Author Topic: Powerhouse, Brisbane  (Read 3956 times)

Offline glee

• Administrator
Powerhouse, Brisbane
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »
The Triffids play at the Powerhouse in Brisbane. This will be full show, 120 minutes plus and will feature many special guests including Mick Harvey, Simon Breed, Rob Snarski, The Blackeyed Susans, Oh Mercy (and Alexander Gow from that band individually). More details as we get closer. Tickets on sale now.

Offline KrieB

Re: Powerhouse, Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
And there they go again.  :)

Been checking the facebook updates and I thought that with the concerts of 2006 & 2010 in Hasselt I had had my first aid-dose of Triffids songs live and would be able to do from there on with CD - DVD etc...
But hola, when i saw that sketchy rehearsal of Estuary Bed I got all shook up again and very aware of missing out...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:34:23 AM by KrieB »
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Colt

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »
Last night the show at the Powerhouse was just brilliant. Three hours, with everyone in good humour, covering Dave's oevre from Reverie/Spanish Blue (Oh Mercy) to later stuff from Love of Will and Costar. The Blackeyed Susans also did a small set including All Souls Alive and Ocean of You. For me it was great to hear so much from Rob Snarski, but Simon Breed was also a revelation. In fact the highlights of the night for me were Simon singing towering versions of Lonely Stretch and Stolen Property. I sat next to a guy who was not familiar with the Triffids music, but who came because he used to play with Graham years ago in Brisbane - he couldn't believe how many great songs came off just one album (BSD- which was played in its entirity in order). We also had cameos from Brisbane drummer Mark Dawson (he of Ed Kuepper fame) + Alsy played guitar on one or two tracks, a talent he has kept hidden all these years.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »
as I was driving home on thursday night I started working through a setlist of alternate Dave songs I would have liked to have heard at the show.It ended up being much longer than the 3 odd hours the show lasted.You just can`t please some people. :)
The powerhouse isn`t a big venue but it was more or less filled and the punters seemed appreciative.Even my wife,who has a notoriously short concentration span when it comes to the Triffids, came out raving.
The show had a slightly different feel to the Sydney shows,even though the structure was more or less the same.In retrospect the Sydney shows felt a bit like a group thereapy session for the band,friends and fans alike.
Although the focus remains firmly on Dave,it seems,with the passing of time, to be more about the songs and with less focus on the man.I suppose time will do that.Rob Snarski can now get through The good Life without becoming overwrought
The biggest improvement over Sydney was in Simon Breed.Although Steve Kilbey undoubtedly added to the crowd numbers,Breed has a voice to do the big songs justice and the same sort of awkward,yet compelling stage  presence of Dave.
I`ve said here before that Lonely Stretch is my favourite triffids song.To here that rumble out live again with the band providing all the colour and texture that it paints and with someone capable of inhabiting the vocal passion required is one of those life affirming moments that are perhaps not as frequent as they were in your 20`s
The only surprise of the night was a very humble Marko Halstead doing Bury me Deep.He has the voice but perhaps not the flexibility to really nail that one.
Alex Gow is an engaging kid.One of the benefits of this sort of show is that it works both ways,generationally.I found a bit in the Youth Group material that I liked after Sydney and I`ll check out what Oh Mercy have to offer over the next few months.He was capable of doing justice to the material and seemed comfortable in the surrounds
The show had a few ragged elements,understandable when the cobwebs are being dusted off.But overall the playing was excellent .Not being a musician,it amazes me that they can just get together and bring it back to that point so quickly.The smaller number of people involved probably works for them in that respect.JP Shilo and Mick Harvey were on stage most of the night.
The night was filmed and the venue was warning people off using their Iphones.Whats going on there glee?
Thoroughly recommended.
Look George,partridges

Offline birdman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »
Powerhouse show was brilliant. Sound was clear and powerful and the audience was very appreciative. Like so many others it was pure magic to hear those songs played live once again. Too many highlights to list but I had never heard The Good Life before and since the concert I can't stop playing the song. The saddest moment was at the end of In the Pines-why? Because it was the last song of the night. Mick Harvey was fantastic too.

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
Sounds great.....you lucky people. Reminds me how wonderful the Barbican shows were....I attended those with my friend Neil who had never heard a single song. He loved the whole three hours.
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »
The Powerhouse show was a slightly edgy one full of nervous energy as I had expected. Every performer did their best to bring the songs alive. I loved the theatre venue and Chris Ridgway on sound deserves special mention. His first gig with us and from all reports he delivered crystal clear sound from a quite complex instrumental set up. A very warm and responsive audience. Unfortunately the house lights went on just when Simon Breed was about to go on and sing the song he wrote about Dave. He got to do it in his solo gig at Queenscliff. We'll make sure you get to hear this song at the earliest opportunity.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk

Offline geoffm

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
http://stripedsunlight.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-12-20T23:24:00-08:00&max-results=10
some photos and review of the Powerhouse show as well as some rare downloads and a bit of a preview of the book
Also a short bio On Mark Halstead and some very early video footage of him.
If you also go to the current home page on this site there is some sound of the powerhouse show to download and some stuff their on BES.
always an interesting site
Look George,partridges