Author Topic: Perth, Red Hill auditorium, Dec 4th, 2011  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Mark_from_Perth

Perth, Red Hill auditorium, Dec 4th, 2011
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »
A warm summer evening in the Perth Hills, not too far from home for me...

Line-up, Ed Kuepper, The Triffids and Friends, The Church...

I'm seriously interested in what the band may have thought of this show...

The venue, a first time for me here...purpose built stage and limestone "amphitheatre style" seating - a bit hard on the backside when seated, but nice and safe to walk around. I love outdoor shows like this in Perth.

A gorgeous red sunset as I drove in, then greeted by the tunes of Mr Kuepper, an enjoyable set, I love this man's music (Mark Dawson on drums)

Then front and centre for our favorite band. We got BSD...and then some, Beautiful Waste, Hell of a Summer, Trick of The Light, Raining Pleasure, (I'll insert the ones I've forgotten later), In The Pines and lastly Save What You Can..now I'm struggling....during the BSD set Rob McComb said "enjoy, we probably won't be doing this again"....[correct me anyone]

So there it was "Save What You Can"...bittersweet words on this occasion, I've saved what I can in my head, focussed on as much as I could. All the friends joined the Triffids for this song. I can't believe I forgot my camera for the second time in a week, so sorry folks no photos, for possibly the last performance, kicking myself sooo hard.

The Church played a great show...spotted a Triffid and a few friends watching.

Offline brett

Re: Perth, Red Hill auditorium, Dec 4th, 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
What a night! Sir Edmund and Mr Dawson were fantastic in the sunset slot, there's very something special about those two playing together in acoustic mode. The Triffids were quite simply brilliant. In fact we left after their set as although I love the Church there was no chance they would top the BSD performance...

We got BSD...and then some, Beautiful Waste, Hell of a Summer, Trick of The Light, Raining Pleasure, (I'll insert the ones I've forgotten later), In The Pines and lastly Save What You Can

Red Pony was in there too...

during the BSD set Rob McComb said "enjoy, we probably won't be doing this again"....[correct me anyone]

I was hoping that comment was in reference to playing Sydney on Saturday, then Perth the day after.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
It's just a fact that whenever we do these shows we don't know if we will play together again. We rely on so many things being in the right alignment. People's availability, the good health of us all, being able to find great venues for a 2 week run that will bring in enough money to make it feasible. We took 23 people to Powerhouse and Queenscliff, 16 to Homebake and Red Hill. We run a ridiculously extravagant show in the context of what we're doing.  We don't have high flying management, a team of logistical staff, hordes of roadies, it's just us and our friends and it's very difficult to get it together and take it around the country. Every time we've done it I've thought several times... never again... but then you do a show like that Red Hill one and do the songs and Dave proud and you begin to change your mind. It's never taken for granted that we will play again so people play each show as if it was the last show they will ever play.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:12:06 PM by glee »

Offline seb

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »
The weather was perfect and the views superb.
Ed Kuepper & Mark Dawson made a whole lot of beautiful music.
Triffids and Friends thankyou for an amazing set. I didn't get to see any of the 2008 shows so, for me, it was the first time I'd had the joyful pleasure of seeing and hearing the Triffids since August 1989. It always was about both the wonderful songs and the amazing band members  who played them with passion and fun :)
'Stolen Property', 'Raining Pleasure' and 'Save What You Can' were breathtaking :)
(Have to say Simon Breed's singing and stage presence were stunning; a perfect fit for the songs)
J x

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
Thanks glee, that was just the answer I was hoping to hear! My heartfelt thanks to everyone involved....once again.
Looking forward to the next time around then!

I can't belive I forgot to mention Red Pony...

Offline kate

• waxlyrical
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
Hey Graham - thanks so much for a great night at Red Hill!  I've finally been able to see you guys play live (only other time was at the Navy Club in Freo, so not really a proper gig). 

I filmed most of the show, albiet on my phone, the first few tracks from just in front of the sound desk (and missed half of Life of Crime and Chicken Killer, coz my phone battery died).  The rest on my husband's phone right in front of the stage - shame is the bass blows out on the phone speakers so I'll try fix that before uploading.

I'm uploading these to YouTube (slooooooooowly) and will share the link when I'm done.  A bit shaky for the first videos until I worked out a way to hold the phone steady while dancing :) 

Who were the singers (apart from Rob Snarsky)?

Absolutely loved the gig - the Church were just a wall of noise in comparison (great musos but they could have done more classics given it was a night of nostalgia).

And what is it about just hearing those songs live, feeling the music right through me, and wanting to burst into tears... they've been there for so many emotional parts of my life...  :'(

Offline kate

• waxlyrical
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:11:28 AM »
First video is up, the whacky intro and The Seabirds:

http://youtu.be/lcbkyIQIn7M

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
Thanks Kate.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
Yes, many thanks from me too Kate...forgetting my camera really had me kicking myself, I'm so glad you recorded it. Please keep 'em coming. Did you get any photos of the venue before dark, or of that gorgeous sunset?

In hindsight it would have been a nice idea to have gathered any willing forum members together, can't believe I didn't think of it, after all I contacted a couple of guys in Melbourne for Queenscliff...oh well, next time!!