Author Topic: Too Many...too Many....!  (Read 2598 times)

Ronan Q

Too Many...too Many....!
« on: January 16, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
Well, the ones that spring immediately to mind would be........
New Year's Greetings
Hell Of A Summer
Stolen Property
and........
One Soul Less On Your Fiery List

But jeez, there are too many to choose from. I only discovered The Triffids about two and a half years ago. A mate of mine in work passed on some stuff to me, including his own compilation and I fell in love with it all straight away. I was intruiged by the lyrics and the music and well...the whole thing really. It's quite hard to find many other people to share this with because over here in the small western town of Galway in Ireland, there aren't many people who would be aware of The Triffids, let alone have heard them. But I'm trying to remedy that by sending stuff to a lot of my mates ,etc. kind of like when you find something truly amazing you want to share it and allow people to discover it like you have. Of course, their reactions can't always mirror your own.
Another few songs I love......
Old Ghostrider
Estuary Bed
You Don't Miss Your Water(a cover I know, but I just love the sound of this song)
Tender Is The Night

Ah I could go on and on......
Graham, thanks for the site. It's good to have somwhere at least where people can come on and talk about the band. Here's hoping more people take the time to do just that over the next while......

RQ

glee

Too Many...too Many....!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 09:24:23 AM »
Ronan -
I often wonder what the records sound like to the modern listener and it's good to hear of someone like yourself who only came to the music long after the band ceased to exist. It's hard to know if music will stand the test of time and I'm glad it has in your case.
Just listening to Born Sandy here at the moment (for the first time in a while) and it sounds pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 09:25:00 AM by glee »

anothermelbournite

Too Many...too Many....!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 02:26:41 PM »
I often wonder what the records sound like to the modern listener and it's good to hear of someone like yourself who only came to the music long after the band ceased to exist. It's hard to know if music will stand the test of time and I'm glad it has in your case.
Just listening to Born Sandy here at the moment (for the first time in a while) and it sounds pretty good.

It's interesting that you say that - I got into the band actually a few weeks before Dave died, by means of the Rage Compilation CD (with Wide Open Road on it) - although having said that I do remember seeing the clip for Bury Me Deep In Love and it being on some shit hits 88 cassette I've got from when I was very very young (6) - and think that the music does indeed stand the test of time - Born Sandy and Calenture do have a wee bit too much 80's-style big reverb drums, but the songs more than make up for this.  
The production of Raining Pleasure, in particular, appeals to me, and I think that The Black Swan sounds fantastic, as does In The Pines - with so very much overproduction around these days, it's really nice to hear something that simple.  That's another reason why I like Lawson Square Infirmary so very much. Even some of the songs off Bad Timing do stand up well (Bad Timing, Being Driven esp.), and the simple charm of Spanish Blue is great.

And they all sound better coming off vinyl, as far as I'm concerned. =]

Cheers,
Evan.

---
Banging On The Stereo
The Cricket - Australia vs. India, 2nd Final
Australia 2/90 - Hayden 43, Martyn 7

Offline plydon

Too Many...too Many....!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »
here in the small western town of Galway in Ireland, there aren't many people who would be aware of The Triffids
Hey Ronan, what's your band name & where are you next playing?

signed

a Mayoman

(i realise that this is slightly off topic so just to fall in line today my 3 fave Triffid songs are: Field of Glass, Tender is the night & Property is condemned)