Author Topic: A Secret In The Shape Of A Song at The Barbican  (Read 34384 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: A Secret In The Shape Of A Song at The Barbican
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »
The blackeyed susans have announced a gig at The Borderline in London on the Saturday after the ASITSOAS show at the barbi! Featuring special guests including Chris Abrahams & Mel Oxley. May I put in an early request for The Way That You See Me. Im not even sure Ill be going but a confirmation on that would hold some sway :)

Unless I misread it this would be the susans first ever UK gig. Under the circumstances just being there meets the request.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
It's possible there could be quite a few extra special guests at the Borderline gig.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
Given that the last time I was at the Borderline was for this, I'm feeling a tad envious just at the moment.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »
A Chris and Mel gig is very rare in this country and as far as I know it will be their first outside Australia. They did support for Susans in Sydney not so long ago and it was great to see them play. Anyone who frequents these forums is likely to be fairly well acquainted with the Blackeyed Susans but not so well with C&M. To have both on the same bill is a rare pleasure I would suggest. I imagine Chris will play with Susans as will I and most of the cast will be there in celebratory mood. Whether they're onstage or off I couldn't at this point predict. 

Offline Padders

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »
Does anyone know when tickets might go on sale for this? I feel a weekend in London coming on!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
They're already on sale at ticketweb & meanfiddler's online ticket service according to the band's facebook announcement.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:36:30 PM by Urpal »

Offline mark t

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:58 AM »
A Chris and Mel gig is very rare in this country and as far as I know it will be their first outside Australia.

a gig by chris's other other band 'roil' is also a rare thing- a few coming up soon including March 14 at Bennetts Lane.

http://www.myspace.com/roilmeaning?utm_source=Sound+Travellers+Mailing+list&utm_campaign=3867aeb82e-February_newsletter_1_11_2010&utm_medium=email

a more traditional approach to experimentation (than the necks) from a standard jazz trio. Seriously good. Three generous examples of which are on the myspace site.

http://www.rufusrecords.com.au/artists/roil.html

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 09:40:56 AM »
A glance at the itinerary tells me Chris is going to well limbered up for our shows.

Offline Sando

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
Hi all,

I actually have a really good spare ticket for sale for this if anybody is interested (or knows someone who might be interested). My girlfriend has decided to come along, so I have bought 2 seats together a bit further back from this original seat, which is Row C, Seat 53. So if anybody fancies sitting in the front rows or knows someone who might like to, there's a ticket here for you. Let me know anyway.......
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:40:45 PM by Sando »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Technical difficulties at the Barbican: a zebra finch has laid an egg on a Les Paul.

We can only hope they don't take up residence in the auditorium.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
They could be extra special guests.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »
Whilst the songs will undoubtedly be the stars, I can't help noticing that the bearded wonder in the crooked shape of Warren P Ellis (actually there is probably no P, but I will argue there should be :) - if only to avoid confusion with this other beardy fella) will be adding some shadings to the songs. So that's good.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
That's right Warren has recently signed on. We are pleased to say that he's not only doing the Barbican but will be coming to Hasselt as well. His beard will of course be shaved as stipulated in his contract. Having once shaved Mark Snarski on stage at the Harold Park Hotel in Sydney I feel I'm up to the challenge.
So The Barbican is currently The Songs supported by The Triffids, The Blackeyed Susans, Chris Abrahams and Melanie Oxley, The Snarski Brothers, Mick Harvey, Stuart Staples, Lightspeed Champion, Simon Breed, Ricky Maymi, Warren Ellis - and there will be the odd sighting of Julian Wu. Three weeks to go to showday, two weeks until we leave. 

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
That's right Warren has recently signed on.....His beard will of course be shaved as stipulated in his contract.  

You obviously can't have unfair contract terms legislation in Australia then :). Isn't that usury or slavery or something?....er, samsonisation maybe?

Warren without his beard would now be like Christmas without Santa. Still, if you close mic the onstage shave it might have a similar effect to that percussion instrument he's so fond of.

The Songs have a fine support act there. Simon Breed is another surprising development.

I assume the Susans will include JP Shilo, Mark Dawson and Phil Kakulas, but exclude Droning Dan Luscombe (in the absent rather than outcast sense)?

Will Handsome Steve be dapperly holding proceedings together by the skin of his teeth on charm and good looks alone as usual?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:12:55 AM by Urpal »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »
Correct about Susans. Dan doesn't play with them much these days. As far as regular members go the one missing out is Kiernan Box, who played in costar as well. Financial considerations precluded bringing three keyboard players with us.
Yes, Steve is at this moment coming up with new pearls of wisdom for you all. I cannot yet say if they will be Flemish pearls in Hasselt and Greek pearls in Athens. Anything is possible.