Author Topic: Anniversary  (Read 17482 times)

Offline Kieren

Anniversary
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
We all know its a sad day to remember but I'm raising a glass in his honour.

Offline glee

• Administrator
Re: Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »
It all happens in Feb. I spent most of today talking to National Film and Sound Archive mostly about Dave. A lengthy interview. Coincidental that today was the day but good to attempt to dredge up memories. February's other anniversary is the one most people prefer to mark I guess.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »
It rolls around again. Feb is Dave's month. It's good that it prods me to find some time to search for meaningful things to share with you all. Coming soon. And nice to speak with instigator of this particular topic yesterday to our our mutual benefit.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk 2

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
It rolls around again. Feb is Dave's month. It's good that it prods me to find some time to search for meaningful things to share with you all. Coming soon.

Can't wait to see (or hear). Thanks for doing all this, glee. I know you've got your hands plenty full with other stuff.
No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Me too. Great excuse to put the itunes Triffids related playlist on random as the soundtrack of the day - 577 songs from solo to Susans, Triffids to Costar & Red Ponies.

"The outskirts of love" indeed. Cheers everyone!
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline son of albert

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:19 AM »
After 104 songs on shuffle, now switched to vinyl. "Love in Bright Landscapes" hangs together well after all these years....now playing "The Message" which is miles better than I remembered (always loved the b-side) and I have now played it three times in a row......

Glee - I note that the a and b side versions are "KSDS" mixes. Who ias KSDS? And are there any "straight" versions? Was more recorded and not released? Who played on the sessions?

Ta :)

Offline son of albert

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:20:56 AM »
....and further into vinyl ephemera, the different single mix of Holy Water......Willie the Torch/I Don't Need You is actually rather fine in its own way.....now off on a tangent with the Glee starring Paradise Vendors and Standard Country Vol 1  8)

Offline son of albert

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
......and fell asleep to Devil Please from the final Costar sessions. Perfect end to a day of only listening to Dave/Triffids related music. Hopefully one day the sessions will be mixed down properly and released. Your next challenge Glee?

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »
Sounds like a mammoth listening session. I'm impressed with the completist nature of some choices. Standard Country - that's hardcore.

Offline KrieB

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »
(Triple elephant stamp to Sonofa?)

It rolls around again. Feb is Dave's month. It's good that it prods me to find some time to search for meaningful things to share with you all. Coming soon.

It's like a bit seasonal - with that curiosity of reversing dates - first passing then birthday...
The distance / thickness of time that can all of a sudden become again acutely thin-frail, the difference of real life and 'paper-life'... It's always mixed to opposite situations and emotions... like listening in weeping willow mode to the DMcC-catalogue and then 'making the mistake'  :) of switching to the 'early tapes' and consequently not being able to keep up the weeping willow face... No a persistent grin and hurting cheeks all on account of  "take us to your leader - tell her that we need her - we all got the fever" prrrhaha!

Very convinced Glee is still sitting like a mother goose on a treasure-trove of little and big things that'll do a bit pang and a lot of marvel.
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline KrieB

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »
Oh damn, my post above seems yet another attempt at trying to put something in between words while that something isn't even a clear thought etc.

I was going through the beautiful waste poetry volume today, just because I wanted to (though maybe also to find a sort of fitting quote to post as a thankyou on Luc Janssen’s radiopage-show - but that won't work)

Amongst them little things out of the Glee treasure-trove that I really like are those pictures on the facebook site, of a young David and family, like the one “plundering the ocean” Wasn't it his older brother calling him (and his mum?) ‘beachcombers’ (on occasion of the Sydney or Perth festival shows?) Well the idea of ‘sand to sand’ and ‘back to the sea’ as expressed in a couple of the poems is really existentially meaningful  and beautiful without frills.

If I had to pick one favorite for right now (favorite yes, but without being totally sure about all of its meaning :) …), expressing ‘fleeing’, uncatchable things and their purpose of existence it would be ‘The driest tastes, the smallest details

The driest tastes, the smallest details,
All that escapes mention in the night
Escapes care;
Flees from well-meaning clutches of compassion
And from effusive vessels
Which collide randomly in mid-air.
These dark, fugitive things
Gather in silt.
Some smile weakly and wilt.
A few burn
Their combustion dazzling, black and complete;
But invisible to reason,
For what knows reason
Of such an icy heat?

Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
After 104 songs on shuffle, now switched to vinyl. "Love in Bright Landscapes" hangs together well after all these years....now playing "The Message" which is miles better than I remembered (always loved the b-side) and I have now played it three times in a row......

Glee - I note that the a and b side versions are "KSDS" mixes. Who ias KSDS? And are there any "straight" versions? Was more recorded and not released? Who played on the sessions?

Ta :)

Uh-hum, I'll second this line of questioning. Inquiring minds want to know... also, I seem to dimly remember that in a costar interview, David indicated that Will Akers did most of the vocals, so is he also singing "Devil Please"?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:55:49 PM by steffitee »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
I think mostly Dave and Stephen Street playing and programming. I don't know much about The Message I'm afraid. Which version of Devil Please is being referenced? Will sometimes sang it live I think but I could be wrong. Will sang some songs I costar but Dave was main vocalist.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:20:51 PM by glee »

Offline steffitee

• The Better Life
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »
I just realised that I actually asked two questions in one. Naturally, that would've made very little sense, but oddly enough, the answer does. I should've realised then that this was the onset of the flu-like whatnot that's currently got me sofa-bound, so I apologise for being a disorganised doofus and retreat to my cuppa... here's to a speedy recovery of my mental faculties.  :-[

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 11:48:37 PM »
That's ok.
There are a few more songs up on thetriffids.com from the Eindhoven 85 show.