Author Topic: Today's Playlist Funny: Only One Life  (Read 1315 times)

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
Today's Playlist Funny: Only One Life
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:22:31 AM »
Why, you ask, would this be a funny? Well, there's a little story... last September, as my girlfriend and I were on our way home from Wales, our plane hit severe weather on the approach to Schiphol. I'm not normally a nervous flyer, but I can't claim that I enjoyed all the jolting much. Poor Anke was trying her darndest to stick to a calming mantra. I defied all and any flight attendants and kept my iPod firmly stuck to my ear, when... Only One Life comes on. Haha. Very freakin' funny. (actually, it really was. and still is. And I so appreciate that)

Obviously, we made it home in one piece. Just had to think of that when Life shuffled back on.
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Today's Playlist Funny: Only One Life
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
That's interesting. I think I've mentioned that the line from Bury Me Deep about "when a lonesome climbing figure slips and loses grip" often springs to mind when I'm out hill walking and find myself "teetering on the brink" or thereabouts.  Perhaps The Triffids should have been called The Florentine Nightingales? I believe the name"The Nightingales" may have already been taken
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:26:09 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
Re: Today's Playlist Funny: Only One Life
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:30:20 AM »
Honestly, I know I may be a bit of a pervert in the humour department, but I always felt there was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek thing hidden in "Bury Me". I mean, David doesn't say "if" a stranger should fall to his doom, but "when", indicating this may be a bit of a regular occurrence, to which I say, then why is that blasted chapel hidden under a precipice in the first place? So you can fall, literally, into God's arms? Plummet into salvation? Conversely, if I'm stuck in a crevice, what do I need a chapel for that I can't get to... anyway... I love "Bury Me" for everything it is and everything it appears it could be.
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Today's Playlist Funny: Only One Life
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:15:50 AM »
That's interesting too. My experience suggests it  is quite common to find chapels in the valleys of mountain or hillside settings - generally, I assume, on account of folks tending to build settlements on low lying ground. Not that you could fall into them, though your fall if fatal would inevitably end there in a more general sense. It's funny how often I'm also reminded of biblical themes (e.g. calgary) whilst climbing, but that could be my catholic upbringing coming to the fore. I recognise the mildly over dramatic/ tongue in cheekiness of Dave's film score all the same. And that the story being told may take something of the form of a parable.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:18:18 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear