Author Topic: Box Set & "Best Of" pre-release details!!!  (Read 82334 times)

Offline Chris Newall

• Global Moderator
Re: Box Set & "Best Of" pre-release details!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:56 AM »
It it not a matter of being "hard " on Liberation but more that it would be good to show them there is significant interest in this product.

Offline JD

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »
As much as it would have been nice to see an Australian release for the boxset, I think this is something of an academic debate. It is readily available for purchase from overseas and probably will also be available locally on import. Liberation operates as a business enterprise and has clearly made a commercial decision not to put the box set out as it is entitled to do. It is important to note that Liberation has supported the Triffids reissue program locally and ought to be acknowledged for that. They have also supported other reissue programs that could be regarded as 'niche' such as the Not Drowning Waving reissues.  I hope they continue to do so in the future.

I think there is a risk in focussing unduly on the negatives here. The box set looks terrific and I suspect it will be everything that a completist such as myself could hope for. Domino is to be congratulated for putting the resources into releasing it. It is refreshing to see a record label that is run by music enthusiasts and not accountants. Most importantly I think it is important to acknowledge Glee for having the vision and the drive to put the boxset and indeed all the other reissues together. It has been everything and more that a Triffids fan could hope for and nothing less than Dave's legacy deserves.

Offline Kieren

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
Ordered - can't wait!

Offline bdroop

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
well said JD - say I - Liberation are good folks to work with I feel - Anyway Graham and I went through all the computations yesterday - and "what to do" the issue will definitely be 10CD's now - same price.

Just said 8 to be safe - knowing it could be more ( harder to state 10 and then end up only serving up 8 )

Don't buy the normal it's all on the deluxe... - tell the unbelievers about the "normal"

J

Offline bdroop

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »

3. FREE MP3s
http://www.dominorecordco.com/triffidsroad/

you did see this did you?

Offline Stupy

• True Believers (Hunters and Collectors)
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »

3. FREE MP3s
http://www.dominorecordco.com/triffidsroad/

you did see this did you?

Yup - fantastic stuff. Particularly enjoyed Happy Boy... I adore LSI, so that was unexpected and very cool.

As with the above in regards to Liberation. I have the Not Drowning Waving reissues as well; they are beautiful. Also dealt with Liberation for about 7 years relating to Hunters and Collectors. It's always a pleasure.

10 CD's... wow... :) :) :)

Offline hoffy

• Some music should last for ever
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
Yes, Liberation are very good.
Sometimes we need reminding.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 12:34:50 AM »
I enjoyed the downloads, though I'm less of an LSI enthusiast. I was wondering whilst listening to the studio verion of Do You Wanty Me Near You whether it should be tagged as the "Fully Loaded Version" - a thought that hadn't occurred whilst listening to the original.

My other thought was that these three downloads were clearly intended for us completists rather than as a lead in for the curious newcomer as they seem not particularly representative as a sales pitch for my conception of The Triffids sound to the extent such an unquantifiable thing could be pinned down.

What I mean by that is as an "advertising feature" I wouldn't have expected the free downloads to get many newbies rushing to Domino's online pre-order pages. But then I'm probably an out of touch old geezer and completely wrong.

Good stuff all the same.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:53:38 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline bdroop

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 02:52:19 AM »
the free tracks are specifically for the fully initiated. not worried about other folks just at the moment. What track should we give the the great unwashed and if we do how best to get it out and about - anything more than the usual facebook etc etc ? that sort of thing exercises us daily and sometimes hourly...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 04:29:39 AM »
Who are you particularly wishing to pitch to? Presumably it would be good to catch the attentions of a wider bracket of the next generation somehow (16-30ish). I think it would be useful to have the input of existing fans from that age bracket. Anybody?

I guess it needs to be a catchy number. I was surprised to find a younger associate of mine was particularly taken with Being Driven, so maybe the hook, line and sinker might come from outside the box.

You'd thing songs like Old Ghostrider, Red Pony, Beautiful waste would have immediate appeal, but who am I to say...

Songs like SP are ultimately the most long-lastingly impressive (the keepers of the losers weepers) but long, sad songs don't necesarily play well on a sunny complexion. Are there many miserable bastards amongst the kids these days? Or don't they get disappointed and strangely wrapped up in love and loss nowadays?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:35:48 AM by Urpal »

Offline npabass

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 05:06:30 AM »
I reckon Beautiful Waste would be the best track to put out there and the most obvious way of doing so would seem to me to give away for free on as many websites/blogs etc as possible.  Not saying it would necessarily work.

Funnily enough I recall this article on Drowned In Sound around the time of the last set of re-issues and in the comments I can be seen bemoaning the lack of an actual review on the site.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/3200542-a-beautiful-waste--in-search-of-the-triffids?search

Well I now write album reviews for DiS so I would be more than willing to do a review of it come release time.  In fact why don't i review the whole boxset!??! I'll need a free promo copy of course... 8)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »
That's good npabass.

It's sad to say it, but it seems about the only way to achieve serious market penetration these days is either getting a music placement in an attention catching youth-orientated ad for clothing, mobile phones or something fast and furious or getting a performance on a reality TV contest of the X Factor ilk.

Even if you're an icon like Elvis or The Beatles its become something of a struggle to keep your flame alive - and both of their marketings have resorted to a drift in that direction (see A Little Less Conversation & the recent ad featuring a re-invented All You Need Is Love as examples) .

Perhaps Property Is Condemned should be put up for consideration. Ad execs seem to enjoy that sort of irony. You might imagine that advertising was the last refuge of the former Trotskyite :).

I expect that at some stage this situation will shift because as the luxuries of choice widen exponentially so the world's psychological horizons feel more closed down and claustrophobic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:44:16 AM by Urpal »

Offline stevenl

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
Urpal you're correct about advertising although it doesn't always turn out the way we'd like.
Nick Drake and the Purple Moon Volkswagen ads being a good example of the success.
X Factor or Idol versions may help a particular song but generally the focus remains on the performer.

Alternatively a The Dead Weather's cover version of Hell of a Summer, that charts and in every interview Jack and Alison give pays homage to the brilliance of David's songs would generate a renewed interest. Or maybe Marty could break into Life of Crime each night during Nick's next stadium tour???

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »
Urpal you're correct about advertising although it doesn't always turn out the way we'd like.

No, you're right. When it comes to musical product placement advertising seems to render everything valueless by giving it a price - and desensitising the imagination and esprit of the song by putting it in a box marked "commerce".

I like your ideas about some musical biggish names throwing their weight behind a Triffids tune, but it ain't happened yet (only highly respected ones).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:10:57 AM by Urpal »

Offline stevenl

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
Alternatively I know this great movie that highlights the brilliance of Dave's songwriting, now if we could only get everyone to sit down and watch it ;)