Author Topic: Athens, Greece in the mid '80's  (Read 6775 times)

Offline JerdacuttupMan

Athens, Greece in the mid '80's
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:08:50 AM »
I saw them live in Greece (thank God). I think they plaid that night a cover of Madonna's "Like a virgin" hahaha
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:14:03 AM by JerdacuttupMan »
WideOpenRoad

Offline LinuxRules

Re: Athens, Greece in the mid '80's
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:48:10 AM »
I saw them live in "Rodon Club" (The Rose Club) November 7th, Athens Hellas

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »
Welcome LynuxRules. As you may know, The Triffids caused a riot in Greece.

Can you tell us a bit about your memories of the concert at the Rodon Club?
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline LinuxRules

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:27 AM »
Well ...

I think that "The Triffids" had quite a fan base in Greece during the 80's. It was maybe due to a
radio producer named Argiris Zilos, who aired songs from "Treeless Plain" in his radio show, "Apoixi",
in 1984, that many listen to them for the first time. At least I was ...
Listening to Alt-music in the mid 80's in Greece, deriving from a public radio station, was more or less
a "spiritual" even. This way "The Triffids" experience started.

The concert in "Rodon Club" was my chance to materialize the sounds I was hearing all these
years, my adolescence years. It was one day's trip to Athens and back for the concert with friends.
The band was a bit "cold" at startup, but as peopled yelled and begging for "Red Pony", they performed
 good and definitely pleased us all, at the end of the day.

Along with good memories, I think I still have the poster of that event, and possibly a cassette tape with
really bad audio!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:45:46 AM »
Excellent. Thanks for that. I had no idea that The Triffids were big in Greece at one time.

Some time ago someone posted a link to a band based in Greece whose name was probably inspired by a Triffids record - were they called Calenture or something else?*

Anyway, it's good to have you here to keep the Olympic torch alive, LynuxRules ;)

From what you say about the basis of The Triffids popularity in Greece, is the early stuff (Raining Pleasure/Treeless Plain) more your thing than the later albums (BSD/Calenture/Black Swan) then?

* It was Raining Pleasure
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 01:49:54 AM by Urpal »

Offline LinuxRules

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:09:27 AM »
Yes, "Raining Pleasure" they are
http://www.nme.com/newmusic/raining-pleasure
http://www.myspace.com/rainingpleasure

Well .. people listening to "B'day Party" at that time knew "The Triffids" from
their earlier work. But "Calenture" made them known, and almost touched
the realms of popularity.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:55:46 PM by LinuxRules »

glee

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:29:59 AM »
Thanks for bringing up the subject of Greece. Despite the riot of '88 we still really loved Greece, though we didn't go back again. Strangely enough, earlier this year, while we were preparing for our first show in Hasselt, bdroop was contacted by someone who wanted us to support Iggy Pop at a festival in Greece. Unfortunately, we couldn't do it. I've received one or two other requests to go to Greece. 

Offline bonadrug

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 02:33:59 AM »
Here's an article about the riots in Athens during the Triffids performance in 1988.
It is from the excellent "Sounds" magazine.
http://www.mic.gr/live.asp?id=33664

As i was present that day i can offer you my memories.
First of all the producers of the event had got it all wrong...
You coudn't put the Triffids and PIL together because they had different if not opponent and hatingeachother fanbases. Not to mention that the event was free (no money) so among with the fans came hordes of punks (they were still thriving in Greece by that time) to exchange swearing, spittles and beer cans with Johny Rotten (then Lydon i think). Those punks , stoned most of them, didn't know the triffids, some of them didn;t even know Public Image, they only knew Johny Rotten. But they recognized the Madonna song "Into The Groove" and thought that it was a sign that called for them to express their anti-social behavior. In a few minutes everything was on fire... I wonder if the band ever tried to perform the song again  :D        

The Triffids were quite popular back then in Greece. So were Nick Cave (he was really huge back then in Greece) , Go-Betweens and The Chills. The reason was that several radio producers really liked the bands and played them repeatedly. Some really good music mags and fanzines (like "Rollin Under") really loved them too.
Treeles Plain and Raining Pleasure were the most listened but I got into them with Born Sandy Devotional .....    

PS. I saw the band last night - you were great ........................Thank you...  

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:36:05 AM by bonadrug »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
Thanks for that, Bonadrug. Sure I would have read it that piece at the time, but I'd forgotten just how bad it was and I'd certainly forgotten about the political element. It's treated as a bit of a joke here, in a way largely because it's just so ludicrous that it all went off during The Triffids' set, I suppose but it really must have been terrifying.

Glad to hear last night's gig went more smoothly!
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 05:43:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure the playing of a Madonna song wasn't the catalyst for the riot. Security had well and truly broken down before we even started to play. There were people climbing up the lighting towers and stage barriers had been destroyed. We were well received apart from quite a few coins being thrown from parts of the crowd, well received enough to have considered doing an encore had we now been told we should get our selves and our stuff off the stage as quickly as possible. The actual rioting didn't start until after we were off stage. It began as soon as the announcement was made that PIL wouldn't play.   

Offline LinuxRules

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »
Memorabilia! Nov. 6th 1987!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that Linuxrules.

On the subject of memorabilia, I recently met up with member adp on a brief visit by him to Manchester from his native Freemantle and he delivered a gift in the form of an original gaffer-taoed stage setlist from the Perth ASITSOAS show of 22 February 2009 (Over 5 years ago: How time flies!) It is now framed and ready to adorn a wall somewhere. I'll see about posting a photo of it here soon. Thanks again to adp for going to the trouble of initially preserving this artefact for 5 years and then carrying it all the way around the world and putting it in my direction. As I said to adp, taking delivery of the setlist felt similar to how I imagine it must feel being the recipient of one of those messages children cast out to sea in a bottle which wash ashore in another part of the world years later.