Author Topic: Raining Pleasure  (Read 15609 times)

Offline LAMF

Re: Raining Pleasure
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »
Mick Harvey has been playing Raining Pleasure in his sets as of late too. He played it at the PJ Harvey show last month and tonight at the show I saw him play at the Tote earlier tonight.
In the realm of the senseless....

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »
Intertesting - male singers taking ownership of this song!
How are you LAMF, haven't seen you post for a bit, was going to PM you and see what you've been up to after your recent tour.

Offline LAMF

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »
I've been away from the computer for a while post Triffids shows. In answer to Mark's question I've been well, but extremely busy.
Less than 10 days after the Sydney festival was a few weeks with Kelley Stoltz travelling up and down the Eastern seaboard, and then I was playing with Spiral Stairs from Pavement for a one off show at the Tote which was two weeks ago, and then some houseguests from Portland. Now I'm finally trying to settle back into my regular life and catch up on some much needed rest and start saving up for my next overseas trip.

To get back on topic, it seems like Mick has been doing his bit to keep the flame alive, as this is the second song by David he's covered now as a solo artist. (Everything Fixed Is Killed was the previous one)
In the realm of the senseless....

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »
Glad to hear all is well with you LAMF.

I'm sure Mick Harvey will have done Raining Pleasure justice after seeing him at Sydney. Would have like to have seen that. I didn't go to PJ's Perth show (but I did take my son along and go and see Schvendes and a really cool documentary on Perth music  ;) ). I might have to make a mention of that elsewhere, it featured interviews with our beloved Triffids (mainly Alsey & Rob and glee too). And a fair amount of other Perth related stuff!

Offline Blue Straggler

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
Mary Wyer, previously of 80s-90s Australian band Even As We Speak, here doing Raining Pleasure

The Triffids - Raining pleasure (cover)

Interesting to see Angie Hart's name listed on another thread. Frente's famous acoustic cover of New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle came a good few years after Even As We Speak gave it the same treatment. Hart used to say she loved Even As We Speak, then when Frente recorded their New Order cover she claimed never to have heard Even As We Speak's version! Ha!

As for The Paradise Motel, I believe their lead singer was a woman called Merida Sussex. Their cover of "Drive" by The Cars is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. Better than the "real thing"
Drive The Paradise Motel

here ends the tangent

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:15 AM »
Can't even listen to the opening synth/orchestral fluctuating chord part of "Drive" without visions of a particular starving Ethiopian child. Is that phenomenon peculiar to Brits of a certain age?

Anyway, I like Mary Wyer's breezy and light version of Raining Pleasure. Makes an interesting foil to the dark, gloamin undertones of the original.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline perrymonkey

• Another Christmas Carol
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
I like it:

Zita Swoon - Raining Pleasure (Triffids cover)
http://youtu.be/qyQnshIbKgM

Zita Swoon is a Belgian indie rock group. They entered the music scene of Antwerp in 1993.
proud 2B a TriffHead

Offline genkboy

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 06:00:36 AM »
Yes, great version. If you can get your hands on the music in a box cd/dvd, don't hesitate. It has 2 verslons of rp and lots of fantastic other tracks.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing