Author Topic: BSD Reviews - the big list  (Read 14243 times)

Offline glee

• Administrator
Re: BSD Reviews - the big list
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »
It's good to have Born Sandy in top ten...none of the other CDs snuck in though unless I'm mistaken. Taking in mind Toby's review of Calenture at the time perhaps no surprises there. You may have noticed that John O'Donnell wrote the blurb for the new best of. 

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »
I'd also like to know how the hell The Avalanches are in the top 10???

Well, it is a great album. IMO obviously but seemingly an "O" that's shared with others.

Great to see BSD there of course.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »
John O`Donnell says this about the Kiwi quandry in the local street press
"They had to have their homebase,their creative and career base in Aust.Split Enz`s very early albums,which were conceived,written and recorded in NZ didn`t fit,but the albums they wrote and made while based  in Aust were eligible.Crowded House were,in their first 5 to 7 years,absolutely Aust`n-they had 2 Aust born members and 1 NZ born member.They lived in Melbourne and recorded most of Woodface their...Dragon fit because they reinvented themselves when they came to Aust,changed from a horrible prog rock band to a great pop/rock band and made all their great albums here.The brilliant Flying Nun bands ,like the Chills,the Bats... weren`t eligible.I totally love those bands.But they are uniquely and singularly NZ acts.It would have been wrong for us to adopt them,but had we,at least 6 Flying Nun acts would have made our list"
Can`t say I agree with the Split Enz/Crowded trousers view. and the assertion Dragon made any great albums must have escaped me.
Everyone has an opinion
Look George,partridges

Offline stevenl

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 12:42:13 AM »
I'd also like to know how the hell The Avalanches are in the top 10???

Well, it is a great album. IMO obviously but seemingly an "O" that's shared with others.

But Eke, is it honestly one of the 10 best Australian albums ever released???
I know it's subjective but is it objective?

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 08:09:08 PM »
"Best" isn't an objective word. What criteria are you bringing to bear? Personally I can't listen to more than a minute or two of Woodface but I'm fine with a couple of journos and industry shakers voting it a "best" if it fits their definition.