Author Topic: Angie Hart - Cover of I Want To Conquer You  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Angie Hart - Cover of I Want To Conquer You
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
It would seem that a new limited edition EP issued with singer Angie Hart's latest LP includes a cover version of "I Want To Conquer You", which the publicity erroneously, though perhaps deliberately for easier public association, suggests is a song by The Triffids.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=9565_REVIEW:_Angie_Hart_-_Eat_My_Shadow

Anyone heard it? It's noteworthy that, after Melanie Oxley's performance of the song at the ASITSOAS shows, this is the second feminised take on the song in such a short space of time - and a song which might easily be taken as having a marked masculine thrust.

Anyone heard it?
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

Re: Angie Hart - Cover of I Want To Conquer You
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:01:44 AM »
Hmm. Not convinced by that.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
Have to agree I'm afraid.

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »
Yeah, 30 sec of Angie Hart doing this is not enough, you just don't know if she'll go all Frente for the rest of the song!

Offline Gazza

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
On the contrary: 30 seconds was far, far too much. Part of the problem might have been down to some weird audio processing on the web page, but not all of it. She sounds like a drunk trying to impersonate Marilyn Monroe. Meanwhile, the pianist sounded as if he or she had been pressed into service after the first choice accompanist for an infant's school pantomime had suffered a grievous accident. It hardly needs saying, but neither of them did anything for the song.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:43:42 AM »
She sounds like a drunk trying to impersonate Marilyn Monroe...

...trying to impersonate Dame Edna Everage :)

I thought it was politely OK myself as far as it goes, but assume from what's available that it doesn't go very much further.

This response brings to mind a recent post I read on the Leonard Cohen forum from a regular there with the username Blond Madonna (who, from what I can gather is (a) Australian and (b) a Triffids fan, and who leaves me with the impression that he or she may have some kind of "inside track" on the musical world or show biz generally):

I think song writers are happy for their songs to be covered. I doubt they care if the cover is "good" or "bad".

As for the fans, who do seem to care, they can choose not to listen.  

BM

Do you think that would be about right?

As an aside, I went to see Manchester comedy icon Frank Sidebottom perform a gig last week and he did a comedy ditty of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart, as well as other indie notable's such as The Pistols' Anarchy In The UK re-visited in Chas & Dave bar piano/Vic Reeves' club singer stylee. I found myself in a quandry over whether Ian Curtis' song was suitable for a comedy treatment in view of the emotional space he must have been occupying when he wrote it, but didn't really find an answer from myself so just enjoyed the spectacle instead.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:40:05 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline camm

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
Harsh comments  ;D

Offline stevenl

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »
On the contrary: 30 seconds was far, far too much. Part of the problem might have been down to some weird audio processing on the web page, but not all of it. She sounds like a drunk trying to impersonate Marilyn Monroe. Meanwhile, the pianist sounded as if he or she had been pressed into service after the first choice accompanist for an infant's school pantomime had suffered a grievous accident. It hardly needs saying, but neither of them did anything for the song.

Gazza, do yourself a favour and don't listen to her version of Reckless then, it's like a Goulburn eisteddfod entrant, complete with Kawai organ!

Honestly it's criminal more people haven't heard; David's original; Melanie's version with Chris' arrangement.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Had completely forgotten about that page, and had recently been playing Four Hours Sleep (which Hart also sings on) so I went back and had another listen. My only regret about my part in any 'harsh comments' is that I was so inappropriately gentle. Those five recordings are some of the worst covers I've ever heard, with the version of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out perhaps just edging out I Want To Conquer You. I can just about cope with the version of Reckless, but that's surely because I don't know the original. Hart's version can't add insult to injury, though the injury itself is still grievous.