Author Topic: Queenscliff Festival  (Read 4199 times)

Offline glee

• Administrator
Queenscliff Festival
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
The Triffids play at Queenscliff Festival on Saturday 26th November, 2011. This will be the full show with a wide range of guests including Mick Harvey, Alexander Gow individually and with his Oh Mercy cohorts, Rob Snarski, The Blackeyed Susans, Bruce Haymes, Simon Breed. More bulletins on this show in the coming weeks and months. We will play the entire Born Sandy Devotional album in a special presentation never performed before.

Offline glee

• Administrator
Re: Queenscliff Festival
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
The Queenscliff show was one of the best we've done I think. Personally I had a terrible lead in to the show involving drenched family and loss of bearings. But when the frantic half hour setup was done and Oh Mercy started playing I knew it was going to be special. It went by in a flash. Alex Gow was on fire, Mick Harvey did beautiful versions especially The Seabirds at the beginning of the BSD bit. Simon was towering in all respects, Rob Snarski and the Susans did Dave proud. A great show. Pity about the weather.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk

Offline mark t

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
Agreed Graham, thanks and congratulations to all concerned, it even sounded pretty good. Alex and Rob doing a duet was a nice touch.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:19 AM »
Not really in a good position to add any depth to Graham's or Mark's comments about the gig since I was a tad busy during the Triffids set, but I can say this: I saw some of the rehearsals earlier in the week, and if they were anything to go by then I haven't got even the slightest reason to doubt Graham's judgment. Heard very favourable reports from everyone I spoke to, including some fellow Triffids fans of very long standing. Also saw and heard enough of Simon Breed during the course of the week to know that Graham is spot on there, too.

I had the time to enjoy the Susan's set on Sunday afternoon, though, and they were in truly brilliant form. That was obvious even as I was walking along the Esplanade towards the venue. I'm still somewhat perplexed as to why Rob Snarski's voice hasn't been declared a national treasure.

Think I'm right in saying that Jill, Alsy, Graham, Simon, Mick Harvey, JP Shilo and Rosie Westbrook were all involved in a gig at the Tote on Wednesday night. More on that from Mark T or LAMF, I hope.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline mark t

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
missed it (Simon Breed) gazza, wednesday came round too fast

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
...and while I'm in a posting mood....

This really was great performance, especially under the less than ideal conditions. The first time to hear BSD played live in its entirety was something to savour for sure. The general feeling around me was of appreciation and enjoyment, people singing along, smiling, dancing. And all over so soon (well  two and a half hours too soon). Had the pleasure of catching up with markt, and also an old friend from my university years, a fellowTriffids fan, had a great time catching up after, say, 25yrs.

On Sunday it was an additonal pleasure to meet gazza finally! and catch the APRA Q&A with Graham, Alsy and Phil K, and also to see Mick Harvey deliver a cracker performance, Simon Breed gave an interestingly amusing show, then David Bridie (long time fan never seen him live before)...then off the the airport to fly home..all over waayyy too quickly!

Offline manicpopthrills

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
It still makes me happy that these shows happen even though my chances of getting to an Australian show are zero.

Part of that is down to the hope that, at some point the stars might just align for a European venture. I'm not holding my breath, mind, but stranger things have happened. After all, I saw Grant Hart play in Scotland last week and I would have bet money on the Triffids being more likely to come back to Europe than Grant to play Scotland, even though the Triffids are many and Grant is just one!

Offline BriBri

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
I like some of these photos....

http://www.messandnoise.com/galleries/4384463

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
Thanks BriBri. Some good pics there - at least if you're not one of the subjects before the lens.

Just discovered this link to a Susans' radio performance of some McComb songs which is related to this event too:

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/telegraph/content/2011/s3374135.htm?site=melbourne
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
As the photographer has pointed out modern high resolution digital cameras can be unforgiving..

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk