Author Topic: Perth, England, Sydney  (Read 1562 times)

Offline TwistedBrain

Perth, England, Sydney
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:30 PM »
Here are the Triffids shows I remember seeing. Still have posters or tickets for most of them. All great!

1981-83
Several shows at pubs in Perth, like the Broadway Tavern and The Cat.
I first saw them at the Cat and thought they were great. I loved Robert's violin playing, it made them seem very different to the other bands of the time.
I bought the wonderful Dungeon Tape after one show.

Dingwalls, London (w/ The Wooden Tops)
Tue 4 Dec 1984
Had a pleasant chat with David McComb before the show. Requested Twisted Brain but he said they didn't play it any more. He was joking that people back in Oz thought it was great that they were playing shows in London but Dingwalls was just as small as the places they used to play in Perth.

Clarendon Hotel, Hammersmith, London
Fri 20 Sep, 1985

London, ICA
April 26, 1987
In the Pines album, slideshow of photos (by Bleddyn Butcher) of the WA outback gave it a very interesting ambience. I was very pleased to hear "Too Hot To Move, Too Hot to Think". That song, and "Wide Open Road", and the pictures behind them of the outback, transported us away from the cold London evening.
I think this may have been the first time I'd seen Evil Graham Lee play for the Triffids and I loved his steel guitar, and Jill Birt shyly singing her beautiful vocal tracks.

Glastonbury Festival
20 June 1987
Lots of mud, but a great time - got a few photos of this show.

Brighton Pavilion Theatre,
Wed 21 Oct 1987

Paddington RSL - "Farewell Concert"
Friday July 1, 1988

Dominion Theatre, London  (w/ Hunters and Collectors as support)
Thur Sept 1, 1988
A searing cover of The Velvet Underground's "What Goes On", for an encore I think. David was strumming so fast he had to shake his arms a bit to revive them after the song.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Perth, England, Sydney
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »
Hi Twisted. It looks like you covered pretty well the whole spectrum of The Triffids career there (with the exception of that gig at the PLC :))

What was your favourite of those gigs, or the one that has left most impression if that's easier to pin down?

Did you get to see any Dave post-Triffids gigs (BES,RPs, costar)? I ask because I've been listening to a recording of costar at the Cherry Tree again over the last week or two but have an experiential blank there myself whilst wishing I hadn't.  
We all have our croissants to bear