Author Topic: Anniversary  (Read 17502 times)

Offline glee

• Administrator
Re: Anniversary
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »
So now it's a happy birthday to Dave. It feels a little odd to wish him well as if he were here but it feels right. Some new audio on the site. Paradise from Tape4 and a live Property from Seaview Ballroom 1985. How are you spending 17th February?

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2

Offline praxeas

• Andrew's Version
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
Strumming and humming "Too Hot to Move" here...
It is a far, far better thing that I do now, than that other thing I did before that didn't go very well at all.

Offline seb

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
Thanx Glee! The costar tracks were first of the rank for me today...doing a little February video sharing this afternoon ;)
I was in Melbourne for The Susans yesterday...thanx for a great show...think a pin could have dropped when Rob was singing 'Souls' ...beautiful x

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »
Happy birthday to Dave. It's a sunny winter morning here in Manchester. Not too cold to move. The sunlight is streaming and the coffee is steaming. A walk might be good, but I believe curtains are on the cards. Looking for some rather than drawing them....Thanks for the tunes.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline KrieB

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Well damn, yesterday-saturday evening I let the opportunity pass to go on a Triffids ramble (or to do the february missionary thing...) The question "what kind of music do you like?" must have been asked at least twice and I didn't get much more eloquent than "oooh, all sorts of..." ::) :-[ How the hell was that possible - normally nearly all music conversation i ramblingly participate in leads one way or the other to me bringing up the Triffids (N. Cave & M. Casey mostly always acting as the 'gobetweens' ::) ;D) Well happy birthday to David anyway!  :-[

The old Black Swan vinyl got a good spinning. When I want to pump up the volume it's the turntable that delivers the best service cause my CD playing facilities act a bit shitty for the moment or have to do it with lousy portable speakers that are nearly kaput.

Thanks Graham for all the pictures and music you've added. The Dalsy liner notes are quite something. I think i'm also about in for another viewing of "The Man Who Fell to Earth" (i have the dvd) The mentioning of this in the liner notes got me thinking about if this Bowie fondness might be detected in some Triffids songs.... Hmm, and which Triffids song might sound good in a Bowie version...
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Anniversary
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
It's been a very enjoyable day here. Most of the musical content has been of the baa baa black sheep variety, but no less magical for it. Being given orders by a two year old and either floor sitting or plastic trolley follow-the-leadering were the norm. I've got a lot from here to be thankful for! ;-)

Not wishing to sound like I'm stating the obvious, but I like Paradise. Do I detect a hint of a maxim of Marx in there? Getting on as I am I recognise the tensions the song captures. There's a bit of only onesishness to the sound I thought.

I like the web player streaming thing on the audio pages. It has enabled me to play quite a lot of Dave's stuff over the weekend with minimal effort. Some tracks seem to suddenly loop back to start mid-listen though. I assume that's a glitch in the software that might be ironed out with updates or whatever.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Anniversary
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that Jarvis Cocker played Raining Pleasure on his radio show this afternoon. I would have missed it but Lynsey switched the radio on at around the time and shouted me about it.

Offline praxeas

• Andrew's Version
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
Re Bowie influence, definitely KrieB. Dave (as far as I recall) listened to a lot of earlier stuff especially -  I do remember he wasn't impressed with Young Americans (I'll ignore Pin Ups) but then Low and Heroes got a lot of play. I think after that it was more hit and miss for him to say the least, even thought the Eno connection was part of what he liked about the last two, but Lodger...? Meh. I bought my first Bowie album, which I still have - Ziggy Stardust - after talking about Bowie with him. Oh - and The Man Who Fell to Earth was R-rated, we under 18s had to bluff their way in (four times, apparently). Heroes indeed...
It is a far, far better thing that I do now, than that other thing I did before that didn't go very well at all.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
OK there is a new song up in audio section, very special. Called Kneel So Low.  Also realised I had neglected to link via a menu to a whole category of audio files ie "David McComb". So there are probably others that you haven't heard in a bit. 
It's really too hot to move here by the way, apparently still 35 degrees and it's 11.17pm.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:57:58 PM by glee »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
Exceptional song. Seabirds, Ocean of You and this feel like a kind of trilogy. And definitely calentural (if that's grammatically possible). Is the "I'm the type who bears a grudge" a recycled element? I'm certainly familiar. I'm sure I've recycled that thought myself on occasion though not externally. Thanks also for linking up the other solo songs. You're right that Dave's songs remained at the highest level even when his continuing presence on the scene wasn't so easily felt. Listening to those gathered here tonight my impression is that his later work became a more difficult listening experience for the casual listener.....almost unfathomable at times. In a way that's unforgettable but not unlovable.

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
Listening to those gathered here tonight my impression is that his later work became a more difficult listening experience for the casual listener.....almost unfathomable at times. In a way that's unforgettable but not unlovable.
Nicely put, Paul.

Re: "bearing a grudge", I don't know why the first thing that comes to mind is the list of "girls I have loved". Should that seem weird to appear in the same sentence, or is that a common occurrence for men?
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
Steff, that is such a striking question I found myself at first wondering whether there was a full or half rhyme between the quoted phrases.

I don't suppose your question was directed at me, but I've found myself pondering it anyway.

My answer would be that I couldn't really comment meaningfully. It's a slightly negative exaggeration (all men are like butterflies to some extent), but you could count the number of girls I have loved on one knee!

When Leonard Cohen was accused in open interview of being a "Ladies Man", his response was something along the lines of "I've known ladies men and I'm not even in their league". I don't even know any ladies men!

Nick Cave's line in the song "Scum" was certainly written with a man in mind, although a woman suffered in collateral damage. My own occasions for ruminating on the phrase have almost certainly been exclusively in the context of men and work. Wouldn't it be ungentlemanly to think of a woman thusly?

PS On the subject of Leonard Cohen, I was struck when reviewing the "David McComb" audio index by the song called "Lullaby" on there. Leonard Cohen's latest album "Old Ideas" has a song called "Lullaby" on it too. That's probably only an odd coincidence when you consider another more obscure one within the lyrics of the more recent song. That's me, always tilting at windmills.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:42:32 PM by Urpal »

Offline milton

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
This one sounds very haunting to my ears.

Btw, listening to a Costar boot at the moment.

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
Ah, tilt away...

And thank you for your thoughts, even if I don't have a penny handy at the moment. Everybody likes to take a stab at guessing how deeply personal certain lyrics of David's were, but I'm certainly glad to have had my musings lead to a more generalised answer. Oddly, one thing I've always appreciated about David's writings is that he does so well showing the complexity of men, a notion that is all too often played down or dismissed in discussions (I got to this realisation in a rather roundabout manner, and it's a point that's been on my mind for a while, so nothing that just came over me to ponder).

If I weren't so envious, Milton, I'd ask if the boot sounds anything like "step on the stairs"... Tuesday humour, always a weird mood.
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »
It's strange but, on the Facebook page I recently posted a photo Dave took and that has received more attention than anything else that's been posted this month, including the new song.