated Farmers Never... in later years anyway. I was never a huge fan of Setting You Free from Love Of Will.
Ocean Of You on one of the Blackeyed Susans' EPs is a great little known Dave song. Dave sings it too.
I grew to love The Spinning Top Song after initial bewilderment. Falling Over You has stood up well over the years I think though it was quite a departure for the band at the time.
Ramble, ramble, ramble... must be because Ramblin' Jack Elliott is in town.  

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 09:00:10 AM »
I can't agree with you about Once A Day, Graham. It's one of the best songs on In The Pines. The live fun of the recording comes over well on the recording - you can almost hear the smiles and tongues in cheek.

glee

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 12:25:01 PM »
Thanks for saying so.
It was written and originally recorded by Whispering Bill Anderson.  
The original version I was working from is by Scotty Stoneman, a great country fiddler (and singer) who played with the Kentucky Colonels along with Clarence White. Clarence went on to be in the Byrds before getting killed by a drunk driver at the age of 27. Scotty was a member of bluegrass family the Stonemans who had a family band. He was thrown out of the band because he was a hopeless drunk and also died tragically early because of his own drinking not someone else's. Scotty is recognised as the Jimi Hendrix of country fiddle. I'll try to find his version of the song and post an mp3 (briefly in case I get sued).  
I still can't listen to my version of it.
I did like the version I sang with the Red Ponies of 20/20 Vision (and walkin' 'round blind).