Author Topic: Anniversary  (Read 17509 times)

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
Re: Anniversary
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
Oh, I don't know. I've seen the song reposted a few times on other people's pages, with commentary. I do agree that it's kind of random what people reply to and what they don't. I've enjoyed reading everyone's reminiscences, though.
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline seb

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
Apart from it being a very evocative shot, it seems to have struck a memory chord for a lot of people who visited Marine Parade late at night, in their happily mis-spent youth  :)

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
Not complaining just wondering. Reminiscence seems strong force and we should know I guess.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:42:07 PM by glee »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
Having no nostalgic connection with the subject of the photo, it strikes me as having an Edward Hopper feel to it. I'm sure I've said that about something else, possibly the same photo or maybe a different one, in the past. In which case, I still find that I'm reminiscing about a place I've never been!

PS It was a different photo:

http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php/topic,70.msg333.html#msg333

[Two other observations from the search exercise I've just undertaken to double check my statistics. The search function on the forum seems a bit ineffective unless you use the advanced function. And I seem to recall at some point making an observation in the past which was pertinent to LAMF's more recent thread on "Chinese Rock", but haven't been able to locate it by searching the forum in the past. It's possible that I imagined it or posted it somewhere else like the Leonard Cohen forum instead and only imagined planting it here. Anyway, I'll keep on tracking at some point (it's only of interest to me really to reassure myself on issues of continuing sanity/memory loss) unless anyone remembers it. It was a bit like a fortune cookie combining a misconceived notion of the Gramscian concept of hegemony and the rising economic star of China. How about that for a reminiscence/clue?! ;)]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:50:04 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:52 AM »
Getting back to the subject, I find it surprising from my facebook experience that people often seem more interested in pictures generally than words, thoughts, sound or motion. Maybe it's the immediacy of an image in these fast moving times? Or the reassurance of the possibility of stillness which a frozen image brings?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:35:20 AM by Urpal »

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »
OK there is a new song up in audio section, very special. Called Kneel So Low. 

Thanks Graham - this site is like the gift that never stops giving. Just when I thought I had heard it all, here this comes along. It is so good. Thank you! Moved me more than I would want to admit.
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
OK there is a new song up in audio section, very special. Called Kneel So Low. 

Thanks Graham - this site is like the gift that never stops giving. Just when I thought I had heard it all, here this comes along. It is so good. Thank you! Moved me more than I would want to admit.

In fact, listening to the whole playlist under the David McComb section I need to say 2 things:

1. You are a gent.
2. When is the David McComb box set coming out? :)
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »
Upon further thought I think while February will always be a focus month we should all try to keep things churning along the whole year round. So from this end I'll keep going on new things for the forums, Facebook page, and thetriffids.com in general. Whatever you all can do to spread the word is valuable. I'm sure there are members of the forums or your friends who understand better how to shift up a gear on Facebook for example.. Maybe just a concerted effort from us all in the absence of any immediate Triffids live activities is what's called for. We aren't getting any younger.
So... February all year round?
Of course there are going to be more shows, commercial releases etc but there's a lot that can be done apart from that.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »
There's a good sounding costar track, Everything Fixed Is Killed up on the Audio page over at thetriffids.com
still spine-tinglingly great after all these years.
Sound slightly beefed up.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:45:05 PM by glee »

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:53 AM »
Add 11 more months to a Triffids/David celebration? Dear Mr Lee, didn't you just mention we're not getting any younger?!  :o
All kidding aside, I'll be glad to (re-)educate whoever is careless enough to come within listening distance. Certainly well-deserved, hard-earned, if a tad belated, laurels to be handed out.

As always, thank you for all the awesomeness which you keep bestowing upon us. Secondly, thanks oodles to all you other "old buggers" out there who can share insights, remembrances, witticisms and general depth and direction. It is appreciated. Here's to a triffantastic year!

A Dav-oted fan (urks, couldn't resist. Sorry!) 8)
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
Wow. Thanks and compliments of the continuing season to you and Julian.

I haven't heard this costar version of Everything Fixed before - I've heard the Red Ponies session version of it obviously. I've also heard a number of bootleg versions of other costar recordings (three or four songs from memory and all fine too), but didn't realise there was more down in the dungeon.

Haven't listened to the whole of the new audio yet (still at work) but a partial listen suggests it holds up well against any version before or since. Looking forward to a proper listen later.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:26:24 AM by Urpal »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 04:08:04 AM »

February makes you shiver, in the North at least......

It must be a cuspish month on the North/South Spring/Autumn axis.

I'll take 12 months of spring any day of the week...but Autumn's a special time too (and the location in which, for many, our "old bugger" years find us)

Offline milton

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »
Thank for another track Glee :)

I'll be hitting Austin, TX in a week and half to catch Alejandro Escovedo's unofficial yearly SXSW closing shows and I will be wearing my Triffids T-Shirt around Austin as much as possible to spread the word!

Anyone else going to SXSW this year by any chance?

Offline mark t

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
Upon further thought I think while February will always be a focus month we should all try to keep things churning along the whole year round. So from this end I'll keep going on new things for the forums, Facebook page, and thetriffids.com in general. Whatever you all can do to spread the word is valuable. I'm sure there are members of the forums or your friends who understand better how to shift up a gear on Facebook for example.. Maybe just a concerted effort from us all in the absence of any immediate Triffids live activities is what's called for. We aren't getting any younger.
Of course there are going to be more shows, commercial releases etc but there's a lot that can be done apart from that.

Glee,

it's six years after the first re-issue and my local JB Hi Fi (in  a medium sized bogan town) has a Triffids section, it's permanent and always well stocked. I don't know how many sales this amounts to, but it does mean that your average punter is aware of at least a few Triffids songs and that when he/she wants to buy a CD they can. I wouldn't have expected this ten years ago when the re-issues were mooted, I wouldn't have expected it six years ago either.

I'l probably always enjoy a gig and any newly found audio (especially a new song) and I'll spread the word where I can. But I the way I see it, this is measure that our work (and in particular your work) is fundamentally done, and successfully at that.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
Thanks Mark. The elephant stamp rears its head again.
For me it's a promise I made without thinking I'd ever have to carry it out.