Author Topic: A Secret in the Shape of a Song - Athens - Gagarin 205  (Read 5369 times)

Offline KrieB

A Secret in the Shape of a Song - Athens - Gagarin 205
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »

It's on in about 12 hours! Is this the gig of the current tour that you can call 'the most wide open' in terms of expectations?

All thumbs up!! :) (or fingers crossed or whatever it is you do in enthusiastic well-wishing anticipation :)) + very curious to hear all details about it soon.

Some of the other topics that give an impression of the fanbase in Ελλάδα / Ελλάς:

To Greece (again)!!!
Live in Athens (Rodon Club 1987)
Athens, Greece in the mid '80's

Go Triffids! Go Yuri!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:28:19 AM by KrieB »
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: A Secret in the Shape of a Song - Athens - Gagarin 205
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »
"Break a leg" is probably not the right expression under the circumstances (with HSM and Chris Abrahams both taking tumbles and injuring themselves on this tour), but certainly wishing you well for tonight's show.

Who has made the final straight of this Olympian journey, I wonder?
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline butterfly_into_worm

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:33:34 PM »
Well I'm too touched with emotion, to comment on anything particular right now. Excellent, excellent show! So many astonishing songs connected to so many moments of my life... 3 hours show, and I didn't even realised it.

It was a night that made laugh with amything that has to do with time, in general. The previous bands, the Jaywalkers and the Yeah! were also reformed just for this night! The Yeah! had opened for Triffids in 1987, at their first time in Athens.  I could see a number of 40-year old guys who looked totally shocked with this time-games.. :)

The playlist looked like the one at the Barbican. The show looked like no other concert i've seen in my life. I couldn't ever imagine that I'd sometime feel more grateful, more inspired by Mr Mc Comb than I always did..well I do right now.

I want to conquer you was a fantastic moment. Wide open road by Mick, too. Not all musicians managed to come to the show due to the flights problems in europe, but everyone did his best.

I'll come back sometime to come up with a couple of details, for now I just feel I want to thank everyone who was responsible for the last night. From the guy who introduced me to the Triffids many years ago, to the one who was dancing next to me during Goodbye little boy.

Offline deadjoe

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:20 PM »
Thanks for those, DJ. Did Marty not have his regular bass guitar with him for the Athens show or was he raod testing a new one? It may be a trick of the light, but the bass on that ITP video looks to have a black body and be relatively new and unbattleworn looking.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:11:05 PM by Urpal »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
We had to hire a bass for Marty and couldn't get a sunburst for him. It was good though.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
It looks good and sounds it from the video, although Marty and a shiny new bass seem a bit visually incongruous :)

Seeing JP Shilo singing reminds me of the fact that he was let loose to sing a tune during the encores at Hasselt, nominally as a birthday treat. He performed "Enemy Mine" from the BES' Some Births Are Worse Than Murder EP. A rare treat it was too. Certainly reminded you of the strengths of that song. KrieB was particularly impressed by JP's demonstration of how to "Evil Eye" the audience during the song, as was I. You certainly believed there was an appropriate level of menace to match the lyrics of the song.

Also seeing JP singing at Athens reminds me for some reason of Harrald's performance of Property Is Condemned at Hasselt. I guess that JP and Harald must have a similar profile and singing voice. Hats off to Harald, by the way, for his performance at the sound desk for both Hasselt shows I attended. He seems to have a gift for getting the blend right.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:16:20 PM by Urpal »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
Yes, that was my birthday present to JP. I kissed him on the cheek and said go and sing us a song. I came out in the audience to watch and caught the evil eye.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »
Did "Evil" in effect request that JP should cast a wicked spell over the Hasselt audience then?

There's clearly black magic afoot here :)

On the subject of kissing, did lonesome complete his collection in the end? He'd certainly worked his way past Alsy last time I looked. I think we deserve to know the sequence and circumstances of his passing. Lonesome?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:21:44 PM by Urpal »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
At Gagarin 205 there was a special request from someone for Bright Lights Big City so, having heard the Enemy Mine performance it was deduced that JP could probably make a good go at it in the absence of Mark Snarski. He felt ok about Life Of Crime but wasn't very familiar with BLBC. He was very diligent about it, was never spotted without iPod for two days as he rehearsed in his head. Did a great job I thought.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »
Here is JP Shilo in a different, but no less enigmatic, context:

Rowland S. Howard - Autoluminescent

If you follow the Youtube link the whole of this performance is available to view and the context becomes clearer. An unusual piece of fixed shot film and strangely haunting.

JP did something similar, but more low key, at the Hasselt Sunday night special.

If you like the sound of this, I'd recommend his solo album.