Author Topic: Anniversary  (Read 17515 times)

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
Re: Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:15 AM »
Which version of Devil Please is being referenced? Will sometimes sang it live I think but I could be wrong. Will sang some songs I costar but Dave was main vocalist.

The version from the Windsoe Demos, not the version posted on the audio page here - which is also very fine. It is definitely Dave singing - on all of the tracks:

I Kept My Eye On You   Costar   The Windsor Demos         4:02
Murder In The Dark      Costar   The Windsor Demos         5:00
Lucky For Some      Costar   The Windsor Demos         4:04
Everything Fixed Is Killed   Costar   The Windsor Demos         7:23
Devil Please      Costar   The Windsor Demos         3:43
The Good Life Never Ends   Costar   The Windsor Demos         3:08
Lucky For Some #2      Costar   The Windsor Demos         5:24

Cheers  :)
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline mark t

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »
Sounds like a mammoth listening session. I'm impressed with the completist nature of some choices. Standard Country - that's hardcore.

even for an (occasional) Standard patron  :)

Offline son of albert

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:04 AM »
Sounds like a mammoth listening session. I'm impressed with the completist nature of some choices. Standard Country - that's hardcore.

even for an (occasional) Standard patron  :)

Me too. Like - once!

And here are the PV's in action....

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
Eindhoven show is up in its entirety now. Looking around for other things to share with you.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »
That's pretty generous already...and I've only partly listened to the "Lonesome Hobo" opener so far!
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 03:15:23 AM »
Thank you. Thank you, and THANK you!
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
Excellent to hear a good quality recording of the 1985 Euro tour setlist that originally got me hooked - I think SP might have made the list as well at my first show, but otherwise this is a real nostalgia fest. Can't Help is as I remember it - great vocal performance and a swish band. Your steel guitar sounds pretty good on this recording too, Graham, for a beginner ;-) In a perfect world, since being there is no longer an option, I'd like to hear this in 5.1 surround sound through some bass heavy speakers. But this'll do for now. Cheers!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »
I meant to also say that Chicken Killer sounds surprisingly killer.

Offline son of albert

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:28 AM »
Thanks Glee - great show, great sound too. You definitely add something Graham as Urpal says. And Marty FUCKEN ROCKS!

One question - can you still download the songs or do they have to be streamed?

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:48 AM »
Thanks Glee - great show, great sound too. You definitely add something Graham as Urpal says. And Marty FUCKEN ROCKS!

One question - can you still download the songs or do they have to be streamed?

Well, I downloaded them. Save what you can and all that... hope that didn't lead me to a life of crime... ::)
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline KrieB

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 04:26:41 AM »
Thank you very much Graham (and Carlos Van Hijfte for recording and treasuring this Eindhoven show)
Really a pleasure to hear always more different versions of the songs (be it little detailed or bigger shifting differences) Is that a pleasure of the long(er) life of things? - maybe - but also just the pleasure of encountering small details... And on the other hand, who ran into the Triffids this way for a first time definitely hadn't a chance but to surrender, what an immediate impact!
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 04:55:27 AM »
On the subject of WOR, have others noticed that Django Django's almost Mercury Prize winning album features a song going by those initials? It bears little resemblance to Wide Open Road of course but might be described as Triffidesque in the One Mechanic part of Town.

The answer to my question about whether the title of Django Django's new single "Wor" bears any relationship to the shortening of "Wide Open Road" to WOR which has become a form of shorthand on this forum was coincidentally answered in a Q&A between Mark Radcliffe and some Djangoists on Radcliffe's BBC6Music radio show last Friday afternoon. Apparently nothing, nothing apparently. I guess the internet creates a tendency through information overload on which our minds seek to impose order to sometimes create mirages of speculative connections where there are none. I think Nick Cave probably covers that subject somewhere on his new record?

Meanwhile, back on boogie street, I went to see Django Django live last Friday, and, spurred on by Graham's appeal for fans to make this a time to maybe help in your own small way introduce new potential fans to The Triffids legacy, I went to the show in a Triffids T-shirt (the Marty windblown tree design). The show was an NME Awards line-up of projected "upcoming acts" of the moment (Peace, Palma Violets, Miles Kane & Django Django), so the general profile of the audience made me feel something of a lone shark swimming in a sea of minnows.

Interestingly, and perhaps reassuringly, I noticed that quite a lot of the teens and twenty somethings around me wore T-shirts of loyalty to brands of yesteryear (specifically I saw a young girl in a Joy Division shirt and a young lad in a Smiths one). So, my fashion statement may not have been bang up to the minute but the much younger company I was keeping were, at least taste wise, still effectively occupying my past with me (perhaps in a more parochial and harder sold space).

Anyway, just before Django Django came on, I found myself passing the time chatting to a pleasant lass in the audience who had first caught my attention by dragging me into a mobile "family reunion" pic taken by her brother and in which she was posing with her sister. She asked about The Triffids and said she'd look them up. In turn, she recommended I check out the band Postal Service, which I'll do as I see that they are being featured on 6Music due to the reunion tour she was telling me about. I can't say whether or not she'll look up The Triffids, but the photograph might at least jog her memory next time she is flipping pics.

On the subject of BBC6Music and random connectology, I also spotted Marc Riley in the Django Django audience and he played Johnny Cash's Wide Open Road on his radio show t'other night. I thought Cash's song was pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:05:04 AM by Urpal »

Offline genkboy

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Thanks very much, Graham. This is a show from the period I "discovered" The Triffds (Field of glass, Raining pleasure and Treeless plain were on heavy rotation).
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »
There are some new photos up in the "Triffids in the 80s" section.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
Thanks Glee. Great pics. Interesting to see the whole of the photo from which the ASITSOAS shows poster was extracted.

I'm left wondering what the song "Rock'n'Roll Accountancy" was like? Pretty shambolic if its name is anything to go by!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:27:17 AM by Urpal »