Author Topic: A Secret In The Shape Of A Song at The Barbican  (Read 34357 times)

Offline glee

• Administrator
A Secret In The Shape Of A Song at The Barbican
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
A Secret In the Shape Of A Song comes to The Barbican. Full details of line-up to come.

Offline seangr

Re: A Secret In The Shape Of A Song at The Barbican
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
Fantastic News!!! Tickets on sale now.

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=10108&utm_campaign=CCCON140110A&utm_source=Monthly_Contemporary_E-update&utm_medium=Internal_Email&utm_content=CCCON140110A_Triffids_title

'A spectacular gathering of the remaining members of cult Australian heroes The Triffids, together with a star cast of guest musicians  and vocalists to showcase and celebrate the songwriting genius of their leader David McComb who died in 1999.
In 2006, the remaining members of the band were persuaded to play his music for the first time since they split 17 years previously. Standing on stage and hearing those songs roll out one after the other, like a perfect set of waves, they realised that the best way to remember their departed friend was through his music.

They set to work on a three hour long celebration, featuring an array of special guests, which was unveiled at the Sydney Festival in 2008 a show which now comes to The Barbican.

Classics like Wide Open Road and Bury Me Deep in Love are performed alongside B-sides and unreleased works in a night of song that no-one wants to end.

A Secret In The Shape Of A Song was originally presented by Sydney Festival.'

Offline Sando

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »
This truly is fantastic news. I have been rather out of the loop around here for the last few years, but plan to halt this board hiatus I promise. Anyway, recently been listening to the records again, which led me back to the site, which led me back to the board.........and so on. I really look forward to hearing these wonderful songs in a live setting.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »
Hi Sando. Welcome back. Maybe see you in London then.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Sando

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »
Hi Urpal,

Yep, hope to see everyone from the boards who may be going!

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
Hello Sando old lad.
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline deadjoe

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:13:57 AM »
Any news on the line-up??
I just saw that Mick Harvey and the Blackeyed Susans are part of the line-up in Belgium, so I was wondering if they're also part of the line-up in London..?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:37:40 AM »
Hi deadjoe. The Blackeyed Susans have mentioned on their facebook that they are in Europe for the ASITSOAS shows and may also be doing a few other live dates whilst over. I guess that's a yes on them then.

No idea about Mick Harvey, but I'd be surprised if he, Ricky Maymi, JP Shilo and Julian Wu weren't part of the trip as they have all been staples of the Triffids "support band", or more accurately orchestration, for the Sydney, Perth & Melbourne shows (and we know Chris Abrahams and Melanie Oxley, who fit the same bill, will be there).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:40:13 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline deadjoe

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 05:26:41 AM »
Great, thanks for the info, Urpal.

I wrote to Mick on Myspace, and he said that he'll be performing at all the ASITSOAS shows in Europe  :)

Offline Mint

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »
Like Sando, I had sadly lost touch with the triffids community over the last few years, I dropped in occasionally to see what was happening, but didn't do more than that, just drop in. I guess that when the initial excitement of the main re-issue program finished, and I had acquired all of the editions, then I drifted away.....my loss.                                                                                             
So imagine my excitement when I dropped by and found out about this exciting announcement, this really does sound like a great night, and I am already looking forward to what will be, i'm sure, quite an emotional night.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
Some shots from the Melbourne gig have found their way onto the Barbican website  feeling rather jealous of those of you who'll be there this time around.

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but there's also a gallery of shots from the same gig, and the rehearsals, tucked away on Steven's DVD.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:35 AM »
Groovy!

Sadly I don't have the version of the DVD with your pics Gazza. Should I buy a commercial copy?

Offline Gazza

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:59 AM »
Could maybe post a gallery on the forum or main site, for those of you who have the producers copy. Hardly seems fair to make you cough up again when you were helping Steven fund the film.

Graham?
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline stevenl

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »
Why not Gazza, Eke's got heaps of money ;)

Eke, get in touch and we'll sort something.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
Why not Gazza, Eke's got heaps of money ;)

I must have ::) I'm actually seriously considering getting the commercial version so as to get the film indexed into chapters as well as Gazza's pictures. Maybe it'll be a substitute for not being able to go to the Barbican in April.