Author Topic: Triffids at PLC School Dance  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
Triffids at PLC School Dance
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
I was sorting out some stuff and came across this.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Triffids at PLC School Dance
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:34 PM »
That Presbyterian Ladies College is the one that's been suggested as the possible cavalry to step in and save the Cliffe isn't it? If I understand the interplay between a 1915 auction poster and a modern google map correctly then the college and the local church are about the only buildings in Peppermint Grove which existed in that locale when the Cliffe was built in the 1890s*. Looking at that dance invitation it appears to date from around the same era  ;)

*actually on double checking the college appears not to have existed in 1915, but the adjoining RC church on Stirling Highway did. Must be a-mighty god fearin' round dem parts :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:57:31 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
Wow...could have done with that when doing  art work for the box set. Might not be too late...do you have good scan of it?

Offline Gazza

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »
That is a bit of a find. Can't say I've ever done so myself, but it's exactly why it's a good idea to keep ticket stubs you never know when someone might want it for the artwork on a 10-CD boxset!

On the subject of PLC, I knew someone who went there in the mid-90s, and she would occasionally recount apocryphal stories of the rock star who used to live next door. Quite certain they were more closely related to the fantasies of the teenage mind, filtered through a very long game of Chinese whispers and the stereotypical image of rock and roll, than they were to even an approximate truth. Motley Crue would have blushed. The Cliffe had already suffered a particularly ignoble fate, having been reduced to a squalid brick-veneer unit. Haven't been there myself, but suspect the latter would be about as common in Peppermint Grove as trailer parks in Knightsbridge. Nowadays, at least.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline BriBri

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:10:50 AM »
Urpal.  The Dep Mayor of Fremantle has been talking with PLC about the Cliffe.  PLC wants a bit more space to grow and the Cliffe is next door.  I'm not sure I think that the Cliffe being used a part of a larger school campus is a good thing, and I couldn't be sure that they wouldn't change their needs and continue to alter the place into the future.

I don't know if the schooll could afford it.  They are making sounds like it would probably be too much for them, but they're fooling themselves if they believe they'll every be be able to get anything else cheaper in their neighbourhood.  They are probably crying poor so someone helps with purchase.

The whole idea is a long way from coming to anything.  I can't see it happening.

McNeil, who built the Cliffe, was also very involved in the establishment of PLC.

Offline Max Dembo

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
I saw that, I'm pretty sure,  They played Chinese Rocks as I recall. Did you go Mr Newall? David would have been cross about the ticket saying TRIFFIDS instead of THE TRIFFIDS.

Dembo.
Max Anton Walbrook Dembo

Offline Max Dembo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
Actually it DOES say: THE Triffids. Sorry.
Even I wonder why I bother.

Max

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:32:40 AM »
I did go to the dance. I was there in a semi official way - assisting the school photographer.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:23:10 AM »
Did you dance? Did anybody? What dance numbers did The Triffids perform? A bit of In The Mood on solo viola perhaps? A sliver of Stand By Me as a last waltz to close proceedings?

Tell me more, tell me mo-o-ore!
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
The dance floor was packed. I did dance a bit but mostly I took photos of the guests. I was there with my (now) sister in law who was the official photographer. It was not the glitzy affair that Yr12 balls are now. No designer gowns or stretch limos. The band played most of their up beat numbers from the 4th and 5th tapes. Also a smattering of covers. One I remember is "There's A Kind Of A Hush". David always had a knack of re-inventing songs when he covered them and this doesn't sound much like the original. Much more up beat. A real "toe tapper". Byron Sinclair had already left the band and Will Akers was playing bass.Alot of the other Triffids crew were there - Phil Kakulas and his girlfriend ?MaryAnn, Julian Douglas Smith and Simon Cromack (?? Le Tack). I have some photos I will try to scan and upload.

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »
PLC 2 - David with Kim Salmon (I think) at the edge of the stage
PLC 3 - David, ? Justin, ?? girl , Alsy, Rob and Margaret

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
PLC 4 Mary Ann and Phil (and Simon Cromack with camera)
PLC 5 David and unknown camera man with super 8

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »
PLC 6 Rob and Will
PLC 7 Alsy, ?Justin and ?? girl

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »
PLC 8 Julian Douglas Smith, Mark Peters, and ?Justin