Author Topic: A secret in the shape of a song in Hasselt 16 and 17 April 2010  (Read 27631 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: A secret in the shape of a song in Hasselt 16 and 17 April 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
Here is a photo of the sky over Manchester taken from my back garden less than five miles from the airport ten minutes ago. It's been the same since sun up:

Terrible flying conditions don't you think?

The sun was burning my face as I took the snap.

It's rarely that clear a sky over Manchester, I can tell you.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:46:27 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline genkboy

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
Airports are closed in Belgium as well now  :(. The clouds are expected to arrive tomorrow morning.

Hope you guys will make it.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline manicpopthrills

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 09:49:03 PM »
Did the same as you Urpal when I heard the news - looked out the window expecting some indication of the apocolypse - but no fairly clear. The ash seems to be much higher up. Just couldn't quite believe it.

Apparently it's only a 12 hour drive from Fife to Hasselt. If it had been the first weekend of the holidays rather than the last I might have considered it. But there's no way I could attempt coming back from Belgium by car one day and going to work the next. And my 'co-pilot', not unreasonably, isn't up for it in any case. Not looking good.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »
My co-pilot was fairly wobbly about flying to start with and the talk of ash in the jets bringing the whole shebang down has pretty much put paid to me travelling in company now.

As at 5am this morning there was talk of the dust cloud having just hit Scotland. I watched 4 or 5 planes take off from Manchester Airport after I'd checked in and believe it would have been perfectly safe to be flying south to Belgium at the time. The fact that we went through passport control and were told our flight was still going whilst the emergency meeting at Manchester Airport to decide on policy was ongoing suggests the window of opportunity shut in our face prematurely just before the real risk of trouble closed the national scene.

Ah well. So near and yet so far :(

Looks like I could do with Joy's hitching skills or the will to indulge in some left hand driving for the first time ever. The other available options seem to have evaporated.

Manic, if you fancy a new co-pilot I'm prepared to consider options with you - and sharing the driving. Let me know and I'll get in touch by PM. No obligation.

Perhaps we could make it a sponsored event like Country Gent's jaunt to Casablanca taking bets on our getting to Hasselt and back alive?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:55:44 PM by Urpal »

Offline stevenl

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »
What are you doing Urpal?
A quick look on aferry.com and you and companion can be on a Friday morning ferry from Harwick to Hook van Holland with a return on Sunday for 180 quid. A quick train ride from the ferry terminal at Hook to Hasselt and you won't miss a thing!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
Thanks stevenl. That's the first encouraging news I've had all day.

I'll certainly look into it.

BTW where the fuck is Harwick? ;D

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »
What are you doing Urpal?
A quick look on aferry.com and you and companion can be on a Friday morning ferry from Harwick to Hook van Holland with a return on Sunday for 180 quid. A quick train ride from the ferry terminal at Hook to Hasselt and you won't miss a thing!

Sorry to turn the tide (arf) but I have to warn you that is one slow ferry. Or it used to be. Make sure you check the journey time.

Offline stevenl

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 12:17:47 AM »
Thanks stevenl. That's the first encouraging news I've had all day.

I'll certainly look into it.

BTW where the fuck is Harwick? ;D

A bit further down the alphabet from Harwich.

And Eke, six years ago it was a 3 hour trip on one of the catamarans, now it is 6 hour ferry trip!

Don't book a seat or a room and it's only 116 pound!

Oh and if you're organised there is one that leaves tonight at 23:45 but you have to book it by phone as online bookings are only for the next day and beyond.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:20:41 AM by stevenl »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »
Before you go rushing off to the ends of Essex, does anyone know if the band made it across? I'm assuming they went a few days ago, but it might be an idea to check. Time for a quick call to Domino?
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline manicpopthrills

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »
UK airspace now closed until 7 am tomorrow and the situation is unlikely to improve over England in the foreseeable future.

Gubbed, I think.

Urpal, would have seriously considered the car option on a different weekend but I'm wrecked enough at the moment without adding in 24 hours + in a car going to and from anywhere (even if it would have given me a chance to have a proper listen to the box set!). Might have persuaded Mrs M in the middle of the summer hols but now now.

My holiday week started well enough with a trip with our kids' football team to France but to go I had to miss my team's 1st Scottish Cup semi-final in 47 years. Things have gone downhill steadily ever since losing my mobile yesterday and now this.

Gazza - would imagine that the band have been over for several days if the last Hasselt adventure is any indication.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »
OK manic. Understand completely. Hope to see you again before too long.

Just looked at the possibility of an overnight ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge. Still available but there's only one a day, it leaves at 18.30 for an overnight, it's gone 16.00 now and its a minimum 2 hour journey to Hull assuming the M62 around Leeds doesn't hold you up too long. Too risky, particularly as my co-pilot has just unpacked our bags.

Ah well. Didsbury here I come!

Offline Gerooki

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 02:29:46 AM »
Weren't Mr and Mrs Perry Monkey coming over for this?

I wonder where they are?

Offline manicpopthrills

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:47 AM »
Hopefully they're on the right side of the Atlantic, Gerooki.

Our flight has officially been cancelled. Will speak to Ryanair to see if there's any chance of a flight on Saturday but I suspect I know the answer.

:( :( :(

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 05:47:24 AM »
Weren't Mr and Mrs Perry Monkey coming over for this?

When I popped the question to Mr Monkey in February, the answer was "Well, we want to come but the airline tickets are SO expensive right now... around $1000 US!"

On the other hand: the good news is that they are expecting another monkey, so that will surely be one of the special guests on any new evening with The Triffids!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:50:42 AM by lonesomesquare »
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline LAMF

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 07:35:14 AM »
Before you go rushing off to the ends of Essex, does anyone know if the band made it across? I'm assuming they went a few days ago, but it might be an idea to check. Time for a quick call to Domino?

Can report the band are here in Hasselt. Most took the train on Sunday, and the rest arrived today via rail, so  are all present and accounted for.
In the realm of the senseless....